African Development Bank (AfDB)
AfDB HQ Abidjan
Full vacancy title: Short Term Staff – Administrative Assistant – ALSF
Location: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Position Grade: GS5
Position Number: 50088805
Posting Date: 15-Jul-2022
Closing Date: 14-Aug-2022
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 81 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa. The Bank is seeking to build a management team that will lead the successful implementation of this vision.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT:
The African Legal Support Facility (“ALSF” or “Facility”) is an international organization dedicated to providing legal advice and technical assistance to African countries in matters pertaining to creditor litigation and complex commercial transactions. The goal of the Facility is to remove asymmetric technical capacities and level the field of legal expertise among parties during litigation and negotiations. The ALSF’s main objectives include: (i) assisting African Governments in defending against litigation brought against them by vulture funds (and other such entities); (ii) providing legal advisory services to African Governments in the negotiation of complex commercial transactions relating to natural resource & extractive industries, infrastructure/PPPs, energy and sovereign debt (“Key Sectors”); (iii) capacity building for lawyers and Government officials related to the above; and (iv) development of knowledge products.
The ALSF is hosted at the African Development Bank (AfDB), in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire and was established by Treaty on December 22, 2008. Its membership is open to (a) all AfDB member states; (b) other states; (c) AfDB; and (d) other international organizations or institutions. The ALSF currently has 60 members, comprising 53 countries and 7 international organizations.”
The objective of the position is to ensure the smooth workflow of the corporate affairs division activities related to administrative and archive matters. In particular, the purpose of the job is to provide administrative support, in the coordination of multiple and diverse processes and activities in the division thus ensuring that effective execution of management decisions.
KEY FUNCTIONS: Under the overall supervision of the Manager, the Administrative Assistant performs the following:
- Devise and maintain efficient office systems.
- Track and follow up on documents, deal with general correspondence and briefs.
- Manage the flow of information by receiving, examining, sorting and monitoring the ALSF’s. Incoming and outgoing mail, taking into account the priority and urgency of the documents concerned; organizes logical filing of this correspondence.
- Handle incoming and outgoing telephone-calls.
- Establish and update the agenda and electronic mail address book.
- Draft mail and documents in conformity with administrative instructions.
- Draft memoranda and acknowledgement letters to be submitted, along with their background documents, for the Division Head’s signature.
- Make necessary arrangements for visiting delegations.
- Assist in and advises the Division Head on a variety of administrative and personnel matters.
- Establish stock control system for the management of office supplies and other ALSF’s properties (Personal computers, printers, faxes,etc.); centralizes requests for office supplies submitted by staff within the department and makes provisions in order to ensure distribution of the required items. Processes the schedule of the Division meetings.
- Process the request to incur representation expenses; follow up of actions to be taken by concerned services.
- File and archive of legal documentation in various hard copy and electronic systems
- Liaise with internal and external clients on matters such as due diligence and execution modalities.
- Process outside counsel and consultancy engagements in accordance with all relevant procedures and approval processes, preparing engagement/consultancy contracts and arranging invoicing.
- Update databases to ensure correct templates and data is used for management reports.
- Arrange travel, itineraries, visas and process travel expenses in compliance with Bank’s policies and procedures.
- Provide support during absences of other staff.
- Arrange internal events, meetings and conference calls and receiving visitors.
- Prepare and organising documents for management meetings and Board and GC meetings, as well as briefing papers, reports, spreadsheets and presentations
- Perform any other administrative tasks as assigned.
COMPETENCIES (skills, experience and knowledge):
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in business administration, Management, Law and related fields
- Experience in secretarial duties and/archiving would be an advantage
- Fluent in English or French, with excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of French both written and spoken would be an advantage
- A minimum four (4) years of relevant work experience,
- Familiarity with legal terms, jargon and the practice of law (in-house or law firm) will be an advantage.
- Good organizational skills and proactiveness.
- Show Initiative to undertake tasks and projects with minimum guidance.
- Good communications skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to cope well under pressure
- Ability to build effective working relationships with clients and colleagues in a multicultural environment.
- Conscientious, reliable, and flexible with a professional and helpful attitude.
- Strong team player
- Ability to multi-task while remaining calm and professional.
- Excellent interpersonal manner
- Ability to exercise judgment on and deal discretely with confidential/sensitive information and data.
THIS POSITION DOES NOT ATTRACT INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS. THE POST HOLDER WILL BE CONSIDERED A SHORT TERM STAFF (local staff).
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct [email protected] (link sends e-mail)
1- Regular Staff
If you are currently working at the African Development Bank as a regular staff, click on the button below to apply for this position.
(link is external)
2- External Candidate
If you are not currently working at the African Development Bank, or if you are a Short Term Staff (STS), a Technical Assistant or a Consultant at the Bank, click on the button below to apply for the position.
(link is external)
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for further assessment will be contacted. Applicants should submit a concise Curriculum Vitae (CV) and any additional documents that may be stated as required. The President of the African Development Bank reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. (link)
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever .
“Please note that the Bank does not accept dual nationality. Therefore, you are required to declare the nationality you would like to be considered by the Bank throughout your career, if hired. Please upload supporting Government issued IDs such as passport, National Identity Card or Certificate etc.”