Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Job Requisition Type: Evergreen (Formerly known as talent pools, in order to have a balanced number of ready-to-hire candidates who can be deployed at short notice to a vacancy that best matches their skills. Evergreens are primarily used to fill Temporary Appointments.)
Call for applications – Risk Management and Compliance Officer, P3: Location: Various location
Why should you join us?: UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, takes the lead in protecting people forced to flee wars and persecution around the world, providing life-saving aid including shelter, food and water to ensure their basic safety, rights and dignity. With 18,879 women and men working in 137 countries, we work tirelessly to make a difference in the lives of 89.3 million forcibly displaced people worldwide.: Our dedicated and professional staff work around the clock in roles including legal protection, community services, public affairs, health and more. Despite the challenges they can face, our personnel are proud to work for UNHCR and determined to make a positive impact.
How can you make a difference?: The Risk Management and Compliance Officer will be a member of the risk network in UNHCR working together with other risk practitioners to strengthen risk management culture in the organisation. Special attention is paid to embedding risk management in day-to-day work, risk identification and mitigation, coherence in risk management practices, identification of systemic issues requiring a corporate-wide response and sharing of good risk management practices and lessons learnt.
Key responsibilities and duties::
- Support to the Operation/Bureau on risk management and compliance matters, helping them in discharging their responsibilities and accountabilities to manage risks and comply with policies and procedures.
- Support the embedding of risk management, ethical and integrity considerations into decision making, planning, monitoring, evaluation, reporting and contingency activities.
- Support the coordination and facilitation of the risk review exercises with functional experts and management to agree on the operational risk register, and appropriate risk responses; facilitate, monitor and report on the implementation of agreed responses.
- Provide support on risk management approaches, tools and compliance issues to management and staff.
- Support the coordination and delivery of relevant trainings, workshops and other capacity building initiatives relevant to risk management and compliance internally and with partners.
- Analyze risk management, compliance, and oversight findings and recommendations. Prepare summary reports, with recommendations, on significant matters requiring management action or intervention, or changes to corporate level policies/procedures.
Who are we looking for?: Candidates with 6 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 5 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 4 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree.
Requirements: Experience in positions involving, amongst other things, responsibilities relating to risk management, compliance and quality of results. Demonstrated experience in project management. Good knowledge of UN/UNHCR regulations and policies. Strong skills in collaboration, team building, capacity development and with ability to deliver quality results on time. Exposure to and experience in UN or humanitarian field operations and emergencies in various geographical locations and multiple functional areas Demonstrated high level of integrity, objectivity, impartiality and fairness. Very strong analytical and drafting skills.
Advantage: Knowledge of UNHCR’s mandate and work. Certification in risk management. Strong skills in collaboration, team building, training, capacity development and with ability to deliver quality results on time. Exposure to and experience in UN or humanitarian field operations and emergencies in various geographical locations and multiple functional areas.
For a more detailed description, please review the job description: (link)
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION: UNHCR’s workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. We seek to sustain and strengthen this diversity and to ensure equal opportunities, as well as an inclusive working environment, for our entire workforce. Joining us means living, sharing and promoting these core values of inclusion, diversity and gender equality.
Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on the grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity