ICRC - International Committee of the Red Cross
ICRC in Kyiv
Please note that the ICRC is not a UN-system organization.
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organization whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance.
The ICRC is mandated to work in countries affected by armed conflict or other situations of violence. The ICRC is present in over 80 countries and has some 19,000-field staff.
In 2014, the ICRC expanded its presence to Ukraine. There are more than 600 ICRC staff working in Kyiv, Dnipro, Poltava, Vinnytsia, Lviv, Donetsk, Luhansk, and Odesa.
The ICRC is looking for an enthusiastic and motivated person to fill the position of Weapon Contamination Field Officer in its sub-delegation in Kyiv North.
The Weapon Contamination (WeC) Field Officer supports, implements, and monitors ICRC WeC activities. S/he contributes to ensuring staff safety and the continuation of critical operations. S/he supports data collection, analysis, and reporting to provide assistance to vulnerable people and Red Cross-National Society in situations where conventional or non-conventional weapon contamination poses a hazard.
Functional general responsibilities:
- Provides contextual and dynamic updates on WeC related events in operations and relays appropriate internal information
- Supports the WeC Specialist and team with regular and adhoc tasks such as meetings, translations, field trips, reporting
- Works with the WeC team to develop Risk Awareness and Safer Behavior (RASB) activities including messaging and communication
- Contributes to the needs assessment and prioritization of RASB activities in the areas of intervention
- Implements RASB sessions in local communities, with the public, Red Cross & Red Crescent Movement (RC/RC) and other partners
- Contributes to the development of activities and approaches within the WeC team, as well as other departments for planning and response to needs as per ICRC’s mandate
- Develops a thorough understanding of Red Cross & Red Crescent Movement (RC/RC) guidelines and implementation on RASB
- Contributes to the development of WeC Victims database and supports Victim Assistance activities in collaboration with other ICRC departments
- Conducts monitoring, evaluation, and reporting on impacts of RASB activities
- Contributes to staff safety activities when necessary
- Initiates and maintains relationships with external interlocutors (SESU, STS, UAF, etc.)
- Participates in WeC related forums, workshops, trainings on national and regional levels
- Willingness to work long periods with overnights in field locations (in ICRC premises or hotels).
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- Degree from a university or technical college relevant to the position.
- Very good command of written and spoken Ukrainian and English
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and/or computer savvy.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Willingness to learn and develop skills in the Weapon Contamination field.
Desirable Qualifications and Skills:
- Previous experience working in the humanitarian or development sector
- Experience in capacity building as well as community and outreach activities
- Experience in liaising with authorities and other actors
- Good knowledge of the geographic area assigned.
Social package and other benefits
- Official employment according to Ukrainian labour law
- Annual paid 20 days vacation
- Medical insurance for employees and family
- ICRC Institutional training
- Individual development covered by ICRC
- Foreign language courses
- Convenient office location in the city centre
Starting date: ASAP
How to apply:
Please submit your CV, along with your motivation letter in English and salary expectations to the attention of the Human Resources Department.
Application deadline: 23 February 2023
Only candidates meeting the above-mentioned criteria will be considered and contacted for tests and/or interviews. No inquiries by phone, please.
ICRC is Equal Opportunity Employer giving the highest priority to staff safety and security.
For more information, visit the website: (link)