ICRC - International Committee of the Red Cross
ICRC Delegation in Odessa
Please note that the ICRC is not a UN-system organization.
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organization whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance.
The ICRC is mandated to work in countries affected by armed conflict or other situations of violence. The ICRC is present in over 80 countries and has some 19,000-field staff.
In 2014, the ICRC expanded its presence to Ukraine. There are more than 600 ICRC staff working in Kyiv, Dnipro, Poltava, Vinnytsia, Lviv, Donetsk, Luhansk, and Odesa.
The ICRC is looking for an enthusiastic and motivated person to fill the position of Weapon Contamination (WeC) Field Officer in its sub-delegation in Odesa.
The Weapon Contamination (WeC) Field Officer implements directly or supports the implementation and monitoring of ICRC WeC activities. S/he contributes directly to ensuring staff safety and the continuation of critical operations, helping vulnerable people and supporting National Societies in situations where conventional or non-conventional weapon contamination poses a hazard through delivery of Risk Awareness & Safer Behaviour ( RASB) activities to internally displaced persons ( IDPs), returnees and people on transit.
Functional general responsibilities:
- Collects and compiles WeC-related information.
- Contributes to building the capacity of the national authorities and National Societies.
- Develops and maintains contacts with the authorities at local level.
- Translates/interprets as required by the department.
- Promotes the understanding and implementation of the Movement Strategy on Landmines, Cluster Munitions and other Explosive Remnants of War and the Preventive Mine Action Operations Framework.
- Provides technical support to URCS and other participating national societies (PNS) through training of volunteers and quality management of RASB related activities.
- Acts as a technical reference for any related Weapon Contamination issue and provide guidance on weapon contamination, including the development, planning and implementation and monitoring of planning for results (PfR) objectives.
- Deliver appropriate direct RASB to internally displaced persons (IDPs), returnees and settled communities in Western Ukraine; deliver child-friendly RASB sessions in schools and/or in child-friendly spaces.
- Determines the needs of the affected civilian population and effectively respond to the weapon contamination threat, using the integrated approach. Wherever possible and feasible address the needs through the Movement approach i.e. jointly with the Local Red Cross Society.
- Provide support for all activities aimed to increase capacity of relevant national MA actors (SESU, STS, UAF) in his/her AoR.
- Support RASB Delegate in provision of WeC Safety Briefings to newly recruited resident staff as well as new Delegates joining the delegation through Lviv.
- Promotes, support and directly implement WeC activities, whenever is needed and relevant, such as Risk Awareness and Safe Behaviour, Risk reduction, Non Technical Survey, Marking and other WeC activities (70% – this line and above)
- Conducts weapon contamination safety briefings for the ICRC and Movement employees working in the affected areas and act as a reference point for safety from weapon contamination. (10%)
- Contributes to the regular reporting of the technical activities to the delegation and sub-delegation
- Ensures that the WeC activities are implemented according to internal quality and technical standards and proposes adjustments or improvements if necessary.
- Participate in the design and dissemination of tailored Information, Education and Communication (IEC) materials to support RASB activities, including identification of new IEC needs.
- Acts as a technical reference and contributor to Prot lead PCP and/or CoH cases, if required
- Liaise and maintain contacts with other mine action actors working in the respective AoR.
- Contributes to the integral approach of sub delegation, by providing WeC expertise through transversal way and jointly participate in assessment, analyse , implementation and monitoring of relevant ICRC activities, with aim to reduce impact and number of mine/ERW accidents (20% – this line and above)
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- Relevant degree from a university or technical college.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English, Ukrainian, and Russian
- Excellent computer skills.
- At least 3 years overall professional experience
- 2 years’ work experience in WeC/mine action or a similar field.
- Academically or professionally proficient in a technical WeC-related subject or pedagogics.
- Previous experience with the ICRC or other humanitarian agency desired.
- Knowledge of the ICRC/humanitarian work an asset.
- Good knowledge of the geographic area assigned.
- Excellent teaching and presentation skills.
- Proficiency in Dialogue with authorities/arms carriers, Capacity building, Result-based management cycle, Context and dynamic analysis, Community and outreach activities, Security Awareness & Response
- Skilled in the following competencies: Adapting & Learning, Communication (ability to express and exchange views and ideas), Analysis & Synthesis.
Social package and other benefits
- Official employment according to Ukrainian labour law
- Annual paid 28 calendar days’ vacation
- Medical insurance for employees and family
- ICRC Institutional training
- Individual development covered by ICRC
- foreign language courses
- Convenient office location in the city centre
Starting date: ASAP
How to apply
Please submit your CV, along with your motivation letter in English and salary expectations to the attention of the Human Resources Department.
Application deadline: 24/10/2022
Only candidates meeting the above-mentioned criteria will be considered and contacted for tests and/or interviews. No inquiries by phone, please.
ICRC is Equal Opportunity Employer giving the highest priority to staff safety and security.
For more information, visit the website: (link)