UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
Job Identification : 5906
Locations : Terekeka, South Sudan
Posting Date : 09/15/2022, 10:20 AM
Apply Before : 09/30/2022, 10:20 AM
Job Schedule : Full time
Agency : UNDP
Vacancy Type : National Personnel Service Agreement
Practice Area : Governance
Bureau : Regional Bureau for Africa
Education & Work Experience : Bachelor’s Degree – 2 year(s) experience OR High School certificate- 5 year(s) experience
Required Languages : Local Arabic
Desired Languages : English
South Sudan gained its independence in 2011 following a long and protracted civil war. Since then, two significant conflicts broke out (December 2013 and July 2016) plunging the country in a deep economic, social and political crisis which have undermined the development gains achieved since independence and exacerbated the continuing humanitarian crisis. The country is endowed with vast natural resources and economic potential that has not translated into improved standards of living for the citizens. It is extremely vulnerable to climate change impacts with rising temperatures and the increasing severity of drought and flood events having major negative impacts on lives and livelihoods. Such impacts compounded food insecurity, conflicts and a macroeconomic crisis. Capacity-constrained institutions and fragile governance in the post-conflict context add to the challenges of climate change adaptation in South Sudan.
The environment and natural resources of South Sudan are the foundation for economic and social development to satisfy important economic, social, cultural and political needs of its peoples. However, climate change coupled with human activities are posing a threat to the quality of environment mostly resulting from unsustainable use of natural resources and pollution from agricultural development. Land degradation poses serious threats to food security, water availability, adaptation and mitigation to climate change and the livelihoods of the people of South Sudan.
UNDP, with support from UNEP and GEF, is implementing a project that focuses on priority areas identified within South Sudan’s Nationally Determined Commitments (NDC) and National Adaptation Plan (NAP), namely, agriculture, disaster risk reduction, environment, water resources, policy and institutional frameworks. The primary objective of the project is to increase the resilience of vulnerable communities in two states in South Sudan to the observed and predicted impacts of climate change. This objective will be achieved through a series of complementary interventions that will: i) increase the capacity of the government to implement climate change adaptation interventions; ii) upgrade the national meteorological network and support the production of short-range forecasts; iii) demonstrate the benefits of ecosystem-based adaptation (EbA) for buffering against climate change impacts, as well as for increasing the provision of ecosystem goods and services; iv) improve access to water for agriculture and livestock; v) foster sustainable, climate-resilient production of crops, fodder and fuelwood to reduce pressures on natural resources; and vi) produce and disseminate knowledge on climate change adaptation to inform evidence-based decision-making in relevant sectors. These interventions are designed to generate sustained benefits beyond the project’s lifetime, with a focus on capacity-building, community ownership, and knowledge generation and dissemination.
Duties and Responsibilities;
The Project Assistant will directly support all the technical, strategic and leadership functions of the strategic planning, budget planning, management and administration of the project by providing programme support, managing data and facilitating its implementation. The Programme Assistants promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations and works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and project teams in the UNDP CO for resolving complex programme-related issues and information delivery.
- Ensures administration and implementation of programme strategies, adapts processes and procedures focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Presentation of thoroughly researched information for effective application of RBM tools and establishment of management targets.
- Establishment of the mechanisms to track use of RBM tools and maintenance of RBM database;
- Presentation of information/ reports for identification of areas for support and interventions.
- Provides effective support to Programme and projects formulation and implementation
- Support preparation of background information for programme/project formulation, support project documentation preparation, work plans, budgets, proposals on implementation arrangements in line with the UNDP Results Management Userguide (RMG) requirements and GEF practices and guidelines.
- Assistance in preparation/reviews of project-related documents and quarterly/annual project reviews and ongoing monitoring, drafts standard correspondence and presentations on the projects/programmes
- Maintain and keep (original) donor and partner-related documentation of the project (e.g. correspondence, donor reports).
- Assist in coordination of project activities with consultants, drafts terms of reference for the consultants.
- Provide both internal and external clients (including Country Offices) with timely and adequate support/ information on programme and project activities
- Review of GEF project submissions to ensure correct format, edits, procedures, calculations etc
- Responsibility for ensuring GEF submissions are made and tracking of submissions at HQ and GEFSEC. Maintaining data on submission and response times
- Handles the issuance of Delegations of Authorities (DOAs), review of Annual Work Plans (AWPs) and issuance of Annual Spending Limits (ASLs)
- Support to CO in preparing project budget revisions, review of budget revisions and forwarding of advice/recommendations
- Monitors project delivery, provides monthly Atlas project progress reports to STARR, ensures submission of progress reports
- Ensures all project Atlas information is up to date and fully maintained by COs, including Risk Management Module and issues log
- Supports COs with project delivery, identifying issues, providing early warning of delivery blockages, and working with COs to ensure smooth delivery
- Maintaining portfolio and project information calendar: upcoming evaluations, supervision missions
- Support to operational and financial closure of projects, including appropriate reporting to UNEP and GEF as necessary.
- Provides project financial support focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Proper control of the supporting documents for payments, review of projects Financial Reports.
- Management of project Budget, providing monthly status reports to Project Manager and the STARR unit, preparing budget revisions, reporting and liaising with STARR unit on project budget matters
- Based on the Project Manager instructions and discussions creation of a project in Atlas, creation of project award, determination of unutilized funds and donor balances, operational and financial close of a project.
- Annual review of project transactions and follow up on Atlas generated Combined Delivery Reports (CDRs) that should be signed by the project manager/CO and uploaded to Atlas
- Recommends and makes the budget revisions ensuring that appropriate formats are used and uploaded to Atlas
- Sets up and monitors the budgets, updates financial information on delivery and status of implementation of the projects
- Drafts the financial reports for donors, monitors use of cost sharing funds and other resources
- Tracks and reports on mobilized resources. Review of contributions agreement, managing contributions in Atlas, follow up on General Management Services fee (GMS).
- Liaison with project implementation agencies to make sure that Project Delivery Reports (PDRs) are appropriately uploaded to Atlas
- Assists with financial closure of the projects in line with standard operating procedures.
- Provides administrative and operational support to the project focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas.
- Timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers.
- Prepares both Non-PO and purchase orders (PO) based vouchers in Atlas
- Creation and with introduction of e-procurement module approval of requisitions in Atlas for projects
- Making budget check for requisitions and vouchers
- Supports monthly, quarterly and annual closure of accounts as per instructions issued by the appropriate unit
- Assists in Procurement process for the projects as requested
- Prepare documents for Contracts, Assets and Procurement Panel (CAP) meetings
- Facilitates project inventories and inventory records keeping
- Assists in meetings, drafts minutes and correspondence as requested
- Assists in ad-hoc Practice administrative and operational issues as requested
- Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the project focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on programme.
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in programme.
- PIMS management, ensuring all pages of projects in Project Information Management System are fully up to date and maintained
- Contribute to the project and STARR knowledge management and lessons learned
- Preparing information on project pipeline and portfolio as requested by Chief Programme Advisor, Project Manager, UNEP and/or GEF
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
Adapt with Agility:
LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
Act with Determination:
LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
Engage and Partner:
LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
Enable Diversity and Inclusion:
LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Required Skills and Experience
Diploma or higher in Accounting, Finance, Management and related fields. University Degree is an advantage.
- Experience in working with UN agencies and national government;.
- Good communication skills
- 3 years of progressively responsible administrative or programme experience is required. Experience working in a donor-funded project will be an asset
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English and Arabic
Important information for US Permanent Residents (‘Green Card’ holders)
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.