TÍTULO DEL CARGO:
Programme Officer for Resilience and Climate Change
TIPO DE CONTRATO: Fixed Term Appointment (FTA)
UNIDAD: Programme Unit
LUGAR DE TRABAJO: Bogotá, Colombia
NIVEL DE REMUNERACIÓN: NOA
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The United Nations World Food Program (WFP) Colombia’s strategy is constructed on the premise that supporting the Government of Colombia to reach Sustainable Development Goals 17 and 2, while contributing to other Goals, will achieve a more inclusive humanitarian assistance, peace and development. WFP’s strategy aligns with emerging Government priorities, supporting humanitarian, recovery, development and technical assistance needs as required, and contributing to peace and stabilization. Building on lessons learned in Colombia, WFP will maintain its capacity to respond to relief needs as requested by the Government. It will work with ethnic groups and the people most affected by conflict, climate change, and communities that have been “left behind”.
The new Country Strategic Plan -CSP- 2021-2024 that has been agreed with the Government of Colombia has three stratetig outcomes, 1) “estabilización: paz con legalidad”, 2) “migración como factor de desarrollo” and 3) “asistencia técnica para la aceleración de los ods catalizadores”. Strategic outcome 1 will supports the efforts of the Colombian State in: (i) building resilience and adaptation to climate change of vulnerable communities exposed to climate hazards and extreme natural events; (ii) strengthen the institutional offer development as well as livelihoods and capacities of communities in PDET municipalities; (iii) social and economic reintegration of FARC ex-combatants and their families.
Partnerships are a strong factor for success and WFP is therefore working closely with several government entities in the process, including, the Ministry of Environment (MADS). Stregenth of individual and community assets, work on climate change activities and deliver support for economic integration will be a priority. Work is also conducted closely with other UN entities such as FAO, IFAD, UNDP, ILO and IOM.
WFP is looking for a National Programme Officer for Resilience and Climate change who will take the lead on the activities implemented in relation to resilience and climate change adaptation of the CSP, to provide guidance on strategic activities ensuring that they are in line with WFP and national policies and guidelines. The role includes supervision of a team of specialised staffs focusing on the different projects implemented.
The incumbent will work under the direct supervision of the Resilience and Livelihoods Programme Officer as an integral part of the programme unit. With supervisory responsibilities for a current team of staff members, consultants and implementing partners for the implementation of wide range of interventions.
OBJECTIVE: To provide support to policy and programme activities that effectively meet food assistance needs, build resilience and climate change adaptation in rural and urban areas.
- Contribute towards the development of resilience and climate change adaptation plans and programmes, ensuring alignment with wider programme policies and guidances.
- Provide project management support to specific resilience and climate change programmes and projects, such as the Adaptation Fund project, ensuring a coordinated approach with wider programmes that complies with WFP standards and procedures.
- Follow data gathering and monitoring systems ensuring that rigorous quality standards are maintained.
- Research and analyse policy and operational issues to support senior colleagues in the development of policies, programmes and activities related to resilience and adaptation to climate change.
- Contribute to the preparation of accurate and timely reporting on programmes and activities that enable informed decision making and consistency of information presented to donors and stakeholders (e.g. Project Performance Report to the Adaptation Fund).
- Liaise with internal counterparts to ensure effective collaboration, monitor ongoing projects.
- Support the identification, development and management of potential partnerships to collaborative working leading to improve Food Security, Nutrition and climate change adaptation programmes (e.g. the Ministry of Environment (MADS) and the Ministry of Agriculture (MADR)).
- Provide guidance to support staff, acting as a point of referral and assisting them with analysis and queries.
- Other as required.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Support the capacity building of national government, partners and WFP staffs to prepare for and respond to food assistance and climate change adaptation needs, e.g. through project management support of learning initiatives.
- Support gender perspectives in resilience and climate change by incorporating them into projects, aiming for equal participation and benefits of women and men in targeted communities.
CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES: Theme
Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level
Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives
Understands WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the link to own work objectives.
Be a force for positive change
Flexibly adapts individual contributions to accommodate changes in direction from supervisors and internal/external changes (such as evolving needs of beneficiaries, new requirements of partners).
Make the mission inspiring to our team
Recognizes and shares with team members the ways in which individual contributions relate to WFP’s mission.
Make our mission visible in everyday actions
Sets own goals in alignment with WFP’s overall operations, and is able to communicate this link to others.
Look for ways to
Assesses own strengths and weaknesses to increase self-awareness, and includes these in conversations on own developmental needs.
Create an inclusive culture
Participates in open dialogue, and values the diverse opinion of others, regardless of background, culture, experience, or country assignment.
Be a coach & provide constructive feedback
Proactively seeks feedback and coaching to build confidence, and develop and improve individual skills.
Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit
Participates in accomplishing team activities and goals in the face of challenging circumstances.
Encourage innovation & creative solutions
Shows willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work.
Focus on getting results
Consistently delivers results within individual scope of work on time, on budget and without errors.
Make commitments and make good on commitments
Commits to upholding individual accountabilities and responsibilities in the face of ever-changing country or functional priorities.
Makes rational decisions about individual activities when faced with uncertain circumstances, including in times of ambiguity regarding information or manager direction.
Connect and share across WFP units
Seeks to understand and adapt to internal or cross-unit teams’ priorities and preferred working styles.
Build strong external partnerships
Demonstrates ability to understand and appropriately respond to and/or escalate needs of external partners.
Be politically agile & adaptable
Portrays an informed and professional demeanor toward internal and external partners and stakeholders.
Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships
Provides operational support on analyses and assessments that quantifies and demonstrates WFP’s unique value as a partner.
FUNCTIONAL CAPABILITIES: Capability Name
Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level
Programme Lifecycle & Food Assistance
Demonstrates ability to identify key variables and contextual factors that affect food assistance problems and programmes throughout the lifecycle to inform quality programme design or re-design.
Transfer Modalities (Food, Cash, Voucher)
Demonstrates ability to analyse and consolidate quantitative and qualitative information from different sources (e.g., market studies) to inform transfer modality selection and programme development.
Broad Knowledge of
Specialized areas (i.e.
Nutrition, VAM, etc.)
Demonstrates the ability to interpret basic data in the context of WFP specialised fields to contribute to technical programme design, implementation and monitoring.
Displays capacity to provide inputs into the development, implementation and realignment of high quality emergency programmes.
Strategic Policy Engagement w/ Government
Develops thorough recommendations using multiple inputs (e.g., government counsel, research, own experience) to strengthen national or subnational entities and government owned food and nutrition security programmes.
STANDARD MINIMUM ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS : Education: Advanced University degree in Environmental Science, Social Sciences Economics or other field relevant to international development assistance, or First University Degree with at least three (3) additional years of related work experience and/or trainings/courses.
- A minimum of one (1) year of posgraduate experience in programme and/or project planning, monitoring, implementation and evaluation activities.
- Experience working in Resilience building centered approaches on vulnerability reduction and implementation of Climate Change Adaptation activities using food aid, cash support and capacity strengthening assistance.
- Experience providing inputs into policy discussions and decisions related to resilience and climate change adaptation.
Languages: Fluency in Spanish. Fluency (level C) in English language.
Sólo se tendrán en cuenta a aquellas personas que cumplan con todos los requisitos establecidos en los términos de referencia.
Naciones Unidas está comprometida en lograr la diversidad laboral al interior de su oficina en términos de género, nacionalidad y cultura. Individuos de grupos sociales minoritarios, grupos indígenas y personas con discapacidad están por igual alentados a aplicar.
Todas las aplicaciones laborales serán tratadas con la más estricta confidencialidad.
Esta es una vacante local. En caso de ser extranjero, debe suministrar documentos que indiquen que usted cuenta con permiso para laborar legalmente en Colombia.
Por favor visite la siguiente página web para más información sobre el trabajo que realiza WFP.
- Office WFP Bogotá, Colombia