Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Job Requisition Type: Evergreen (Formerly known as talent pools, in order to have a balanced number of ready-to-hire candidates who can be deployed at short notice to a vacancy that best matches their skills. Evergreens are primarily used to fill Temporary Appointments.)
Call for applications – Registration and Identity Management Officer, P3: Location: Various location
Why should you join us?: UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, takes the lead in protecting people forced to flee wars and persecution around the world, providing life-saving aid including shelter, food and water to ensure their basic safety, rights and dignity. With 18,879 women and men working in 137 countries, we work tirelessly to make a difference in the lives of 89.3 million forcibly displaced people worldwide.: Our dedicated and professional staff work around the clock in roles including legal protection, community services, public affairs, health and more. Despite the challenges they can face, our staff are proud to work for UNHCR and determined to make a positive impact.
How can you make a difference?: The Registration and Identity Management Officer (RIMO) will function under the direct supervision of a Senior Registration or Protection staff in the regional bureau or country operation. The incumbent supports the management of UNHCR’s registration and identity management-related activities. They may receive functional guidance from the Data, Identity Management and Analysis (DIMA) Unit, in the regional bureau, and the Global Data Service (GDS), in Headquarters.
Registration is an essential tool for the delivery of protection, targeted assistance, and for identification of durable solutions. Registration and identity management also facilitates the inclusion of UNHCR’s population of concern with service providers, partners and host States. The incumbent supports the implementation of registration and identity management strategies in close collaboration with host States and partners. Registration and identity management activities are conducted in accordance with the UNHCR Data Protection Policy and national legislation, where relevant.
Key responsibilities and duties::
- Design and implement appropriate registration strategies and methodologies for populations of concern in compliance with the protection strategy of the operation and meeting registration standards. Ensure appropriate participatory approach and consultations with the people we serve, and partners, as well as advocacy with government authorities.
- Design, implement and revise, as required, operation-specific SOPs for all aspects of registration in accordance with applicable standards and policies, including provisions for the protection of individual data and prevention and identification of fraud. Ensure training and internal capacity building of UNHCR staff, government and partners on registration procedures, technologies and standards.
- Plan, implement and monitor registration-related activities, as part of UNHCR’s normal planning cycle to ensure that provision is made for material and human resources to adequately support the process.
- In cooperation with the relevant units, ensure identification and referral to protection services and assistance. Develop data sharing agreements with government authorities and partners providing services.
- In cooperation with Operational Data Management and Information Management staff, ensure standardization and timely dissemination of reports and statistics on persons of concern, which will inform programme, planning, protection interventions and statistical reporting activities.
Who are we looking for?: Candidate with 6 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 5 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 4 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree.
Requirements: Strong understanding of the principles and concepts of international protection and UNHCR, including Guidance on Registration and Identity Management and the Policy and Guidance on the Protection of Personal Data of Persons of Concern. Strong managerial, planning and coordination skills. Experience in process re-engineering (process redesign, process transformation, or change management). Experience working with partners, including host and donor Governments, humanitarian and development partners.
Advantage: Experience with registration, identity management and biometric systems within UNHCR’s PRIMES suite of tools. Experience in data collection and analysis. Demonstrated understanding of digital identity standards and of civil registration, population registers and other national identity management systems. Demonstrated knowledge of UNHCR and interagency policies, standards, programmes and operations. Familiarity with planning, programming, strategic planning, project development, budgeting and resource mobilization.
For a more detailed description, please review the job description: (link)
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION: UNHCR’s workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. We seek to sustain and strengthen this diversity and to ensure equal opportunities, as well as an inclusive working environment, for our entire workforce. Joining us means living, sharing and promoting these core values of inclusion, diversity and gender equality.
Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on the grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.