Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia
Posting Title: Water and Agriculture Expert
Department/Office: Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia
Duty Station: BEIRUT
Posting Period: 20 September 2022 – 26 September 2022
Job Opening Number: 22-Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia-191122-Consultant
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Result of Service
1. Advise on the range of expertise needed includes, inter alia: water accounting, crop mapping, remote sensing, determination of ET and legal, institutional and regulation frameworks;
2. Participate in the regular meetings organized with partners (FAO, ESCWA and the Joint Technical Secretariat JTS) to provide regular feedback and report on the progress of Palestinian Country Team;
3. Participate in workshops held on the local application of Guidelines to be held in person on 26-27 Sept 2022 and virtually on 3-4 Oct 2022.
4. Monitor the work of the Palestinian country teams to ensure adequate understanding and appropriation of the project approach.
5. Guide and assist the Palestinian country teams in upgrading the “concepts notes” into “draft action plans”.
6. Support the Palestinian country teams in the finalization of the action plans.
The duration of this consultancy is a maximum of 4.5 months from the effective date of signature of the contract and shall not exceed the 31st of January 2023.
Work Assignment: 20 workdays
The High-Level Joint Water-Agriculture Technical Committee (HLJTC), in its first meeting held in October 2019, requested the Joint Technical Secretariat of the Joint Water-Agriculture Arab Ministerial Council and partner organizations, FAO and ESCWA, to assist in developing Guidelines on Improved Allocation of Water Resources for Agriculture in the Arab region.
In addition to the endorsement of the Guidelines by the Ministers responsible for Water and Agriculture, the resolution of the Second Joint Ministerial Council proposed the voluntary implementation of the Guidelines at country level through the implementation of pilot projects with Support provided by ESCWA and FAO-RNE. Four countries officially expressed their interest in applying the Guidelines at a pilot scale: Egypt, Jordan, Palestine, and Tunisia.
The consultant will be responsible for:
- Supporting the Palestinian Country team in Application of Guidelines for water allocation for agriculture;
- Guiding the Palestinian country teams in the identification of priority information/data needs, identification of available ground-based and remotely sensed data, identification of data gaps and assessment of data quality.
- Monitor the progress of the Palestinian country team and assist in identification of country’ prerequisites and resources available to implement the pilot project.
- Assist the Palestinian country teams in the preparation of “country concept notes and detailed action plans for implementation”.
- Assist the Palestinian country team in upgrading the “concept note” into a “preliminary action plan”.
Skills: Good analytical, appraisal and planning skills. Computer literacy is required.
Academic Qualifications: A Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, relevant to sustainable energy and/or economics is required.
Master’s degree or equivalent in Engineering, relevant to sustainable energy and/or economics is desirable.
Experience: A minimum of ten years expertise in the field of water resources management or related areas, with visible experience (research and field work) on the legal, institutional, and technical aspects of water rights and allocation systems in the Arab region is required.
Language: Fluency in English and Arabic languages, spoken and written is required.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.