UNESCO - United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
UNESCO Cluster Office Senegal
Post Number : 6SNED0030RP
Grade : P-4
Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Dakar
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Duration of contract : 2 years with possibility of renewal
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 03-SEP-2022
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for Education (ADG/ED), the functional authority of the Director of the UNESCO Multi-sectoral Regional Office in Dakar, and the direct supervision of the Chief of Education Section, the incumbent will support the planning, coordination and implementation of the regional Programme on Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) and manage a team of staff working in the area of skills for life and the world of work. In particular, the incumbent will perform the following functions: 1. Programme Design and Management
- Coordinate, plan, monitor and implement the Office’s Programme on Skills for life and the world of work (Literacy, TVET, STEM, Higher Education). Identify focus areas within the Member States national priorities and in alignment with the UNESCO Strategy for TVET (2022-2029), the UN and other development partners’ approaches and strategies. Recommend programmes and approaches to respond to multi-sectoral development challenges.
- Develop, support and monitor programmes and strategies with regard to the Sustainable Development Goals 4 (SDG4-Education 2030) and 8 (SDG8-Employment), the UN Development Assistance Frameworks (UNDAF) and UNESCO Country Strategy (UCS) documents, including in areas of education policy, planning and management in particular in the area of skills for life and the world of work.
- Lead the secretariat of the multi-partner initiative on digital transformation of TVET and skills development in Africa.
2. Policy Advice and Technical Assistance
- Initiate and develop policy advice, methodological tools and technical assistance to Ministries of Education and other key stakeholders to implement regional and country-level programme activities, in particular in areas of skills for life and the world of work planning, resource projections and information management systems with a focus on TVET.
- Develop, implement and monitor research activities, technical assistance projects, capacity development Programmes and related funding proposals on policy and technical issues pertinent to TVET and skills development in the region.
3. Knowledge Management, Partnerships and Resources Mobilization
- Develop knowledge base and implement outreach strategies, aimed at expanding and communicating UNESCO programmes on skills for life and the world of work with a focus on TVET.
- Mobilize and network, in collaboration with UNESCO Specialized Institutes (especially IIEP, UIL, UIS) and UNESCO International Centre (especially UNEVOC), with national, regional and international partners, including in the context of the Regional Coordination Group on SDG4 – Education 2030.
- Mobilize resources to support skills development policy analysis, planning and system development in the region, by preparing project proposals and cooperation frameworks with Member States and donor agencies and by engaging in fundraising activities.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
Planning and organizing (C)
Results focus (C)
Building partnerships (M)
Driving and managing change (M)
Managing performance (M)
Making quality decisions (M)
Strategic thinking (M)
Leading and empowering others (M)
For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in education policy, science, engineering, economics, or related field.
- Minimum seven (7) years of progressively responsible relevant professional experience in the field of education and training, of which preferably 3 years acquired at the international level.
- Experience in formulating, implementing and monitoring TVET-related policies, strategies, programmes/projects.
- Experience in reviewing and analysing TVET-related policies.
Skills and Competencies
- Excellent coordination and interpersonal skills, and ability to manage staff and teams in a multicultural environment.
- Analytical skills and ability to collect, synthesize and analyze information from various sources.
- Proven ability to identify emerging development trends and educational needs.
- Ability to provide policy advice and assistance to policy and decision makers.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to prepare, present and discuss findings and recommendations clearly and concisely.
- Demonstrated ability to plan strategically, and to translate strategy into priorities and action.
- Ability to coordinate and negotiate with partners, network and different stakeholders.
- Very good IT skills, knowledge of Media and Information Literacy (MIL).
- Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of English or French, and good knowledge of the other language.
- Advanced university degree (PhD or equivalent) in the field of education, public policies, international development or related field.
- Advanced training in economics, statistical analysis or planning.
- Experience in fundraising.
- Experience in policy support and capacity development in education planning, resource projections and information management systems.
- Experience in design, management and coordination of education plans and strategies at the international level.
- Experience in research pertaining to TVET policies and management.
- Experience in undertaking quantitative and qualitative analysis and surveys for data collection.
Skills and Competencies
- Familiarity with the work and functioning of the UN System including key mechanisms such as the UN Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF), UN Country Team (UNCT), Delivering as One (DaO) and other joint UN Programming and UN inter-agency initiatives.
- Good knowledge of Portuguese.
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
The approximate annual starting salary for this post is USD 105,540.
For full information on benefits and entitlements, please consult our Guide to Staff Benefits.
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.
UNESCO recalls that paramount consideration in the appointment of staff members shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, technical competence and integrity. UNESCO applies a zero-tolerance policy against all forms of harassment. UNESCO is committed to achieving and sustaining equitable and diverse geographical distribution, as well as gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Candidates from non- and under-represented Member States ( last update here) are particularly welcome and strongly encouraged to apply. Individuals from minority groups and indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.