UNEP - United Nations Environment Programme
UNEP Brasilia Office
Posting Title: UNEP-GEF LAC Project Specialist
Department/Office: United Nations Environment Programme
Duty Station: BRASILIA
Posting Period: 23 January 2023 – 01 February 2023
Job Opening Number: 23-United Nations Environment Programme-199735-Consultant
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Result of Service
Internalize, respond to executing partner queries, review executing partner reports, provide adaptive management, and monitor projects within UNEP’s portfolio of medium- and full-sized GEF mitigation projects in Latin America and the Caribbean.
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system, and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. This consultancy is in UNEP’s Economy Division, Energy and Climate Branch, Climate Change Mitigation Unit, and will be home based.
UNEP’s Economy Division works with a portfolio of Global Environment Facility (GEF) medium-size and full-size climate change mitigation projects in Latin America and the Caribbean. The projects, which are in different stages of development (concept, design, implementation, closure), are executed by different partners (Ministries, NGOs, etc.) throughout the region. The Economy Division, in its role as implementing agency, provides oversight and ensures adherence to GEF guidelines.
Under the supervision of the Task Manager for Latin America and the Caribbean for GEF mitigation projects, the GEF Project Specialist is required to develop and manage part of UNEP’s portfolio of GEF mitigation projects in Latin America and the Caribbean. Thematic areas of these projects include those related to climate transparency, electric mobility, energy efficiency, and sustainable cities.
Specific tasks and responsibilities
The consultant will undertake the following duties: Project management
- Prepare reports to the Task Manager on the progress and risk situation of projects in the LAC portfolio, and submit to the Task Manager strategy documents to effectively mitigate identified project risks;
- Prepare and send half-yearly report templates to Executing Agencies for projects in the LAC portfolio, hold meetings with these agencies and send guidance emails to ensure correct and timely completion of the reports, and review such reports to ensure their timely completion;
- Prepare and send project implementation review report templates to Executing Agencies for projects in the LAC portfolio, hold meetings with these agencies and send guidance emails to ensure correct and timely completion of the reports, and review such reports to ensure their timely completion;
- Prepare mid-term review (MTR) terms of reference and review mid-term review reports for projects, sending a summary of the MTR to the Task Manager when the review is completed. Prepare an MTR implementation plan to facilitate Executing Agency implementation of MTR recommendations;
- Provide inputs for facilitating the technical and financial closure of projects;
- Travel to undertake the previous tasks in the country, as required and decided by the Task Manager.
- Develop draft legal agreements for new projects and project extensions;
- Prepare documents for UNEP project internalization and revision processes, and provide inputs to ensure completed UNEP clearance and approval processes;
- Prepare project supervision plans and risk logs for projects and periodically update them. Request the Executing Agencies to update their procurement plans and review such plans, providing inputs to finalize them;
- Prepare project revision documents for technical and financial revisions for projects, ensuring that project revision documentation is complete for UNEP approval;
- Prepare budget revision templates when requested by Executing Agencies, send guidance emails to Executing Agencies on the budget revision template, review budget revisions received and provide feedback to Executing Agencies as necessary in order for them to complete the document correctly;
- Review expenditure reports together with the finance team to ensure (a) correct amounts have been charged; (b) expenditures are aligned with project deliverables and thus acceptable; (c) expenditure is not exceeding the budget line allocations and overall budget. Send feedback emails to Executing Agencies in order for the agency to complete the document correctly
- Review cash advance requests in collaboration with the finance team. Provide guidance to Executing Agencies in order for them to complete the document correctly.
- Prepare a report identifying measures to enhance the effectiveness of portfolio management tools;
- Develop and implement measures to visualize and graphically represent portfolio data for facilitating decision-making;
- Develop and implement measures to enhance the effectiveness of the portfolio filing system;
- Prepare databases for the uploading of information to the Integrated Planning, Management and Reporting (IPMR) solution system by the end of November, and upload information to the system;
- Undertake research to identify ways to enhance the effectiveness of portfolio management and operations;
- Develop flowcharts for the development, review, and approval of technical and financial documents.
- Advanced university degree in one of the following fields is required: project management, engineering, law, business administration, environmental management or policy, economics, development, finance, or a related discipline is required; A first-level degree with an additional two (2) years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree is required;
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience in managing projects related to climate change, environment, or development is required;
- Experience in reviewing project documents, progress reports, work plans, and financial documents (budgets and expenditure reports) is required;
- Experience in working with national governments of Latin America and the Caribbean is required;
- Experience working with GEF, GCF, CDM, or UNEP projects is desirable;
- Experience in working for multilateral or bilateral funding entities in the field of climate change, environment, or development is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this consultancy, fluency in oral and written English and Spanish is required.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.