Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE)
OSCE Drvar, Bosnia and Herzegovina
NOTE: In addition to Drvar, the position will be also covering Bihac and Livno areas of responsibility (AoR).
The OSCE Mission to Bosnia and Herzegovina (the Mission) continues to play a vital role in strengthening the country’s ability to foster a sustainable and stable security environment, to strengthen Bosnia and Herzegovina’s governance, and to encourage its consolidation as a democratic society. The Mission supports political and education reform and works to promote and protect human rights of all citizens of BiH.
Rule of Law Monitoring Assistants’ primary activity is monitoring and reporting on criminal proceedings and the institutional functionality of the justice sector in their respective area of responsibility. This monitoring will focus particularly on implementation of legal and structural reforms related to independence and transparency of the judiciary, its ability to meet fair trial standards, and the treatment of vulnerable victims and witnesses within the system. Should you be selected for the position, you will be assigned to work with your respective National Legal Officer co-ordinating your programmatic work in your region and will be responsible for monitoring cases according to the policy and guidelines established by the Head Office and overseen by the Rule of Law. You will prepare regular reports on monitored cases and provide them directly to the Legal Adviser working either as your supervisor or your regional co-ordinator. You will also draft spot reports when required. You will report directly to the National Legal Officer.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
The successful candidate will be tasked with the following duties: 1. Following cases before specified courts, prosecutor’s offices as well as the human rights situation within other justice sector institutions according to the policy and guidelines established by the Head Office;
2. Drafting reports on proceedings and institutions monitored as well spot reports on priority issues as they arise;
3. Maintaining regular contacts with local officials within the justice system and local bar associations and reports on relevant developments and trends;
4. Following legislative, institutional and policy developments related to the human rights and the rule of law;
5. Providing feedback and advice to local justice sector actors as to OSCE findings and reports, international human rights standards, etc.;
6. Co-ordinating the workload and case selection with National Legal Officers, Legal Advisers within the Rule of Law section , and other trial monitors as necessary;
7. Drafting spot reports as deemed necessary by the monitor or upon request from their supervisor or Head Office;
8. Performing other duties as required.
For more detailed information on the structure and work of the OSCE Mission to Bosnia and Herzegovina, please see: (link)-to-bosnia-and-herzegovina.
- Completed secondary education. Additional coursework in law desirable;
- Minimum four (4) years of relevant work experience in legal and/or human rights field;
- First-level university degree in law may be considered as a substitute for one (1) year, and an advanced level degree in law may be considered as a substitute for two (2) years of work experience;
- Working knowledge of European and/or international human rights conventions;
- Willingness and experience working in a challenging environment;
- Flexibility, patience and ability to work under pressure and time constraints;
- Computer literate with practical experience using Microsoft applications;
- Professional fluency in English with excellent communication (both oral and written) skills and in the local languages;
- Possession of a valid driving license.
Monthly remuneration, subject to social security deductions is 2,298.08 BAM/month. Social benefits will include participation in the Cigna health insurance scheme and the OSCE Provident Fund.
Appointments are normally made at step 1 of the applicable OSCE salary scale. At the discretion of the appointing authority a higher step may be approved up to a maximum of step 3 subject to specific conditions.
This position is open to citizens and permanent residents of Bosnia and Herzegovina only.
If you wish to apply for this position, please use the OSCE’s online application link found under (link)
Please note that offline applications submitted via email, fax, or mail will not be considered.
Only those candidates who are selected to participate in the subsequent stages of recruitment will be contacted.
The OSCE retains the discretion to re-advertise the vacancy, to cancel the recruitment, to offer an appointment at a lower grade or to offer an appointment with a modified job description or for a different duration.
The OSCE is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all religious, ethnic and social backgrounds to apply to become a part of the Organization.
Candidates should be aware that OSCE officials shall conduct themselves at all times in a manner befitting the status of an international civil servant. This includes avoiding any action which may adversely reflect on the integrity, independence and impartiality of their position and function as officials of the OSCE. The OSCE is committed to applying the highest ethical standards in carrying out its mandate. For more information on the values set out in OSCE Competency Model, please see (link)-competency-model.
Please be aware that the OSCE does not request payment at any stage of the application and review process.
- Issued by: OSCE Mission to Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Requisition ID: BAH000001
- Contract Type: Local Contracted
- Grade: G5
- Job Level: General Services
- Job Type: Contracted
- Number of posts: 1
- Location: BAH – OSCE Mission to Bosnia and Herzegovina, Drvar
- Issue Date: Dec 16, 2022
- Closing Date: Feb 7, 2023
- Employee Status: Fixed Term
- Schedule: Full-time
- Education Level: High School Diploma / (GED)
- Job Field: Rule of Law
- Target Start Date: Apr 10, 2023