UNESCO - United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
UNESCO Paris, France
Post Number : SC/PA 045
Grade : G-4
Parent Sector : Natural Sciences Sector (SC)
Duty Station: Paris
Job Family: Natural Sciences
Type of contract : Project Appointment
Duration of contract : 1 year
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 01-JUL-2022
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
Only candidates who are entitled to work in France may apply to this position.
Duration of contract: 1 year with possibility of extension, subject to availability of funds and performance.
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the general supervision of the Director of the Division of Ecological and Earth Sciences and the specific supervision of the Project Manager, the incumbent shall provide administrative and secretarial support to the Programme Specialist working on the implementation of the activities related to the Man and the Biosphere (MAB) biodiversity extra-budgetary projects. The incumbent shall in particular be required to perform the following duties: Long Description
- Assist the Project Manager and programme specialists in coordinating and implementing the extra-budgetary projects’ activities and liaise with UN-offices and institutions: this includes drafting, reviewing and editing correspondence and any other projects related documents; prepare in-house communications and responses to queries in English, French; analyze, register and distribute mail; ensure regular contacts with administrative focal persons in extra-budgetary partners and within UNESCO field offices, sectors and central services; prepare informal translations in English/French; and ensure the constant follow-up of the above-mentioned tasks.
- Assist in the organization of projects’ meetings, conferences, workshops and other events related to the above-mentioned partnership and associated projects; arrange for meeting facilities and equipment, make travel arrangements; prepare correspondence and assemble documents for participants and organize the distribution of the projects’ communication materials and prepare event-related information for posting on websites.
- Prepare draft contracts and purchase orders enter contract details using the automated financial management ERP systems; assure their follow-up as necessary; verify conformity of deliverables and prepare payment requests; organize missions by preparing mission requests and travel and accommodation arrangements following UNESCO’s rules and regulations; coordinate the acquisition and maintenance of office equipment, materials and supplies.
- Follow-up financial settlement of all expenses and report to the responsible Project management team.
- Provide any other assistance to the Project Manager team if required for the purpose of the projects.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
Planning and organizing (C)
Results focus (C)
For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
- Completed Secondary education/apprenticeship.
- A minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience in secretarial and administrative support tasks.
- Experience in organizing events such as project meetings, conferences, workshops.
Skills and competencies
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, including ability to draft correspondence and correct documents in English and/or French.
- Good organizational and coordination skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team, to take initiatives and provide quality and timely support and services.
- Discretion, loyalty and diplomacy.
- Ability to work in an international and multicultural environment.
- Ability to adjust priorities and work schedules; capacity to work effectively and meet the fixed time frames.
- Good computer skills, including MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.).
- Excellent knowledge of English or French and good knowledge of the other language.
- Advanced studies in secretarial and administration.
- Working experience within an international organization.
- Experience of operational projects implementation.
Skills and competencies
- Knowledge of procedures as well as administrative practices in an international environment.
- Knowledge of ERP systems.
- Good knowledge (written and spoken) of Spanish language.
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For more information in benefits and entitlements, please consult ICSC website.
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.
UNESCO recalls that paramount consideration in the appointment of staff members shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, technical competence and integrity. UNESCO applies a zero-tolerance policy against all forms of harassment. UNESCO is committed to achieving and sustaining equitable and diverse geographical distribution, as well as gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Candidates from non- and under-represented Member States ( last update here) are particularly welcome and strongly encouraged to apply. Individuals from minority groups and indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.