Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Job Requisition Type: Evergreen (Formerly known as talent pools, in order to have a balanced number of ready-to-hire candidates who can be deployed at short notice to a vacancy that best matches their skills. Evergreens are primarily used to fill Temporary Appointments.)
Call for applications – Programme Officer, P3: Location: Various locations
Why should you join us?: UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, takes the lead in protecting people forced to flee wars and persecution around the world, providing life-saving aid including shelter, food and water to ensure their basic safety, rights and dignity. With 18,879 women and men working in 137 countries, we work tirelessly to make a difference in the lives of 89.3 million forcibly displaced people worldwide.: Our dedicated and professional staff work around the clock in roles including legal protection, community services, public affairs, health and more. Despite the challenges they can face, our staff are proud to work for UNHCR and determined to make a positive impact.
How can you make a difference?: The Programme Officer may be based in HQ, regional bureau or a country operation, would normally receive guidance from more senior programme/operations staff in the operation/bureau/division and may supervise a small team of local and international staff. The Programme Officer will provide programmatic guidance and support with regard to the implementation of protection and solutions strategies within available resources. S/he will coordinate with the other sections/units to ensure harmonized programmatic approaches at all levels and throughout the UNHCR programme cycle. S/he will work in line with the multi-functional team approach and the overall UNHCR directions which crucially require working with stakeholders, including with forcibly displaced and stateless people, governmental institutions and entities, non-governmental organizations, the public and private sectors. The Programme Officer will ensure that programme management is approached as per UNHCR’s Strategic Directions, Global Compact for Refugees (GCR), corporate positions on SDGs. S/he may refer to UNHCR’s programme policies and the Programme Handbook, as well as other relevant institutional rules and regulations for further guidance.
Key responsibilities and duties::
- Provide support on programmatic aspects of developing and implementing evidence-based multi-year protection and solutions strategies and annual implementation priorities, in line with Results-based Management principles, programme planning, and management parameters outlined in policies and the Programme Handbook and other guidance.
- Support in assessing and analyzing the needs of the people we work for in a participatory manner, using an Age, Gender and Diversity (AGD) perspective as the basis for planning.
- Support in the provision of overall direction to broaden partnerships with key stakeholders, especially local organizations, to maximize the protection and solutions response for the forcibly displaced and stateless.
- Ensure the selection and retention of partners procedures are in place, based on the best-fit implementation modality, and the timely development of partnership agreements.
- Utilize consistent and coherent monitoring approaches, tools and systems that are in line with global standards and polices.
- Identify potential gaps and problems, in cooperation with other relevant sections, recommend appropriate solutions to ensure the efficient implementation of programme activities.
- Review and analyse plans and reports on results (in coordination with the multi-functional team), while ensuring quality assurance and compliance with established policies, procedures and standards.
- Oversee a timely and effective follow-up of internal and external audits observations and recommendations that relate to programmatic issues.
Who are we looking for?: Candidates with 6 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 5 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 4 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree.
Requirements: Demonstrated experience in programme management including familiarization with the UNHCR programme cycle and sound knowledge Results Based-Management principles. Demonstrated experience in field operations and sound knowledge on the centrality of protection in programming. Good coordination and stakeholder management, as well as monitoring and project management skills.
Advantage: Demonstrated experience in coordination within an inter-agency context and other actors, in a refugee or humanitarian context. Sound experience in program management training and capacity building activities. Strong capability to analyse complex financial and budgetary data, and formulate, draft and review project agreements. Possess good organizational, stakeholder and time management skills. Knowledge on Joint Needs Assessments and the principles of assistance targeting would be an asset.
For a more detailed description, please review the job description: (link)
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION: UNHCR’s workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. We seek to sustain and strengthen this diversity and to ensure equal opportunities, as well as an inclusive working environment, for our entire workforce. Joining us means living, sharing and promoting these core values of inclusion, diversity and gender equality.
Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on the grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.