UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
Job Identification : 4484
Locations : Nicosia, Cyprus
Posting Date : 09/12/2022, 12:06 PM
Apply Before : 09/27/2022, 03:59 AM
Job Schedule : Full time
Agency : UNDP
Grade : G7
Vacancy Type : Fixed Term
Practice Area : Management
Bureau : Regional Bureau for Europe and the CIS
Contract Duration : 1 Year with Possibility for extension
Education & Work Experience : Bachelor’s Degree – 4 year(s) experience OR High School certificate- 7 year(s) experience
Required Languages : English, Greek and Turkish
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UNDP in Cyprus works to support the ongoing peace and confidence building process between the communities of Cyprus. Since 2001, the UNDP programme in Cyprus has been delivering mainly EU funded interventions, to support Greek Cypriots and Turkish Cypriots, encouraging dialogue and cooperation, and supporting the development of environmental, economic and social infrastructure on the island.
As such UNDP in Cyprus provides a diverse package of programmatic services to a range of partners which contribute
to building a conducive environment for the peace process. In particular, the implementation of confidence building measures contributes to the building of trust between the two communities while demonstrating to the public at large that the communities can work together on critical issues that are of importance to all inhabitants of Cyprus across three focus areas:
- Empowering communities to protect cultural heritage
- Strengthening inter-communal mechanisms
- Improving environmental, social and economic infrastructure
The purpose of this position is to supervise and to lead the procurement assistants and support staff of the Procurement Unit. Under the overall guidance of the Operations Manager, the Procurement Officer works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and project teams in the office and UNDP HQs staff for resolving complex procurement-related issues and information delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Administration and implementation of operational strategies
- Organization of procurement processes
- Control of office Assets
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
The key results have an impact on the overall office efficiency in procurement and success in implementation of operational strategies. Accurate analysis and presentation of information, well- organized transparent procurement processes ensure client satisfaction and timely delivery of UNDP programmes / projects. The information provided facilitates decision making of the management.
1. Ensures administration and implementation of the operational strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of procurement activities with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies; implementation of the effective internal control, proper functioning of a client-oriented procurement management system.
- Office Procurement business processes mapping and elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in Procurement and Logistics, control of the workflows in the Procurement Unit.
- Elaboration of proposals and implementation of cost saving and reduction strategies in consultation with office management.
- Provision of researched information for formulation and implementation of contract strategy and strategic procurement in the office including tendering processes and evaluation, managing the contract and contractor, legal considerations and payment conditions, sourcing strategy, supplier selection and evaluation, quality management, e-procurement introduction.
2. Organizes procurement processes for office, NEX/DEX projects and at the request of other agencies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Preparation of procurement plans for the office and projects and their implementation monitoring.
- Organization of procurement processes including preparation and conduct of RFQs, ITBs or RFPs, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their evaluation, negotiation of certain conditions of contracts in full compliance with UNDP rules and regulations.
- Review of procurement processes conducted by projects; submissions to the Contract, Asset and Procurement Committee (CAP), Regional Advisory Committee on Procurement (RACP) and Advisory Committee on Procurement (ACP).
- Implementation of the internal control system which ensures that Purchase orders are duly prepared and dispatched. Timely corrective actions on POs with budget check errors and other problems.
- Preparation of contracts for procurement of goods, services and works.
- Quality assurance of contracts awarded (periodic or spot check) to ensure compliance with contract conditions / requirements and highlight issues identified to management.
- Review and quality assurance of the contractual documents drafted by the programme unit.
- Development and update of the rosters of suppliers, elaboration of supplier selection and evaluation criteria, quality and performance measurement mechanisms.
- Implementation of e-procurement tools.
- Implementation of harmonized procurement services, analysis of requirements and elaboration of proposals on common procurement actions for multiple projects.
- Supervise procurement assistants and procurement unit support personnel appointed by the management.
- Maintain centralized filing system for procurement documents including tenders, bid securities and purchase orders.
- Alternate for preparation of Purchase orders in the ERP system Atlas/Quantum, preparation of Recurring Purchase orders for contracting of services, vendors’ creation in Atlas/Quantum.
- Act as Procurement Focal Point of the office.
- Perform buyer profile in the ERP Atlas. Quantum.
3. Ensures proper control of office Assets focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Act as Asset Focal Point of the office.
- Ensuring implementation of asset and inventory physical verification control in the office and projects performed by the physical verification team.
- Ensures transfer of assets to the beneficiaries/grantees.
- Preparation of asset and inventory reports.
4. Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on Procurement.
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in Procurement.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Core Competencies: Achieve Results: LEVEL 2: Scale up solutions and simplifies processes, balances speed and accuracy in doing work
Think Innovatively: LEVEL 2: Offer new ideas/open to new approaches, demonstrate systemic/integrated thinking
Learn Continuously: LEVEL 2: Go outside comfort zone, learn from others and support their learning
Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 2: Adapt processes/approaches to new situations, involve others in change process
Act with Determination: LEVEL 2: Able to persevere and deal with multiple sources of pressure simultaneously
Engage and Partner: LEVEL 2: Is facilitator/integrator, bring people together, build/maintain coalitions/partnerships
Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 2: Facilitate conversations to bridge differences, considers in decision making
Procurement: Procurement management: The ability to acquire goods, services or works from an outside external source.
- Sourcing: Ability to find, evaluate and engage suppliers of goods and services
- Contract management: Knowledge of contract management concepts, principles and methods, and ability to apply this to strategic and/or practical situations
- Supplier/relationship management: Knowledge of supplier management concepts, principles and methods, and ability to apply this to strategic and/or practical situations
- Data Analysis: Ability to extract, analyze and visualize procurement data to form meaningful insights and aid effective business decision making.
- Data management: Knowledge of processing, storing, and validating procurement data
Business Management: Customer Satisfaction/ Client Management: Ability to respond timely and appropriately with a sense of urgency, provide consistent solutions, and deliver timely and quality results and/or solutions to fulfil and understand the real customers’ needs. Provides inputs to the development of customer service strategy
- Look for ways to add value beyond clients’ immediate requests.
- Ability to anticipate client’s upcoming needs and concerns.
Required Skills and Experience
- Completion of Secondary Education is required or
- A University Degree in Business or Public Administration or other related fields will be given due consideration.
- Specialized procurement training is desirable
- Minimum 7 years (Secondary education) or 4 years (Bachelor degree) of progressively responsible procurement and sourcing experience is required at the national or international level.
- Proven experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc), experience in office and collaboration software packages and knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems is required (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneDrive, Teams, Outlook and SharePoint).
- Experience with ERP procurement processes is required preferably with ATLAS/PeopleSoft or QUANTUM/Oracle platforms.
- Knowledge of IPSAS and/or IFRS is desirable.
- Procurement Certification Programme CIPS or any equivalent certification distinct advantage.
- Fluency in English;
- Basic knowledge of both Greek and Turkish is an asset.
- Nationals of Cyprus.
- Valid driving license is required for the use of office cars for the official purposes.
- Non-Smoking environment
Please note that continuance of appointment beyond the initial 12 months is contingent upon the successful completion of a probationary period.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.