Economics Specialist/Sr Specialist
Are you an economics researcher who is familiar with the development challenges faced by Latin America and the Caribbean who wants to make a difference in the development of the region? Do your peers recognize you as someone who possesses: (1) strong technical skills; (2) a record of-or good prospects for—high-quality, original research in peer-reviewed journals; and (3) the ability to communicate with a wide range of potential audiences? Join the Research Department and the team of the Chief Economist!
Background: We are looking for Ph. D.-level economists to work in our Research Department (RES) or other areas of the organization. This call is open to all areas, but we particularly seek a combination of rigorous academic approach and the potential to publish as well as a strong interest on policy issues. We are considering Ph.D. candidates, as well as those who have recently graduated.
What you’ll do:
- Conduct economic research, identifying challenges and issues, applying theoretical and/or empirical economic analysis and developing policy recommendations.
- Contribute to the development of new or revised tools and methodologies of economic analysis.
- Present research to academic and non-academic audiences and refine research papers in the light of comments for eventual publication in refereed journals.
- Coordinate and/or review and evaluate the academic work of outside researchers (consultants and research institutions hired through the Latin American Research Network or otherwise), ensuring that they meet the highest standards of quality.
- Develop networks for disseminating research findings, promoting cooperative research initiatives, and discussing policy issues within and outside the Bank.
- Participate in the conceptualization, production and dissemination of publications such as the annual Latin American and Caribbean Macroeconomic Report and the flagship publication known as Development in the Americas, by leveraging internal and external resources and addressing new research issues to encourage policy discussions and enhance the visibility and impact of our work.
Skills you’ll need:
Consanguinity: You have no family members (up to fourth degree of consanguinity and second degree of affinity, including spouse) working at the IDB, IDB Invest, or IDB Lab.
Education: Ph.D. in Economics required (completed at the time of appointment). Experience: Minimum of 4 years (for grade 5) and 5 years (for grade 4) of experience. We are considering future Ph.D. graduates as well as those who have recently graduated. Preference will be given to individuals who combine a strong academic profile with an interest in policy and who have worked on topics relevant to development in Latin America and the Caribbean. Languages: A good working knowledge of at least two official Bank languages (English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish).
Members of the selection panel will conduct interviews soon after the call for application is finished and during the window of the Allied Social Sciences Association (ASSA) meetings. A cover letter, CV, and job market paper must be submitted along with the application. Additionally, three (3) academic reference letters must be e-mailed to RESJobs@iadb.org. The deadline for applying is November 29, 2021.
Link to Technical Competences (← please Ctrl + Click) Link to Core Competences (← please Ctrl + Click)
About us: At the Inter-American Development Bank, we’re devoted to improving lives. Since 1959, we’ve been a leading source of long-term financing for economic, social, and institutional development in Latin America and the Caribbean. We do more than lending though. We partner with our 48 member countries to provide Latin America and the Caribbean with cutting-edge research about relevant development issues, policy advice to inform their decisions, and technical assistance to improve on the planning and execution of projects. For this, we need people who not only have the right skills, but also are passionate about improving lives.
- Type of contract: Fixed-term, staff
- Length of contract: 3 years
- Starting date: As soon as possible
- Location: Headquarters, Washington, D.C.
- Requirements: You must be a citizen of one of the 48 IDB Member Countries and have no family member currently working at the IDB Group.
Our inclusive culture: Our people are committed and passionate about improving lives in Latin-America and the Caribbean, and they get to do what they love in a diverse, collaborative and stimulating work environment.
We are the first Latin American and Caribbean development institution to be awarded the EDGE certification, recognizing our strong commitment to gender equality. As an employee you can be part of internal resource groups that connect our diverse community around common interests.
Because we are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, we embrace all diversity and encourage women, LGBTQ+, persons with disabilities, afro-descendants, and indigenous people to apply.
About us: At the IDB, we’re committed to improving lives. Since 1959, we’ve been a leading source of long-term financing for economic, social, and institutional development in Latin America and the Caribbean. We do more than lending though. We partner with our 48-member countries to provide Latin America and the Caribbean with cutting-edge research about relevant development issues, policy advice to inform their decisions, and technical assistance to improve on the planning and execution of projects. For this, we need people who not only have the right skills, but also are passionate about improving lives.
The IDB offers a competitive remuneration and benefits package.
Our team in Human Resources carefully reviews all applications.
Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic and its implications for our Region, the IDB Group is reviewing its hiring needs and re-prioritizing its areas of talent acquisition. We encourage candidates to continue to apply to the active postings, yet current job openings
may be subject to further decisions in terms of timing of the processes, or other actions, in accordance with business needs. Final hiring decisions may also be conditioned to the candidate’s ability to timely relocate to the post of duty at the moment of starting service.
- External Opening Date: Sep 1, 2021
- External Closing Date: Nov 29, 2021
- External Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- External Contact Name: HR Service Center
- Job Field: Economics
- Office IDB Washington