JOB TITLE: Research, Assessment & Monitoring (RAM) Officer (Resilience Monitoring), SC-8
Contract Type: Service Contract (national consultancy)
Contract duration: 4 months (extendable)
Duty Station (City, Country): WFP Regional Bureau for Western Africa, Dakar, Senegal
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the 2020 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate. We are the world’s largest humanitarian organization, saving lives in emergencies and using food assistance to build a pathway to peace, stability, and prosperity for people recovering from conflict, disasters, and the impact of climate change.
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. WFP is well known for its ability to deliver food assistance rapidly to people in need. In recent years, WFP has experienced a paradigm shift in response to an evolving operating environment that requires the UN agency’s technical expertise not only in the delivery of food assistance, but also in the development of sustainable climate-smart and nutrition-sensitive solutions that will support progress towards Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) Two: “End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition, and promote sustainable agriculture”.
ABOUT THE RESILIENCE PROGRAMME IN WEST AND CENTRAL AFRICA REGION
Despite governments and partners’ efforts towards the zero hunger goal, the Sahel region continues to be recurrently affected by multifaceted, complex, and recurrent shocks exacerbating existing vulnerabilities and maintaining communities in a cycle of food insecurity and poverty. To break this cycle, WFP started implementing a paradigm shift since 2018, which consists of a scale-up of a new approach of programme design, planning and implementation. This new paradigm intends to replace scattered, short-term and small-scale interventions with integrated, coordinated and medium-term programmes. Concretely, WFP started implementing an integrated resilience programme consisting of a package of activities, including asset creation and livelihood support, nutrition prevention and treatment, nutrition-sensitive activities, school-based programmes, smallholder market support activities, etc. This integrated package is implemented in the same areas, targeting the same vulnerable households for a duration of 3 to 5 years in order to build their resilience to various shocks and stressors.
PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
To address the growing demand for evidence generation for this integrated resilience programme in the Sahel, as well as other resilience programmes implemented in the RBD region, the WFP Regional Bureau for West Africa (RBD) is recruiting a RAM Officer (Resilience Monitoring) to support the monitoring and reporting of WFP’s resilience programme, and support Country Offices (COs) in developing and managing monitoring systems for resilience interventions. This position will work under the overall guidance of the Senior Regional Research, Assessment and Monitoring (RAM) Advisor, and in close collaboration with other RAM team members and the Resilience and Livelihoods Unit (RLU). The RAM Officer will be in contact with COs’ M&E teams and provide regular and ad-hoc support to all G5 Sahel WFP COs to ensure timely implementation of monitoring activities and the availability of quality data at CO and RBD levels.
At this position, you will:
- Support WFP resilience operations in the G5 Sahel and other RBD countries, helping COs set up monitoring systems for the collection, validation, and use of output data at various levels (between partners and suboffices, and between suboffices and COs).
- Compile, quality-control and make available output and outcome data at the regional level in a regular and timely manner, to inform decision making for programme management, as well as advocacy papers and donor reports including the annual and semi-annual reports submitted to Germany’s Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
- Support RLU with additional information needs as needed for decision-making, advocacy, and reporting.
- Provide technical support to COs with the design and implementation of Post-Distribution Monitoring (PDM) exercises and annual follow-up surveys.
- Ensure the dissemination of best practices in terms of monitoring and evaluation of integrated resilience sites.
- Support systematic georeferencing of intervention sites across the G5 Sahel as well as visualisation of data and site-specific information.
- Contribute to the ongoing work on resilience monitoring and measurement, as well as on generating evidence on the impact of the integrated programme on social cohesion, unsafe migration, environment restoration, reduction of gender inequalities, etc.
- Support documentation of challenges, best practices and innovation from the monitoring and reporting process.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Strong skills in monitoring and evaluation, data management, analysis, and visualization.
- Research background in a relevant discipline and hands-on work in consolidation and use of data for decision making
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and be able to develop and maintain effective work relationships.
- Interest in humanitarian assistance and sustainable development, and willing to be based in Dakar, Senegal with international travel when required.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Advanced University degree (minimum Bac+4) in statistics, data science/mining, economics, monitoring and evaluation, social sciences, development studies, or similar.
- Minimum Four (04) years of relevant work experience in designing and managing M&E systems and frameworks, statistical analysis, econometrics, or database management/visualization with a UN agency or in a structure recognized for the quality of its statistical analysis.
- Experience or training in social services, food security and nutrition and /or knowledge of WFP work are considered an asset.
TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Experience using a variety of quantitative and qualitative analysis tools and methods;
- Good knowledge of tools used for data collection, processing, analysis, and visualization such as ODK, SPSS, Stata, ARCGIS/QGIS, TABLEAU. Knowledge of R and related applications including RStudio and RStudio Connect is considered a strong asset.
- Fluency (level C) in English and French language.
WHY WORK WITH US?
This position is based in the Regional Bureau for Western Africa, Dakar, Senegal. It supports 19 country offices (CO) in their programme delivery and advocates for the integration of WFP corporate priorities (People at the centre, Organizational effectiveness, Triple Nexus, and Digital transformation) into national policies and programmes.
The Regional Bureau core functions are to provide strategic guidance, technical support, and operational oversight. By providing guidance and policy support to COs, the Regional Bureau ensures clear communication at the management level between HQ, RB and COs, in line with the realignment of HQ-RB responsibilities, including advisory support to improve the quality of programme implementation, positioning and fundraising efforts. Significant work of the Regional Bureau is around technical support provided to COs, notably to ensure the quality of project design, to facilitate the sharing of technical resources and enhance CO’s staff capacity. WFP Regional Bureau also advocates for assessing and recommending appropriate actions to strengthen the capacities of Governments and National actors involved in achieving SDG2, foster the linkages between national academics, research entities and WFP operations. The Regional Bureau works to strengthen the emergency preparedness and response capacities across the region to strategically position WFP as the leading organization responding to emergencies.
This is an opportunity for an exciting and challenging position in a multi-cultural and interdisciplinary team, based in a unique location, on a topic with high relevance. In addition, we offer: â-¶ï¸ Meaningful and impactful careers: Our day to day work makes a difference in the lives of the people we serve
â-¶ï¸ Continuous learning and training: We provide learning tools for our staff to continually develop their careers
â-¶ï¸ Multicultural and stimulating work environment: We encourage gender and cultural diversity to make our teams stronger
Join us to make a difference, watch this video to know more about us!!
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: 8 SEPTEMBER 2021
Qualified female applicants are especially encouraged to apply.
WFP has zero-tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate based on race, sex, colour, ethnic group, age, sexual orientation, other affiliation, or HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
- Office WFP Dakar, Senegal