IFC - International Finance Corporation
IFC Belgrade, Serbia
Senior Investment Officer
Job #: req20836
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: International Recruitment
Required Language(s): English
Preferred Language(s): Closing Date: 2/12/2023 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2022, IFC committed a record $32.8 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of global compounding crises. For more information, visit (link)
The Manufacturing, Agribusiness & Services (MAS) Industry Group plays an important role in supporting IFC’s strategic priorities, covering investments in manufacturing, agribusiness and services (including health, education, tourism, retail and property) sectors. MAS’ sectors play a critical role in providing goods and services to consumers; addressing core needs, creating jobs, contributing to government revenue and stimulating growth. In IFC’s client countries, these sectors can account for as much as 80% of overall economic activity in a given country.
IFC’s MAS team covering the Europe region is seeking to recruit a Senior Investment Officer to work in IFC’s Belgrade office. The position will call for supporting business development and executing investment transactions in all MAS sectors in Central and South-Eastern Europe (CSE) as well as providing oversight to a select part of the MAS portfolio in the region. It is expected that at least 75% of the time would be dedicated to new business development and execution, to realize the goal of ramping up the MAS portfolio in Europe.
The candidate will have a proven track record of strong originations skills and as a project leader of multidisciplinary teams and professionals who have expertise in the regions and/or MAS sectors (i.e. industry specialists, investment officers and analysts, lawyers, insurance, corporate governance and environmental and social specialists). Experience with various sponsors/investors/clients, as well as varying investment products (senior secured loans, mezzanine, straight equity etc.) will be important.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Play senior, leadership role for MAS Europe team in the region with foreseen emphasis on Central and South-Eastern Europe for business development in all MAS sectors
- Establish important sponsor and other stakeholder relationships with executive level contacts, sponsors and other stakeholders in CSE for all MAS sectors to foster strategic partnerships
- Develop a strong pipeline of good quality investment opportunities in MAS sectors in CSE – anticipating market trends and employing sector/country knowledge will be required
- Help build and maintain the MAS portfolio, including providing oversight on / supervising key MAS portfolio investments in CSE and other countries in the Europe region
- Evaluate, structure, negotiate, and close new transactions, portfolio restructurings, rescheduling, capital increases, equity sales, etc
- Develop innovative and appropriate financial structures for complex transactions
- Execute IFC s project development investments with a strong focus on achieving bankable projects
- Lead negotiation/documentation teams; use strong negotiation skills to develop solutions and overcome impasses in straightforward and complex transactions
- Coordinate closely with social, environmental, and technical assistance colleagues to add value to our clients’ businesses, find pragmatic solutions to the specific sector challenges, and achieve sustainable development impact
- Collaborate in developing sector and/or regional strategies and support related promotion work, including targeting potential investments and policy advisory work
- Candidates will demonstrate the ability to play a leadership role in areas such as formulating business strategy, developing new financial products, providing guidance to multiple teams on transaction enhancement and setting standards for quality control
- MBA or equivalent qualification;
- At least 8-12 years of experience in finance and investments with a proven track-record of sourcing, structuring and closing investments in MAS or infrastructure sectors
- Strong business development and client relationship skills, track record and ability to focus on clients’ needs effectively
- Sound business judgment in identifying potential business partners
- Strong financial and credit skills; demonstrated ability to structure a variety of complex financial instruments (debt and equity)
- Ability to interact directly and independently with the senior management of potential clients, of financial and technical partners as well as senior government officials
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Strong inter-personal skills, ability to interact effectively with clients and colleagues from various cultural backgrounds
- Ability to mentor junior investment staff
- Highly motivated, committed to highest ethical standards; and
- Genuine commitment to sustainable development
- Preferrable knowledge of overall MAS industry sector trends, experience in MAS and emerging markets
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.