Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
UNHCR in Berbérati
Hardship Level: E (most hardship)
Family Type: Non Family with Residential Location
Family Type: Non Family with Residential LocationDanger Pay
Residential location (if applicable): Yaounde, Cameroon
Staff Member / Affiliate Type: General Service
Reason: Regular > Regular Assignment
Remote work accepted: No
Target Start Date: 2023-04-01-07:00
Job Posting End Date: February 1, 2023
Standard Job Description: Senior Field Associate
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Senior Field Associate is normally supervised by the (Senior) Field Officer or Head of Office and performs a variety of functions related to Field activities within the office. The supervisor defines general work objectives and the incumbent completes the work independently. Work is controlled for meeting expected results and conformity to policy and procedures by the supervisor. The Senior Field Associate normally supervises some General Service support staff.
The incumbent keeps frequent internal contacts with staff members in the same duty station to exchange information, to establish understanding of respective needs; to ensure provision of services and resolution of problems and with the external contacts generally with officials of national and international institutions, leaders of the refugee community, local population and/or Implementing Partners (IPs) on subject matters which may be of importance to the Organization.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Undertake regular visits to various sites in order to assess needs of persons of concern, with particular attention to vulnerable groups.
- Advise the supervisor on programme requirements and formulate project submissions, including community development and self-reliance activities, where applicable, in collaboration with authorities and implementing partners.
- Monitor and supervise the implementation of UNHCR programme including the delivery of all assistance items and monitoring of infrastructure and make the necessary recommendation for its improvement.
- Keep regular contacts with local authorities and implementing partners as requested by supervisor.
- Act as interpreter when required.
- Contribute to the preparation of status and progress reports by providing info, preparing tables, etc.
- Monitor refugee movements related to repatriation and other inter-camps transfers.
- Inform and act on the reports received on persons of concern within the refugee community or from the local authorities.
- Handle, in coordination with implementing partners, the reception, registration and provision of assistance to persons of concern to UNHCR.
- Negotiate with local authority counterparts, partners and populations of concern.
- Represent UNHCR in physical monitoring of projects.
- Provide inputs for the country operations plan and other submissions and reports.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For G7 – 4 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
Certificates and/or Licenses
Business Administration, Law, Political Science
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Knowledge of International legal affairs relating to asylum, migration and related issues.
Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position.
UNHCR field experience.
CO-Drafting and Documentation
CL-Multi-stakeholder Communications with Partners, Government & Community
PG-Programme Management (programme cycles and reporting standards)
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Desired Candidate Profile: Required languages (expected Overall ability is at least B2 level):: ,
Desired languages: ,
Operational context: Occupational Safety and Health Considerations:: Nature of Position:: Living and Working Conditions:: Additional Qualifications: Skills
CL-Multi-stakeholder Communications with Partners, Government & Community, CO-Drafting and Documentation, IT-Computer Literacy, PG-Programme Management (programme cycles and reporting standards)
Business Administration – Other, Law – Other, Political Science – Other
Competencies: Accountability, Analytical thinking, Client & results orientation, Commitment to continuous learning, Communication, Empowering & building trust, Managing performance, Organizational awareness, Planning & organizing, Stakeholder management, Teamwork & collaboration
UNHCR Salary Calculator: (link)
Compendium: Le test et les interviews seront obligatoiresThe English version is considered original and authoritative, translation to other language(s) serve the purpose of advertisement of local positions where applicable but are not considered as official translationsNA
Functional clearance: This position doesn’t require a functional clearance