UNESCO - United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics, Trieste
Post Number : 1ITSC 0885TP
Grade : P-4
Parent Sector : Natural Sciences Sector (SC)
Duty Station: Trieste
Job Family: Programme Coordination
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Duration of contract : 2 years with possibility of renewal
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 29-AUG-2022 (EXTENDED)
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Founded in 1964 by the late Nobel Laureate Abdus Salam and located in Trieste (Italy), the Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) seeks to accomplish its mandate by providing scientists from developing countries with the continuing education and skills that they need to enjoy long and productive careers.
Within the Division of Research and Partnerships and under the direct supervision of the Head of Section/Senior Research Scientist, Earth System Physics (ESP) Section, and in coordination with the Senior Coordinators, the incumbent will lead the sub-group of Research Scientists and performs and coordinates front-line research in Tropical dynamics, convection and cloud physics, and may provide leadership to one of the ICTP Programmes as necessary. In particular, the incumbant will be required to: Long Description
- Identify, develop and implement innovative research projects, ensuring that the research team stays on top of the latest scientific developments.
- Collaborate with leading research institutions worldwide to exchange scientific information and promote joint research and scientific collaboration programmes, while providing guidance and mentoring to junior members of the Earth System Physics Section working in tropical dynamics, convection and cloud physics, as well as to post-doctoral fellows, associates and visitors.
- Participate in the selection of the Diploma, M.Sc. and Ph.D. students, teach in the Diploma programme and supervise Diploma and possibly PhD students’ thesis.
- Establish wide cooperation with scientists from developing countries, also organising ICTP meetings and external activities in own field of research at ICTP and in developing countries.
- Provide authoritative advice to the Division Director on programme planning and implementation, also ensuring that all high level needs, such as agreements, funding, selection procedures and coordination of the scientific work with the scientific faculty, needed for the proper running and success of these programmes are in place and functioning.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
Planning and organizing (C)
Results focus (C)
Building partnerships (M)
Driving and managing change (M)
Leading and empowering others (M)
Making quality decisions (M)
Managing performance (M)
Strategic thinking (M)
For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
- Advanced University degree (Ph.D. or equivalent) in Geophysical Science, Physics, or a related field.
- At least 7 years of relevant professional experience in tropical dynamics, convection and cloud physics, of which preferably at least 3 years at international level.
- Internationally recognized research achievements in Tropical dynamics, convection and cloud physics.
- Experience in the teaching and/or mentoring of undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate students.
- Excellent analytical skills. Ability to collect, synthesise and analyse information from various sources.
- Proven ability to work in a team and to maintain effective working relationships in a multidisciplinary and multicultural environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively on complex technical and scientific issues in English.
- Excellent knowledge (spoken and written) of English.
- Experience in the development and coordination of scientific training programmes.
- Experience in the design, implementation and management of scientific projects.
- Knowledge of another official UNESCO language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish).
- Knowledge of Italian.
Application submission information:
In addition to the online application, candidates are requested to submit their research statement to the ICTP Personnel Office (email: [email protected]) clearly indicating in the subject line “Senior Research Officer post no. 1ITSC 0885TP – ESP Section”.
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For full information on benefits and entitlements, please consult our Guide to Staff Benefits.
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.
UNESCO recalls that paramount consideration in the appointment of staff members shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, technical competence and integrity. UNESCO applies a zero-tolerance policy against all forms of harassment. UNESCO is committed to achieving and sustaining equitable and diverse geographical distribution, as well as gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Candidates from non- and under-represented Member States ( last update here) are particularly welcome and strongly encouraged to apply. Individuals from minority groups and indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.