ICRC - International Committee of the Red Cross
ICRC HQ Geneva
Please note that the ICRC is not a UN-system organization.
Reports to (role)
- Regional Head of Resource Mobilization, Asia Pacific.
The Resource Mobilization Division (REM) manages the institutional relationship between ICRC and its various donors. It seeks to position the ICRC as the “partner of choice” for donors and generate a quality, flexible, diversified and sustainable income that will protect the independence of the ICRC’s humanitarian action and its unique position as guardian of international humanitarian law.
The REM Asia-Pacific (AP) region oversees the institution’s collective fundraising efforts “in” and “for” the AP region. It ensures the delivery of annual Resource Mobilization targets and manages relations with key ICRC teams in the AP region.
In the framework of ICRC Resource Mobilization Strategy 2020 – 2030 and its related Implementation Plan, the REM AP region launched in 2021 a prototype aiming at optimizing the way the ICRC fundraises in AP and at testing new approaches and models of collaboration in order to achieve increased financial returns from non-traditional sources.
The REM country manager implements the ICRC fundraising strategy for one or several of the following governments: Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Republic of Korea. The country manager: interacts with Permanent Missions in Geneva and with counterparts at capital level, in close collaboration with the relevant ICRC delegations; may be required to provide support in managing the funding relationship with some ASEAN governments at the level of Permanent Missions in Geneva.
Given the ongoing and sequenced structural changes within the REM Division, as part of the implementation of the strategy for 2030, the portfolio and the length of the contract may be subject to change. Throughout various recruitments, the REM division’s goal is to identify and retain talent. REM management strives for communication and planning early on to ensure minimal impact on existing and future staff.
- Internally, interacts with the operational desk and various métiers (movement, wathab, health, protection, etc.), with delegations and with REM experts and enabler.
- Externally, interacts at working level with the Permanent Missions of Geneva (counselor, first secretary), with interlocutors of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and other ministries/agencies of interest at the capital level.
- Understands and adheres to the seven Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement.
- Understands and adheres to the ICRC Code of Conduct.
- Understands the roles of the components of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement.
- Respects and observes staff regulations and security rules at all times.
- Represents the ICRC in a professional manner at all times.
- Develops and maintains a pleasant and conducive working environment with colleagues and line managers.
- Performs all duties with the highest level of confidentiality in the interest of the employees and the ICRC.
- May be asked to perform tasks not covered in this job description and to provide support to other departments when necessary.
People management responsibilities
- No people management responsibilities.
Main duties & responsibilities
- Supports the Regional Head of Resource Mobilization in defining the ICRC´s overarching fundraising strategy for the relevant countries, as well as in other tasks as required;
- Acts as interface between the ICRC and donors and ensures that the ICRC capitalizes on the links between government, private and National Society donors (The virtuous circle);
- Supports and contributes to the negotiation of funding contracts;
- Facilitates institutional and operational contacts with all donors and ensures the necessary follow-up;
- Is a focal point for the relevant Regions and Delegations on fundraising;
- Conducts or facilitates fundraising visits to respective capitals and participates in donor events as the « face of the ICRC », including social events;
- Identifies new funding opportunities with new donors or untapped budget lines;
- Presents to specific donor audiences ICRC´s operations and thematic files such as IDPs, Sexual Violence, Gender, Health, HCiD, RBM and Innovation;
- Develops narrative and provides customized service according to interest and needs of the donor;
- Mobilizes hierarchy and REM colleagues to implement the strategy and achieve goals.
Professional experience required
- 10-12 years professional experience;
- ICRC experience a must;
- ICRC field experience is a clear asset;
- Experience in representing the ICRC to donors and other external audiences either in the field or HQ;
- An in-depth knowledge of and strong experience in the Asia-Pacific region (especially in Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Republic of Korea) highly desirable;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and presentation skills;
- Confident, collaborative and motivated self-starter, comfortable working with minimal supervision;
- Excellent networking experience and pro-active relationship building;
- Capable of designing influence and engagement strategies;
- Able to set priorities and follow objectives, to take initiatives, analyze and synthesize;
- Capacity to work under pressure with a large number of interlocutors;
- Demonstrated ability to work rapidly (meet deadlines) and efficiently; administratively meticulous.
Certifications / Education required
- University degree required (BA and/or MA) preferably in social science, business administration or management qualification an asset;
- Fluent in English. French an asset for internal communication, but not a must;
- Computer proficiency.
- Location: Geneva
- Type of contract: Required Rotation
- Duration of assignment: 48 months
- Grade: C1
- Activity rate: 100%
- Estimated start date: June 2023
- Application deadline: Sunday, the 29th of January 2023, 11:59PM GMT
Are you ready for the next chapter of your career? Apply today!
The ICRC values diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates.