ITU is the leading United Nations agency for information and communication technologies, with the mission to connect the world. To achieve this, ITU manages the radio-frequency spectrum and satellite orbits at the international level, works to improve communication infrastructure in the developing world, and establishes global standards that foster seamless interconnection of a vast range of communication systems. ITU also organizes global Telecom events bringing together the most influential representatives of government and the private sector to exchange ideas and knowledge for the benefit of all.
VACANCY NOTICE NO. 45P-2021/SG-SPM/EXTERNAL/P4
Date of Issue: 24 August 2021
Applications from women are encouraged
Functions: Senior Media Relations Officer
Post Number: PM04/P4/194
Deadline for Applications (23.59 Geneva CH) : 25 October 2021
Duration of Contract: 2 years with possibility of renewal for 2 additional years
Type of Appointment: Fixed-term Appointment
Duty Station: Geneva, Switzerland
Organ: The General Secretariat directs all the administrative and financial aspects of the Union’s activities, including the implementation of the provisions of the administrative regulations on operational questions, the dissemination of information on telecommunication matters for operational and other purposes, the provision of legal advice to the Bureaux of the Union and the departments of the General Secretariat, logistic support to the Union’s activities including conferences, the coordination of the work of the Union with other international organizations, the dissemination of information to the Member States and Sector Members, press, corporate and individual users of telecommunications and the general public. The General Secretariat is also responsible for the organization of world telecommunication exhibitions and forums.
Organization Unit: Within the General Secretariat, the Strategic Planning and Membership Department (SPM) advises the Secretary-General on strategic challenges and their implications for the Union in the fast evolving telecommunications/ICT environment; develops forward-looking strategic proposals to the ITU management team with a view to ensuring that the organization meets the objectives assigned by the membership; plans and coordinates the corporative and strategic activities with a view to ensuring their accordance with membership objectives; organizes and provides secretariat services to the Plenipotentiary Conference, Council, and other meetings in the general secretariat in order to achieve a high level of involvement from Member States and Sector Members, develops and maintains sound relations with Member States, Sector Members and other entities, the UN and other international organizations. The Department is also responsible for providing expert advice on communication and promotion strategies and for developing and implementing the Union’s corporate communication plan in cooperation with the three Sectors with a view to promoting ITU leadership in the field of telecommunications and ICT.
Duties / Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Head, Strategic Communication Division, work proactively with media representatives around the world to position ITU as the go to UN lead agency for ICT. To this end the incumbent will perform the following duties:
- Establish and maintain regular contacts with reporters and editors of key national and international media worldwide, pitch stories and convince them of their news value, including at regular United Nations press briefings. Serve as the focal point and, when directed, official spokesperson, for all ITU media enquiries. Answer standard media requests or field answers from the Bureaux and the General Secretariat in a timely manner and collect, store and update answers/messages in a central repository.
- Research, draft speedily and/or edit and proofread press releases, articles, features, and op-eds on a broad range of issues and for a variety of owned and third-party media and channels – print, radio/podcast, television, online news, multimedia, and social media.
- Arrange press interviews; advise on or develop talking points for ITU spokespeople and subject matter experts; provide guidance on interview tactics.
- Manage ITU physical, digital and hybrid press conferences and briefings, as required: logistics (venue, equipment, webcast, captioning, access, photography, video, etc.), run of show, briefing notes for the Secretary-General and Deputy Secretary-General, liaison with other podium speakers (via ITU Bureaux), announcements and invitations, direct soliciting of media interest, serving as ‘MC’ as required, and follow-up. Ensure the implementation of the United Nations media accreditation guidelines and the provision of appropriate working facilities for journalists at ITU press conferences, and briefings, events, conferences and meetings.
- Coordinate and continually optimize the simultaneous distribution of multimedia press releases and media advisories in the six official languages of the Union on an equal footing, liaising with the relevant corporate channel and content owners and maintaining digital tools for efficient back-end workflows across the General Secretariat and the Bureaux. Compile and update media and digital influencer distribution lists.
- Oversee and continually optimize ITU’s digital Media Centre, including digital tools to optimize the accessibility, search, creation, distribution, re-use and re-purposing of ITU media assets (raw and edited photo, audio, video, text and graphic) produced by the General Secretariat and the Bureaux in line with corporate communication and visual identity and graphic design guidelines for a OneITU brand.
- Oversee and continually optimize ITU’s system for reputational, campaign and thematic media monitoring to help protect ITU’s reputation, inform editorial planning and optimize performance of media relations outreach; regularly report to senior ITU staff and advise on optimization of performance. In times of crisis, track evolving issues and media coverage in near real time.
- Identify the need for media relations and other communication training of ITU media and communication officers, ITU spokespeople, ITU subject matter experts and other relevant ITU staff; coordinate, conceptualize and implement training (in-house, third-party trainers), as required.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Core Competencies: Applying Expertise; Effective Communication; Learning and Knowledge Sharing; Organizational Commitment; Results-Focused, and; Teamwork and Collaboration.
- Essential Functional Competencies: Analysis, Judgement and Decision Making; Client and Service Orientation; Networking and Building Partnerships, and; Planning and Organizing.
- Essential Technical Competencies: Proven record of placing stories through personal contacts with reporters and editors in key international and national media and media specialized in technology/ICT, business and development. Excellent knowledge of the media and digital influencer landscape including media working methods, imperatives, and constraints. Good technical background and strong understanding of the tech / ICT industry landscape and emerging technologies. Sound judgement with regard to trending/newsworthy external developments, including geopolitical, cultural, economic and development contexts to position ITU timely in the public discourse and protect its reputation. Discretion and judgement with regard to complex and/or sensitive issues. Solid writing and editing skills to deliver actionable, credible, relevant, timely and understandable media products. Excellent organizational skills to distribute multimedia press products simultaneously in the six languages of the Union in a timely manner, often under tight and conflicting deadlines. Very good digital skills, including knowledge of digital tools for efficient and effective media relations and outreach.
Education: Advanced university degree in communications, journalism, public relations, marketing, public administration or a related field OR education in a reputed college of advanced education with a diploma of equivalent standard to that of an advanced university degree in one of the fields above. For internal candidates, a first university degree in one of the fields above in combination with ten years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree for promotion or rotation purposes.
Experience: At least seven years of progressively responsible experience in communications, journalism, digital media, public relations, marketing, including at least three at the international level and at least three working directly with the tech / ICT industry. A Doctorate in a related field can be considered as a substitute for three years of working experience.
Languages: Knowledge of one of the six official languages of the Union (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian, Spanish) at advanced level and knowledge of a second official language at intermediate level. Knowledge of a third official language would be an advantage. (Under the provisions of Resolution No. 626 of the Council, a relaxation of the language requirements may be authorized in the case of candidates from developing countries: when candidates from such countries possess a thorough knowledge of one of the official languages of the Union, their applications may be taken into consideration.)
Additional Information: Salary: Total annual salary consists of a net annual salary (net of taxes and before medical insurance and pension fund deductions) in US dollars and a post adjustment (PA) (cost of living allowance). The PA is variable and subject to change without notice in accordance with the rates as set within the UN Common System for salaries and allowances.
Annual salary from $ 73,516 + post adjustment $ 63,077
Other allowances and benefits subject to specific terms of appointment, please refer to (link)-of-Employment.aspx
Applicants will be contacted directly if selected for written test. Interviews may be used as a form of screening.
For further information concerning the Conditions of Employment please click the following link
Applicants will be contacted only if they are under serious consideration
- Office ITU HQ Geneva