UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
Job Identification : 8000
Locations : Banjul, Gambia
Posting Date : 01/20/2023, 10:25 AM
Apply Before : 02/04/2023, 04:59 AM
Job Schedule : Full time
Agency : UNDP
Grade : G7
Vacancy Type : Fixed Term
Practice Area : Inclusive Growth
Bureau : Regional Bureau for Africa
Contract Duration : 1 Year
Education & Work Experience : Bachelor’s Degree – 4 year(s) experience OR High School certificate- 7 year(s) experience
Required Languages : English
Background and Organizational Context
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UNDP Gambia is in its fourth year of implementation of its Country Programme Document 2022 – 2025. The Country Programme seeks to support the Government of the Gambia across 3 key strategic areas: 1. Economic Management, Human Capital Development and Poverty Eradication
2. Governance and Human Rights
3. Environment and resilience Development
The Gambia is at the cusp of transformation despite the multitude of development challenges, notably restoring good governance, stabilizing the economy, empowering youth, and making the private sector the engine of growth, transformation, and job creation. The Gambia is in the process of articulating its next Development Plan that will guide its investments, and to which the United Nations Development Plan will continue align and support. UNDP is and will continue to be a partner in this transformative process.
The UNDP’s 2022-25 Strategic Plan, which provides the overall guidance, is a comprehensive framework to support countries, including The Gambia, on their path towards attaining the SDGs through country programs driven by national development choices. UNDP Gambia is further guided by the UNDP Africa offer whose overarching goal is to accelerate the attainment of the 2030 SDGs and the African Union’s Agenda 2063. It is within this context that the UNDP Gambia focuses on (a) inclusive economic growth and poverty eradication; (b) governance and human rights; and (c) environment and resilience development. These efforts are part of the UN partnership in the Gambia and are in support of the national priorities.
Under the direct supervision of the Programme Specialist – Inclusive Growth, the Programme Associate for Implementation of the Poverty portfolio provides support services in ensuring high quality, accuracy and consistency of work. S/he ensures effective delivery of the Country Office (CO) performance in the Poverty portfolio by entering and managing data and supporting Government Partners in programme implementation and capacity development consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
The Programme Associate works in close collaboration with the Implementing Partners, operations, programme and project staff in the CO and UNDP HQs as required for resolving complex programme finance-related issues and exchange of information. The Programme Associate is a member of Programme Management Support Unit (PMSU) and can be a member of different teams within the programmatic clusters in the office as required.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supports formulation of programme strategies and implementation of the Country Programme Action Plan focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provide support in the preparation of CCA, UNDAF, CPD, implementation of CPAP using effective application of RBM tools;
- Support in the presentation of background information for the formulation of country programme, draft work plans, budgets, proposals on implementation arrangements Compliance of programme activities with standards, UNDP rules, regulations and procedures.
- Provides effective support to management of the CO programme focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Supports the CO in management of NEX audit, management audit and follow up on audit recommendations and implementation of audit action plans;
- Support the CO in management of micro assessments and spot checks and follow up on recommendations and implementation of assessments and spot checks actions;
- Reviews programme delivery in accordance with authorized programming level (ASL) and suggest measures for adequate optional utilization of funds;
- Ensures sound programme finance management through monitoring budget reversals and tracking delivery and updating expenditures;
- Review Detail Expenditures of Developments projects and carry out reversals when necessary;
- Provides programme managers with key financial data at regular intervals to facilitate early identification of problem areas and suggests remedial actions;
- Prepares regular managerial reports on the financial status of programme resources against Resource Planning Framework to provide reliable tool on which decisions and strategies related to the achievement of unit’s objectives are based;
- Track approval processes for Poverty project documents;
- Track budget approval processes, requests for advance and sending to KK in ATLAS/ QUANTUM. Focal point for routine programme follow-up and assignment.
- Provides administrative support to Government Implementing Partners & CO Programme Unit focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Review of NEX projects Financial Reports; preparation of payment requests in ATLAS/ QUANTUM for development projects;
- Review of NEX Advance Ageing Reports and follow up on unretired balances;
- Entering Financial Reports and requests for advance;
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed; transactions are correctly recorded and posted in ATLAS/QUANTUM;
- Timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, and unapproved vouchers;
- Creation of requisitions in ATLAS/QUANTUM for development projects, registering goods receipt in ATLAS/QUANTUM and uploading supporting documents for receipts in DMS;
- Liaise on a daily basis with the Programme Section on all Programme related issues;
- Making budget check for requisitions;
- Correcting record-keeping for the CO and projects by routine spot checks and inventory checks;
- Support IPs in the Preparation of Activity Work Plans, Funding Request and Certification of Expenditures (FACE) and Itemized Cost Estimates (ICE) and its implementation;
- Support IPs in the preparation of Financial Reports (FACE Reports & Bank Reconciliation), Quarterly Progress Reports and Annual Progress Reports.
- Support IPs in the timely preparation and submission of Request for Direct Payments (RDPs) and review the requests to ensure accuracy of the COA supporting documents.
- Facilitate business process mapping of programme finance-related functions such as budget revisions, advances, project budget clearance to ensure compliance to rules, regulations and financial accounting policies;
- Conduct regular field visits to implementing partners as part of follow up to project implementation and skills transfer;
- Financial monitoring and reporting of programme/project implementation to ensure compliance with corporate programme/project performance standards.
- Support operational and financial closure of completed projects on ATLAS/QUANTUM in accordance with UNDP policies.
- Support CO and Implementing Partners in the implementation of Quality Control Measures focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Ensure that agreements, project documents, MoUs are in line with UNDP corporate standards and requirements and properly filed or submitted to Finance;
- Clearing all new program agreements before they are signed by DRR or the RR;
- Review and clearance of budget revisions, NEX Advances and Financial reports in line with established office procedures/business process;
- Implementation of control mechanism for development projects through monitoring budget preparation and modifications, budget vs ASL, follow up to ensure fund availability at fund level (cash limits & ASLs);
- Keep up to date with changes in UNDP programming; project budgeting and accounting (IPSAS);
- Provide support to UNDP and IPs on project budgeting/accounting rules and procedures;
- Assist in the formulation of the Results Based Budgeting for Development projects;
- Support IPs on Proper record keeping and asset management.
- Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provision of guidance to the Implementing Partners on routine implementation of projects;
- Organize NEX training for counterparts in Government, NGOs and other implementing partners;
- Provide training and support to CO users in the overall operation of ATLAS/ QUANTUM Project Management module, particularly those concerning budget formulation, revision and reporting.
- Any other duties that may be assigned
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
- Results-based Management: Ability to manage programmes and projects with a focus at improved performance and demonstrable results.
- Accounting (General): Knowledge of accounting concepts, principles, frameworks, standards, regulations, policies and trends, and ability to apply this to strategic and/or practical situations.
- Budget Management: Ability to support budgetary aspects of work planning process, drawing and management of team budgets
- Relationship management: Ability to engage with a wide range of public and private partners, build, sustain and/or strengthen working relations, trust and mutual understanding
Required Skills and Experience
Secondary Education or Bachelor`s Degree in Business or Public Administration, Development, Economics, Political or Social Sciences would be desirable.
- 7 years (with secondary education) or 4 years (with bachelor’s degree) of progressively responsible administrative or programme experience is required at the national or international level;
- Experience in programme or project management;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems;
- Hands-on experience in support to development projects with Government, NGOs or UN sister Agencies.
- Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Development & Operational Effectiveness
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
- Client Orientation
- Fluency in English is required.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.