ITER Organization in Cadarache
The ITER Organization brings together people from all over the world to be part of a thrilling human adventure in southern France—building the ITER Tokamak. We require the best people in every domain. We offer challenging full-time assignments in a wide range of areas and encourage applications from candidates with all levels of experience, from recent graduates to experienced professionals. Applications from under-represented ITER Members and from female candidates are strongly encouraged as the ITER Organization supports diversity and gender equality in the workplace. Our working environment is truly multi-cultural, with 29 different nationalities represented among staff. The ITER Organization Code of Conduct gives guidance in matters of professional ethics to all staff and serves as a reference for the public with regards to the standards of conduct that third parties are entitled to expect when dealing with the ITER Organization. The south of France is blessed with a very privileged living environment and a mild and sunny climate. The ITER Project is based in Saint Paul-lez-Durance, located between the southern Alps and the Mediterranean Sea—an area offering every conceivable sporting, leisure, and cultural opportunity.
To see why ITER is a great place to work, please look at this video
Application deadline: 27/11/2022
Domain: Science & Operation Domain
Department: Science, Controls & Operation Department
Division: Operations Division
Group: Site Services
Job Family: Commissioning & Operations
Job Role: Operator – 4
Job Grade: G4
Language requirements: Fluent in English (written & spoken)
Contract duration: Up to 5 years
As a Shift Operator, you will be part of a 24/7 shift team of operators, who ensure the safe, efficient and reliable operation of the ITER facility, plant systems and Tokamak.
Background: The Operations Division is responsible for developing plans, procedures, and implementation of commissioning, operation and maintenance of the ITER Tokamak and plant systems. A team of operators will monitor and control the various plant systems and Tokamak 24/7 from the control room, conduct regular equipment inspections, supervise maintenance works, participate to commissioning activities and take all necessary actions to ensure safe and reliable function.
Key Duties, Scope, and Level of Accountability
- Executes and operates plant control systems and safety systems, follows procedures to ensure safe and reliable operation of the plant;
- Responds to alarms by following the appropriate procedures, taking necessary recovery action, under the coordination of the Principal Shift Operator, including calling in appropriate staff;
- Arranges and operates systems according to operating instructions to support the experimental and operational needs, following appropriate procedures;
- Informs the Principal Shift Operator and/or System Operations Responsible Officer of any events or conditions that could influence plant operations and safety;
- As a member of a rostered team of operators, participates in patrols, inspections , identifications and resolutions of operational issues;
- Performs routine maintenance and preservation activities;
- Writes operating and commissioning procedures and test reports;
- Performs commissioning tasks according to test procedures, records results and diagnoses faults and failures;
- Follows with Construction Department the completion progress of actions blocking commissioning start-up and proposes simple process improvements;
- In case of accident or incident, during shift operations activities, responds to alarms and under the coordination of the Principal Shift Operator and/or System Operations Responsible Officer, operates the systems by following dedicated procedures, to maintain or bring the ITER facility into a safe state;
- Performs Lock Out, Tag Out (LOTO) actions on equipment according to operating orders, ensuring hazardous energy sources are isolated and rendered inoperative;
- Routinely required to work shifts outside normal working hours, including nights, weekends and public holidays;
- May be requested to be part of any of the project/construction teams and to perform other duties in support of the project.
Measures of Effectiveness
- Ensures the safe and efficient operation of the plant control systems, achieving the required system reliability and availability of the service provided to clients;
- Contributes to a safe working environment by ensuring all activities are properly authorised and tracked within the defined timeline and with the correct documentation;
- Maintains records of all actions and events with adequate accuracy and quality on logbook;
- Executes efficiently operations and commissioning tasks;
- Respects procedures and working practices, in particular regarding three way communication, cross- checking, self-checking and adherence to pre-job briefings.
Experience & Profile
The following important information shall apply to all jobs at ITER Organization:
- Maintains a strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of the ITER Safety Program, ITER Values (Trust; Loyalty; Integrity; Excellence; Team mind set; Diversity and Inclusiveness) and Code of Conduct;
- ITER Core technical competencies of 1) Nuclear Safety, environment, radioprotection and pressured equipment 2) Occupational Health, safety & security 3) Quality assurance processes. Knowledge of these competencies may be acquired through on-board training at basic understanding level for all ITER staff members;
- Implements the technical control of the Protection Important Activities, as well as their propagation to the entire supply chain;
- May be requested to work on beryllium-containing components. In this case, you will be required to follow the established ITER Beryllium Management Program for working safely with beryllium. Training and support will be provided by the ITER Organization;
- May be requested to be part of any of the project/construction teams and to perform other duties in support of the project;
- Informs the IO Director-General, Domain Head, or Department/Office Head of any important and urgent issues that cannot be handled by line management and that may jeopardize the achievement of the Project’s objectives.