UNESCO - United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics, Trieste
Post Number : 1ITSC 0999TP
Grade : G-5
Parent Sector : Natural Sciences Sector (SC)
Duty Station: Trieste
Job Family: General Administrative Support
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Duration of contract : 2 years with possibility of renewal
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 29-JUL-2022
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
Only candidates who are entitled to work in the E.U. can apply for this position.
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Founded in 1964 by the late Nobel Laureate Abdus Salam and located in Trieste (Italy), the Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) seeks to accomplish its mandate by providing scientists from developing countries with the continuing education and skills that they need to enjoy long and productive careers. ICTP has been a major force in stemming the scientific brain drain from the developing world. For more than 50 years, ICTP has been a driving force behind global efforts to advance scientific expertise in the developing world.
Under the overall authority of the Director, ICTP and the daily coordination of the Executive Assistant, the incumbent provides secretarial and administrative support to the Directorate on a daily basis for a smooth running of the Office and for the organization and implementation of high-level meetings and events throughout their organizational phases, complying with and facilitating the accomplishment of internal administrative procedures in place at the Centre. The incumbent is also responsible for all administrative matters related to official duty travel of the Director and provides any necessary support to the Directorate to guarantee a successful outcome of official missions. Essential responsibilities include: Long Description
- Support as required in the planning of official missions of the ICTP Director, following internal procedures, and assist with the setting up of individual meetings abroad including those related to fundraising initiatives and all related follow-up.
- Contribute to the day-to-day implementation of administrative aspects of the Director’s Office as an integral part of the team to ensure effective execution of the activities.
ICTP representation and outreach
- Liaise with the Directorates of external organizations within the Trieste Science System, including the University of Trieste, Central European Initiative (CEI), SISSA, International School, United World College (UWC), ICGEB, ELETTRA, etc. on behalf of the Director, as centralized focal point.
- Coordinate the presence of ICTP at prestigious events both local and national by evaluating the background and scope of the event, and identifying and recommending to the Director the suitable ICTP representative.
- Provide input for the drafting of opening remarks, and/or briefs for meetings and events attended by the Director or by senior academic or managerial staff representing ICTP. Research background materials and prepare any dossiers required for the event.
Event and visitor management
- Process invitations for scientists, high-level delegates, register incoming visitors in the ICTP visitor management system and provide assistance necessary during their stay by interacting with other Sections/Units/Offices for appropriate travel, visa and accommodation arrangements and answer queries on procedural matters.
- Assist with the organization and advertising of scientific events, including booking of venues/IT support, in coordination with the Public Information Office for high-level events.
ICTP International Cooperation and Partnerships
- Contribute to the preparation of Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with national Governments, reviewing text for compliancy and official legalize, monitoring expiration dates, and initiate any renewal actions; Coordinate related signing ceremonies held at ICTP, identifying dignitaries who should attend.
- Build an online searchable repository of MoUs signed with Governments to facilitate follow up discussions for scientific collaboration, liaising with the internal Sigma Team to develop a systematic platform, in consultation with ICTP senior academic and managerial staff.
- In coordination with the Institute Advancement Unit, provide support for fund-raising initiatives involving the Director including, the organisation of internal and external meetings of fund-raising committees. Monitor the progress of implementation and follow-up of the respective fund-raising initiatives
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
Planning and organizing (C)
Results focus (C)
For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
- Completed secondary, technical and/or vocational school.
- Minimum of five (5) years of relevant work experience in the field of administration, office management, programme assistance or related field.
- Sense of integrity, confidentiality, commitment and reliability.
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently under pressure, with minimum supervision, and to sustain limited periods with workload peaks.
- Very good interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Experience taking notes, preparing minutes and summary reports.
- Experience extracting information from various sources, compiling and reporting.
- High level of reliability with a responsive and service-minded attitude.
- Tact and ability to work harmoniously with visitors and staff members of different nationalities and cultural backgrounds.
- Excellent communications skills (oral and written), including excellent drafting skills in English
- Excellent IT skills, with proficiency in Microsoft Office tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.).
- Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of English.
- Experience in an international environment.
- Knowledge of administrative rules and procedures, and standard practices of UNESCO or another organization of the United Nations Common System.
- Knowledge of ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning), preferably SAP (Systems Applications and Products in Data Processing) based.
- Knowledge of Italian.
- Knowledge of another UN official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish).
Only candidates who are entitled to work in the E.U. may apply to this position. Please note that for this position UNESCO will not reimburse expenses such as travel in connection with interviews, tests and relocation.
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For more information in benefits and entitlements, please consult ICSC website.
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.
UNESCO recalls that paramount consideration in the appointment of staff members shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, technical competence and integrity. UNESCO applies a zero-tolerance policy against all forms of harassment. UNESCO is committed to achieving and sustaining equitable and diverse geographical distribution, as well as gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Candidates from non- and under-represented Member States ( last update here) are particularly welcome and strongly encouraged to apply. Individuals from minority groups and indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.