Are you ready to change lives and save the lives of the world’s most vulnerable people? If yes, this opportunity is for you!
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles. Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is a leading organization delivering food assistance and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience. We also support governments of developing countries in their efforts to eliminate hunger and malnutrition by addressing the underlying causes and disparities in access to food and good nutrition to ensure that no one is left behind in line with the Agenda 2030, Sustaining Peace and Agenda for Humanity. WFP is particularly focused on Goal 2 (Zero Hunger) and Goal 17 (Partnerships). Delivering on our mandate of Zero Hunger requires us to have a diverse, inclusive and gender-balanced workforce.
The 2020 Nobel Peace Prize awarded to WFP is recognition that ending hunger is a critical first step towards global peace. WFP recognizes that one of the greatest contributions it can make to humanity is to provide a voice to the 690 million hungry people in the world. The Nobel Peace Prize gives us a platform to make their needs heard and to mobilize support for the assistance they need.
WFP supports over 1.4 million people in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh including over 860,000 Rohingya refugees and host community Bangladeshi under the L2 emergency operation. WFP provides food and nutrition assistance to the entire refugee population in the world’s largest refugee camp as well as school meals, nutrition service, and livelihood support to host communities in Cox’s Bazar.
The position will be responsible for ensuring design objectives of WFP’s engineering unit projects, with consideration to building performance, spatial optimisation, environmental impact, and program.The incumbent will coordinate with the conception, development, construction implementation policies of WFP .
The responsibilities of the Architect shall include but not limited to:
- Study each project at the onset and draft an outline of items that are required or need attention.
- Assess project sites and conduct detailed site analysis to propose suitable design solution.
- Complete design risk assessment for all proposed designs and carry out review and report.
- Undertake preliminary and detailed computer assisted architectural and or interior designs (including writing and assembling drawings, schematic, masterplan, design calculations and reports, technical specifications) in compliance with national and international standards and codes.
- Prepare list of shop drawings, method of statements and list of materials and such as lighting , furniture, finishing , flooring and utilities applicable to project as per the technical documents.
- Supervise the works on site in accordance with the contract documents and report using the template and procedure established by the office.
- Review and support to the supervisor for the materials documentation, method statements, health, and safety documentation, etc. submitted by contractors.
- Study the work plan submitted by the contractor and suggests any modifications to the supervisor.
- Prepare list of tests that may be required and following these tests to be carried out and approved.
- Maintain proper electronic library of photos of the chronological progress of the works.
- Ensure quality of the works during design and construction, continuously inspecting the materials, undertaking tests, and maintaining a high standard of workmanship and compliance with the specifications and relevant national/international design standards.
- Establish QA/QC plan of projects and ensure QA/QC during implementation phase by involving in direct site supervision, work inspection etc.
- Support engineering teams in field including undertaking extensive missions to the field in support of implementation of projects as well as during emergencies.
- Carry out any other tasks related to the works and the project given by the supervisor
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Bachelor in Architecture is required. Masters or Equivalent Degree in relevant field of Architecture or Engineering is desirable.
Experience: Minimum 6 years of experience required. Experience in the field of Architectural engineering design and construction is essential with increasing level of responsibilities.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Effective communication and leadership skills
- Good knowledge and experience of techniques, instrumentation, and 2D and 3D CAD software such as AutoCAD, Sketchup and other rendering software is desirable.
- Knowledge and experience of design, planning and supervision of construction projects.
- Good knowledge of local and international engineering and construction standards, processes, and norms.
- Desirable knowledge of engineering contract formats, modalities, and obligations. Knowledge in FIDIC forms of contracts is desirable.
- Good knowledge of project processes and techniques.
Languages:Excellent written and oral communication skills in both English and Bangla.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Contract Type : Service Contract
Contract Duration : 12 months
Duty Station : Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh
Nationality : Bangladeshi only
No. of post : 1 (One)
Salary : BDT 133,187
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Sunday,20 September 2021 23:59 GMT
This vacancy announcement is for Bangladeshi Nationals. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
To be considered, interested candidates are invited to apply through the WFP careers website: LINK
Female applicants and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
WFP is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all qualified candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organisation. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the selection & recruitment process, and for work-related needs upon joining the Programme. WFP has zero tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, abuse of authority or discrimination. All selected candidates will, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
- Office WFP in Cox's Bazar