UNIDO - United Nations Industrial Development Organization
Title: Team Assistant
Requisition ID: 1444
Grade: SB2 – Local support
Duty Station: CPR – Other cities
Category: Local Support Personnel Type of Job Posting: Internal and External
Employment Type: Non-staff, Regular Application deadline: 01-Dec-2022
Vacancy Announcement TEMPORARY APPOINTMENT OF PROJECT PERSONNEL
Only nationals or permanent residents of the country of the duty station are considered eligible. Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT The United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) is the specialized agency of the United Nations that promotes industrial development for poverty reduction, inclusive globalization and environmental sustainability. The mission of UNIDO, as described in the Lima Declaration adopted at the fifteenth session of the UNIDO General Conference in 2013 as well as the Abu Dhabi Declaration adopted at the eighteenth session of UNIDO General Conference in 2019, is to promote and accelerate inclusive and sustainable industrial development (ISID) in Member States. The relevance of ISID as an integrated approach to all three pillars of sustainable development is recognized by the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the related Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which will frame United Nations and country efforts towards sustainable development. UNIDO’s mandate is fully recognized in SDG-9, which calls to “Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation”. The relevance of ISID, however, applies in greater or lesser extent to all SDGs. Accordingly, the Organization’s programmatic focus is structured in four strategic priorities: Creating shared prosperity; Advancing economic competitiveness; Safeguarding the environment; and Strengthening knowledge and institutions. Each of these programmatic fields of activity contains a number of individual programmes, which are implemented in a holistic manner to achieve effective outcomes and impacts through UNIDO’s four enabling functions: (i) technical cooperation; (ii) analytical and research functions and policy advisory services; (iii) normative functions and standards and quality-related activities; and (iv) convening and partnerships for knowledge transfer, networking and industrial cooperation. Such core functions are carried out in Departments/Offices in its Headquarters, Regional Offices and Hubs and Country Offices.
The Directorate of Global Partnerships and External Relations (GLO), headed by a Managing Director, is responsible for UNIDO’s relations with Member States and all external partners, including through the Policymaking Organs. It plays a central role for interaction and collaboration with traditional and non-traditional donors; oversees the regional bureaus as well as the network of established field offices, liaison offices and Investment and Technology Promotion Offices; and supports the implementation of particularly complex projects, programmes and special assignments, thus also fulfilling an important role in safeguarding their quality and the reputation of the Organization.
The Division of ITPOs and Institutional Partnerships (GLO/ITP) will link UNIDO’s Investment and Technology Promotion Offices (ITPOs) with international corporate partners and use the ITP network to forge, in collaboration with IET/PPP and GLO/FLS, partnerships with development partners. It will engage in match-making and partnership development at corporate, institutional, and political levels to support developing countries and countries with economies in transition in becoming attractive investment locations resulting in increased levels of investments and, through investors and partners that the ITPOs bring to the table, engage in technology exchange partnerships that enable them to adopt new technologies for sustainable industrial development.
ITPO Beijing is part of the UNIDO ITP Network. ITPO Beijing was first established in January 1996 under an agreement between the People’s Republic of China and UNIDO and its mission is to promote both inward and outward investment and technology transfer. ITPO Beijing will provide value-added advisory services to institutions including business development organizations, local governments, and investment promotion agencies to mobilize investment, technology, knowledge and technical skills for the implementation of sustainable, inclusive and innovative projects in developing countries and in China.
The project addresses issues related to SDG 8 (Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all), SDG 9 (Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation), SDG 17 (Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development) and falls in line with UNIDO’s vision of “Inclusive and Sustainable Industrial Development – ISID”.
Under the overall supervision of the Investment and Technology Promotion Division Chief and direct supervision of the Head of the UNIDO ITPO Beijing, the Team/Office Assistant provides clerical and general administrative support and is responsible for the following key functions: MAIN DUTIES
- Assist in coordinating the administrative tasks related to the monitoring of substantive activities and resources of ITPO Beijing SRCC, including keeping records of the portfolio of programmes under implementation in the country and countries of coverage; ensures logistics for evaluation missions and other visitors to the country; supports in the organization of global forum activities, workshops, events or any promotional activity within the country and abroad; advises on financial resources required (obtaining local proforma invoices for procurements for goods and services, ensuring UNIDO rules and regulations are fully met) and deals with other administration tasks (local recruitments and payments).
- Support in internal communication with staff at all levels, as necessary, in relation to office administration and project administration, finance and UNIDO policy matters, National Project Directors, UNIDO Representatives and Project offices, as necessary, in relation to project implementation and financial issues. To provide assistance and answer queries on all administrative issues.
- Perform administrative activities of ITPO Beijing SRCC as assigned by the supervisor: monitoring the supervisor’s calendar, receiving external visits, preparing routine correspondence and all logistics for travel arrangements, ensuring logistical support to HQ staff on mission, maintaining an updated archiving system in both paper and electronic forms, keeping updated directories of local counterparts and bodies, keeping ITPO Office inventory of assets, supervise activities concerned with office maintenance, transport and services; be aware of UNIDO Financial Rules & Regulations and be able to extract the required information from intranet and SAP and provide guidance to other office staff, etc.
- Support the Head and ITPO Staff in visibility and communication activities: assisting in updates of ITPO Beijing Web Page and social media presence, assist in contacts with Chinese public media, participate in collection of materials and information for ITPO publication and reports.
- Assist in the preparation of project financial statements and manage project budgets: Monitor availability of funds and project expenditures and liaise with ITP Network Secretariat on financial matters, including requests for budget revisions. Provide periodic financial reports, as required. Be aware of UNIDO Financial Rules & Regulations and be able to extract the required information from the UNIDO intranet and SAP and provide guidance to other office staff.
- Collect and provide relevant project information whenever necessary to supervisor(s) and ITP Network Secretariat team at UNIDO Headquarters.
- Contribute in the maintenance of contacts and pertinent documentation on local stakeholders, government institutions, international organizations, locally-based donor institutions, economic organizations, the private sector, and academia.
- Carry out ad-hoc assignments and research activities, as required. And perform any other related duties as assigned.
Formulate and regularly improve daily administrative and financial standards, coordinate the daily work of employees in Beijing and SRCC, and organize or participate in 1 or 2 regular team buildings and internal learnings according to actual needs.
Support ITPO Beijing of global forums, workshops, exhibitions or any promotion activities at home and abroad 3 or 4 times a year.
Provide quality administrative
support for project implementation.
Draft and publish 5-8 event-related news and activity summaries every year, keep in touch with major media, and record all news links for each event.
Organize or participate in project management discussion meetings 2 or 3 times a year.
Collect and provide info as required.
Maintain contacts and related documents with 10-15 local stakeholders, government agencies, international organizations, local donor agencies, economic organizations, the private sector, and academia every year.
As indicated above
As indicated above
WE LIVE AND ACT WITH INTEGRITY: work honestly, openly and impartially.
WE SHOW PROFESSIONALISM: work hard and competently in a committed and responsible manner.
WE RESPECT DIVERSITY: work together effectively, respectfully and inclusively, regardless of our differences in culture and perspective.
WE FOCUS ON PEOPLE: cooperate to fully reach our potential –and this is true for our colleagues as well as our clients. Emotional intelligence and receptiveness are vital parts of our UNIDO identity.
WE FOCUS ON RESULTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES: focus on planning, organizing and managing our work effectively and efficiently. We are responsible and accountable for achieving our results and meeting our performance standards. This accountability does not end with our colleagues and supervisors, but we also owe it to those we serve and who have trusted us to contribute to a better, safer and healthier world.
WE COMMUNICATE AND EARN TRUST: communicate effectively with one another and build an environment of trust where we can all excel in our work.
WE THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX AND INNOVATE: To stay relevant, we continuously improve, support innovation, share our knowledge and skills, and learn from one another.
MINIMUM ORGANIZATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
Education: Completed secondary education and office training or equivalent required.
Technical and Functional Experience: A minimum of three years of relevant experience required, preferably within the UN system or in a multicultural environment, providing support to managerial/professional staff and using secretarial/administrative skills to assist senior management-level staff and in the implementation of work.
Proficient use of processing tools such as Microsoft Office package. Knowledge of SAP an asset. Good drafting and organizational skills.
Languages: Fluency in written and spoken English and Chinese is required. Working knowledge of another official UN language is desirable.
This appointment is limited to the specified project(s) only and does not carry any expectation of renewal. Employees of UNIDO are expected at all times to uphold the highest standards of integrity, professionalism and respect for diversity, both at work and outside. Only persons who fully and unconditionally commit to these values should consider applying for jobs at UNIDO.
All applications must be submitted online through the Online Recruitment System. Correspondence will be undertaken only with candidates who are being considered at an advanced phase of the selection process. Selected candidate(s) may be required to disclose to the Director General the nature and scope of financial and other personal interests and assets in respect of themselves, their spouses and dependents, under the procedures established by the Director General.
Visit the UNIDO website for details on how to apply: (link)
NOTE: The Director General retains the discretion to make an appointment to this post at a lower level.
Notice to applicants: UNIDO does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. If you have received a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Vacant positions within UNIDO are advertised on the official UNIDO website. Should you have any questions concerning persons or companies claiming to be recruiting on behalf of UNIDO and requesting payment of a fee, please contact: [email protected]