European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)
EBRD Warsaw, Poland
Purpose of Job
With a strong emphasis on active business/pipeline development, the Principal Banker is involved in all aspects related to the Bank’s private and listed equity investments in Romania and Bulgaria. Responsibilities include origination, structuring, execution of new investments as well as management and monitoring of the portfolio. The Principal Banker will work with all types of investment instruments offered by the Bank and across a wide range of sectors.
Externally, the Principal Banker is one of the Bank’s primary representatives and shall ensure relationships with the Bank’s counterparties, companies, advisors, co-investors are maintained and expanded in keeping with EBRD’s ethical and professional standards.
The Principal Banker will lead or be part of multi-disciplinary and cross-departmental teams and will need to ensure that that projects are executed, implemented and monitored in line with the procedures, policies and strategies of the Bank. The Principal Banker will act as a member or, as the case may be, the leader of a project team (typically on less complex transactions than an Associate Director /Senior Banker) providing coaching and mentoring assistance to more junior staff.
The Principal Banker will report to the Associate Director, Head Regional Equity Business Development (AD Head Regional Equity BD).
Accountabilities and Responsibilities
Business Development / Origination
Take a proactive role in developing a pipeline of potential equity or quasi-equity transactions in the designated geography in coordination with senior colleagues and sector/country teams.
Assist with the critical screening of project proposal flow that is generated through business development efforts, liaising with other colleagues and teams within the Bank to identify sound and executable investments that meet the mandate of the Bank.
Structuring and Execution
Work as a senior project team member with more experienced operation leaders on complex transactions, contributing to all aspects of project structuring and execution, including supporting the operation leader with the management of the project team;
As a team leader:
- Lead evaluation, structuring, negotiation (including review of legal documentation) and the execution of transactions, working with clients, authorities, consultants and internal units;
- Manage the resources and the work load of the project teams under his/her supervision;
- Oversee the project due diligence process ensuring it meets the Bank’s standards;
- Ensure quality and appropriateness of TC assistance components which support the investments or contribute to policy dialogue initiatives;
Ensure that all transactions within his/her responsibility are completed within the specified time frames to a high standard (including all internal memoranda and Board reports) and in line with the policies, procedures and objectives of the Bank.
Portfolio Monitoring, Value Creation and Reporting
As a senior project team member perform all such tasks as may be assigned by the operation leader and provide constructive portfolio monitoring advice, guidance and supervision to more junior members of the project team.
As a team leader:
- Be responsible for the profitability of the investments made for EBRD (measured using IRR and money multiples), ensuring the company implements an agreed value creation plan, and maximising EBRD’s exit proceeds at an appropriate time
- Take overall responsibility for the effective monitoring of all projects within his/her responsibility, including verifying the quality of regular monitoring reports; taking the lead in maintaining or supervising the management of client relationships; actively managing the resolution of any implementation/monitoring issues in cooperation with relevant Portfolio Managers; managing and supervising more junior bankers who assist in portfolio monitoring;
- Supervise implementation and monitoring of, and reporting on, relevant TC assignments to ensure their compliance with donor reporting requirements, operational objectives and that all reports are of a high quality;
- Take responsibility for ensuring timely notification of any critical portfolio issues to the relevant Portfolio Manager and/or Management, ensuring availability of adequate data and information for the Portfolio Manager and/or Management to be able to take timely decisions.
- Assist in recruiting, training, coaching and mentoring junior bankers, in coordination with the team Director , AD Head Regional Equity BD, Associate Directors/ Senior Bankers, involving them in all aspects of the project cycle (appraisal, execution, implementation, monitoring and business development), ensuring adequate quality of project work and appropriate work load distribution amongst the project team members; contribute to their professional and competency development;
- Develop productive relationships within the organisation to able to work effectively in a country/sector matrix structure and in a multi-cultural working environment.
The responsibilities of the Principal Banker are designed to allow for the development of transaction expertise and expansion of responsibilities, leading to assuming the role of Associate Director/ Senior Banker.
Qualifications & Skills / Experience & Knowledge
Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree. Master’s degree preferred or equivalent experience in the areas of expertise.
- Professional qualification such as ACA, CFA, ACCA, or CIMA desirable.
- Strong quantitative/numerical skills are critical with the ability to interpret financial information and to design and use financial models.
- Strong analysis skills, with the ability to identify drivers of business models, interpret accounts, understanding local and international accounting principles and apply balanced judgement to return assessment and valuation.
- Stakeholder management skills.
- Coaching, mentoring & leadership skills.
- Relationship management and negotiation skills.
- Ability to work to deadlines and under time pressure.
- Computer literacy, conversant with Microsoft Office and spreadsheet packages including financial analysis and modelling modules.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in Polish and English.
- Good command of a Slavic language is an advantage.
Experience & Knowledge:
- Extensive experience in equity or mezzanine investments in Polish covering all aspects of equity process, origination, execution, value creation and exits.
- Previous experience to the Bank’s countries of operations is an advantage.
What is it like to work at the EBRD?
Our agile and innovative approach is what makes life at the EBRD a unique experience! You will be part of a pioneering and diverse international organisation, and use your talents to make a real difference to people’s lives and help shape the future of the regions we invest in.
The EBRD environment provides you with:
- Varied, stimulating and engaging work that gives you an opportunity to interact with a wide range of experts in the financial, political, public and private sectors across the regions we invest in;
- A working culture that embraces inclusion and celebrates diversity;
- An environment that places sustainability, equality and digital transformation at the heart of what we do.
Diversity is one of the Bank’s core values which are at the heart of everything it does. A diverse workforce with the right knowledge and skills enables connection with our clients, brings pioneering ideas, energy and innovation. The EBRD staff is characterised by its rich diversity of nationalities, cultures and opinions and we aim to sustain and build on this strength. As such, the EBRD seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities and works in an inclusive environment. The EBRD encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of the EBRD member countries to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. As an inclusive employer, we promote flexible working.