Secretariat of the Pacific Community (SPC)
SPC HQ Noumea
The Pacific Community (SPC) is the principal scientific and technical organisation in the Pacific region, supporting development since 1947. We are an international development organisation owned and governed by our 27 country and territory members. In pursuit of sustainable development to benefit Pacific people, our unique organisation works across more than 25 sectors. We are known for our knowledge and innovation in such areas as fisheries science, public health surveillance, geoscience, and conservation of plant genetic resources for food and agriculture.
The Operations and Management Directorate (OMD) provides corporate services to all SPC Divisions and Programmes. It consists of three key departments: Finance, Human Resources and Information Services. OMD is focused on improving the effectiveness of systems, policies and management to provide high-quality customer-oriented services.
The role – the Systems Administrator – Cloud, Linux & HPC will provide expertise in the support and maintenance of Linux systems, websites and HPC infrastructure situated on premises and cloud based. The role will act as a liaison or bridge between ICT and SPC divisions (staff) with various administration capabilities on our systems as well as working with the SPC divisions that require these platforms.
The key responsibilities of the role include the following: Provide administration and support of Linux based systems, websites, and high-performance systems
- Support SPC divisions and programmes with their ICT related HPC requirements.
- Continuously analyse and provide improvements to existing infrastructure.
- Monitor performance, health, and availability of systems.
- Perform regular maintenance and updates.
Administration and Support of SPC ICT Systems
- Provide operational support, monitoring and management of all ICT systems.
- Perform regular maintenance, routine backups, and disaster recovery procedures.
- Monitor the corporate ICT helpdesk to identify emerging issues.
Technical leadership in ICT systems infrastructure related disciplines
- Participate in the development, preparation and delivery of training opportunities.
- Provide specialist knowledge relating to ICT with key internal and external stakeholders to maintain existing systems and ICT infrastructure.
Perform review, build and testing of technology solutions
- Defines scope, plans and produces deliverables for assigned projects.
- Identifies and documents detailed business and system requirements for assigned projects.
- Participate in the development and use of endorsed SPC project guidelines and standards, and apply those techniques to manage, implement and deploy approved ICT infrastructure projects.
Implementation and Optimization of ICT systems
- Implements approved ICT solution designs.
- Performs analysis and review of implemented systems and develops, tests, and implements performance tuning and optimization.
- Design, develop, test, and implement systems management tools and automation tools.
For a more detailed account of the key responsibilities, please refer to the online job description.
Key selection criteria
- Degree or equivalent in IT, computing, science, or maths.
- Advanced troubleshooting with System Administration in Linux.
- Cloud virtualisation system experience such as Amazon EC2/S3 or Azure.
- Experience with distributed source code version systems and issue triage platforms such as GitHub.
- Proven work experience with an ITSM platforms, experience with ServiceNow a plus.
- Proven work experience with Microsoft Windows, Linux (CentOS/Ubuntu), and Mac OS X operating systems.
- Practical work experience in the installation, configuration, and deployment of network equipment.
- Demonstrated ability in the provision of user training and support, particularly for SPC standard office automation and customised applications.
- Excellent command of English or French.
Interpersonal skills and cultural awareness
- Experience in good customer care, with additional focus on the support of remote users and logistical arrangements, which are common in small Pacific Island countries.
- Knowledge of Pacific Island countries and territories is an advantage.
Salary, terms and conditions
Contract Duration – This vacant position is budgeted for 3 years and is subject to renewal depending on funding and performance.
Remuneration – the Systems Administrator – Cloud, Linux, HPC is a band 10 position in SPC’s 2022 salary scale, with a starting salary range of SDR (special drawing rights) 3,490-4,267 per month, which converts to approximately XPF 499,822-610,995 (USD 4,991-6,101; EUR 4,189-5,120). An offer of appointment for an initial contract will normally be made in the lower half of this range, with due consideration being given to experience and qualifications. Progression within the salary scale is based on annual performance reviews. SPC salaries are not presently subject to income tax in New Caledonia.
Benefits for international staff employees based in New Caledonia – SPC provides subsidised housing in Noumea. Establishment and repatriation grant, removal expenses, airfares, home leave travel, health and life and disability insurances and education allowances are available for eligible employees and their eligible dependents. Employees are entitled to 25 working days of annual leave per annum and other types of leave, and access to SPC’s Provident Fund (contributing 8 % of salary, to which SPC adds a matching contribution).
Languages – SPC’s working languages are English and French.
Recruitment principles – SPC’s recruitment is based on merit and fairness, and candidates are competing in a selection process that is fair, transparent and non-discriminatory. SPC is an equal-opportunity employer, and is committed to cultural and gender diversity, including bilinguism, and will seek to attract and appoint candidates who respect these values. Due attention is given to gender equity and the maintenance of strong representation from Pacific Island professionals. If two interviewed candidates are ranked equal by the selection panel, preference will begiven to the Pacific Islander. Applicants will be assured of complete confidentiality in line with SPC’s private policy.
Closing date: 4 December 2022 – 11:00 pm (Noumea time)
Job Reference: SH000209
Applicants must apply online at (link)
Hard copies of applications will not be accepted.
For your application to be considered, you must provide us with:
- an updated resume with contact details for three professional referees
- a cover letter detailing your skills, experience and interest in this position
- responses to all screening questions
Your application will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed at shortlisting stage if all the above documents are not provided. Applicants should not attach copies of qualifications or letters of reference. Please ensure your documents are in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format.
SPC does not charge a fee to consider your application and will never ask for your banking or financial information during the recruitment process.
Screening questions (maximum of 2,000 characters per question):
- Please describe your ICT related experience in particular your work around high performance computing and relevant software.
- What do you do to maintain your technical certifications?
- You have been asked to research a new business service or tool. You find two solutions. One is an on-premises solution; the other is a cloud-based solution. Presuming they are functionally the same, why would you recommend one over the other?
Type: Contract – International
Category: Information & Communication Technology
Reference ID: SH000209
Date Posted: 09/11/2022