Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Job Requisition Type: Evergreen (Formerly known as talent pools, in order to have a balanced number of ready-to-hire candidates who can be deployed at short notice to a vacancy that best matches their skills. Evergreens are primarily used to fill Temporary Appointments.)
Call for applications – Risk Management and Compliance Adviser, P5: Location: Various location
Why should you join us?: UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, takes the lead in protecting people forced to flee wars and persecution around the world, providing life-saving aid including shelter, food and water to ensure their basic safety, rights and dignity. With 18,879 women and men working in 137 countries, we work tirelessly to make a difference in the lives of 89.3 million forcibly displaced people worldwide.: Our dedicated and professional staff work around the clock in roles including legal protection, community services, public affairs, health and more. Despite the challenges they can face, our staff are proud to work for UNHCR and determined to make a positive impact.
How can you make a difference?: The incumbent will be a member of a risk network in UNHCR and will collaborate with the Chief Risk Officer and the network of risk practitioners to ensure strengthening of risk culture across the organization. Special attention is paid to embedding risk management in day-to-day work, risk identification and mitigation, coherence in risk management practices, identification of systemic issues requiring a corporate-wide response and sharing of good risk management practices and lessons learnt.
For in-country positions (while on mission), the incumbent will be in the first line, supporting the Representative as the risk owner. S/he shall review the adequacy of risk management and compliance systems, structures, procedures and capacities within the operation, make recommendations as appropriate, and assist management in their implementation.
For regional positions, the incumbent will ensure that ERM policy and related risk management processes are effectively implemented and will coordinate operations within their region in matters related to risk, compliance and oversight, as part of the second line. S/he will assess the adequacy of risk management within the operations and provide advice, guidance and challenge to first line owners of risk who make and execute risk decisions. At the regional bureau level, the incumbent will work closely with, and provide guidance to the Head of the Strategic Planning and Management Service, the Senior Strategic Planning and Management Coordinator(s), and/or the Regional Controller and other senior colleagues on emerging risks and related issues.
Key responsibilities and duties::
- Advise and support the Representative/Bureau Director on risk management, integrity, compliance, and oversight matters, assisting him/her in discharging his/her responsibilities and accountabilities to manage risks and ensuring an effective implementation of UNHCR’s risk management strategy and policy and strengthening the risk culture in the operation(s) / bureau.
- Ensure risk management considerations are integrated into decision making, planning, resource allocation, monitoring, evaluation, reporting and contingency activities across the operation(s) /bureau.
- Contribute to decision making processes in the operation(s) / bureau by providing risk perspectives and objective risk-based analysis and information, especially on high risk and key priority areas.
- Promote collaboration between different functions within the operation(s) / bureau to ensure cross-cutting risks and issues are addressed effectively; help review adequacy of the systems, structures, procedures and capacities in high-risk areas.
- Represent UNHCR in relevant internal and external task forces / meetings on risk management, integrity and oversight matters; prepare / review and input to management reports to stakeholders; interact with counterparts in the UN/IO, NGO and the broader humanitarian community, as well as with government counterparts, on risk management matters.
- With assistance from and in coordination with the ERM Service, Global Learning and Development Centre, and other headquarter services, as required, build the capacity of UNHCR teams and partners by raising awareness of and skills in risk management, with the aim of strengthening the culture of integrity and accountability; provide advice and support to all personnel on matters related to risk management.
Who are we looking for?: Candidates with 12 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 11 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 10 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree.
Requirements: At least 6 years of experience in a senior managerial/leadership positions involving, amongst other things, responsibilities relating to risk management, compliance, and quality of results. Knowledge of and working experience with Enterprise Risk Management frameworks. Experience in liaising with governmental and / or diplomatic authorities as well as international institutions and partner organizations. Excellent judgement with proven ability to deal with complex interrelated issues and strong analytical and problem-solving skills to develop solutions that address root causes. Excellent communicator with strong interpersonal and writing skills. Strong management skills in collaboration, team building, capacity development and with ability to deliver quality results on time. Exposure to and experience in UN or humanitarian field operations and emergencies in various geographical locations and multiple functional areas. Demonstrated high level of integrity, objectivity, impartiality and fairness.
Advantage: Knowledge of UNHCR’s mandate and work. Certification in risk management. Strong skills in collaboration, team building, training, capacity development and with ability to deliver quality results on time. Strong analytical and drafting skills. Exposure to and experience in UN or humanitarian field operations and emergencies in various geographical locations and multiple functional areas.
For a more detailed description, please review the job description: (link)
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION: UNHCR’s workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. We seek to sustain and strengthen this diversity and to ensure equal opportunities, as well as an inclusive working environment, for our entire workforce. Joining us means living, sharing and promoting these core values of inclusion, diversity and gender equality.
Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on the grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.