European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)
Dept. / Bus. Group
VP, Human Resources & Corporate Services
MD IT Office
Posting End Date
Purpose of Job
The Principal, IT Architect is accountable for the delivery of aspects of the Enterprise Reference Architecture and Architecture Practice that support IT for the Bank. These architectures provide strategic guidance to all technology initiatives. The Principal, IT Architect is further accountable for defining the overall architecture and design of IT solutions, working within a team of technical and functional specialists in the elaboration of solutions within the defined architecture.
The role interacts with primarily with all IT teams, but also engages with many of the business functions across the Bank.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities
- Delivers, maintains and communicates aspects of the Enterprise Reference Architecture (ERA), to ensure systems are fit for purpose and meet evolving business requirements.
- Contributes to the Architectural Knowledge Base, to enable a consistent and efficient approach to the retention and re-use of architectural knowledge assets.
- Explain and promote the ERA within IT to develop understanding of strategic architectural priorities and approaches.
- Advises project teams and runs practice groups to ensure stakeholders are kept up to date
- Champion and role model the Bank’s Behavioural Competencies and Corporate Behaviours, ensuring adherence within the team(s) so that the highest standards of integrity and ethical conduct are exhibited at all times.
- Provide technical guidance and advice to projects from an early stage, ensuring they follow an optimal direction from the outset
- Ensure that solutions are technically sound and will function as expected in production. Any operational risks or considerations of the technology solution should be understood and agreed before implementation
- Ensure that solutions are an appropriate balance between short-term delivery needs and medium-term strategic aspirations. All deviations from agreed roadmaps should be explicit and agreed through appropriate governance
- This role is the subject-matter expert for solutions relating to ERP-related solutions. EBRD currently has 9 on-premise SAP systems with their associated technology solutions. This estate will be transformed over the coming years based on EBRD’s business transformation plans and SAP’s deprecation roadmap.
- This role will play a pivotal role in assessing the as-is architecture, defining the target architecture, advising on the roadmap and provide technical guidance for the duration of the transformation. In parallel, opportunities for the technical debt remediation need to be identified to smooth the transformation. During this period business value will continue being delivered by existing teams and SAP architect will be accountable for the technical soundness of the solution during and after transformation.
- This role will work primarily with the capability team for Treasury, Risk and Finance, but will also work with the capability teams covering other aspects of ERP, such as HR.
- Deep technical knowledge of at least on SAP application (preferably SAP ECC v 6) is required. Experience in SAP migration / transformation is highly desirable, preferably to S4HANA.
- Experience working at a relevant software vendor/partner or financial institution would also be advantageous.
Qualifications & Skills / Experience & Knowledge
Education and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree. Masters preferred or equivalent experience in the area of expertise
- Qualification in Enterprise or Solution Architecture.
- Specific specialism certification(s)
Knowledge and Experience
- Extensive experience in solution architecture across a range of platforms and business domains
- Wide-ranging experience of IT projects throughout the implementation lifecycle
- Experience in integration techniques and technologies
- Ability to develop deep business knowledge and offer advice that spans IT and business domains.
- Extensive knowledge of a wide range of contemporary IT platforms, techniques and methodologies
- Experience drafting and presenting solutions to project stakeholders
- Experience of working in a mid-sized corporate environment, successfully aligning solutions appropriately with wider roadmaps, architecture and other initiatives
- Experience as a collaborative team member
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong formal and technical modelling skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information to a wide variety of audiences within IT and projects.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, in particular service orientation, organisational awareness and people empathy.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Ability to operate sensitively in a multicultural environment
What is it like to work at the EBRD?
Our agile and innovative approach is what makes life at the EBRD a unique experience! You will be part of a pioneering and diverse international organisation, and use your talents to make a real difference to people’s lives and help shape the future of the regions we invest in.
The EBRD environment provides you with:
- Varied, stimulating and engaging work that gives you an opportunity to interact with a wide range of experts in the financial, political, public and private sectors across the regions we invest in;
- A working culture that embraces inclusion and celebrates diversity;
- An environment that places sustainability, equality and digital transformation at the heart of what we do.
Diversity is one of the Bank’s core values which are at the heart of everything it does. A diverse workforce with the right knowledge and skills enables connection with our clients, brings pioneering ideas, energy and innovation. The EBRD staff is characterised by its rich diversity of nationalities, cultures and opinions and we aim to sustain and build on this strength. As such, the EBRD seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities and works in an inclusive environment. The EBRD encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of the EBRD member countries to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. As an inclusive employer, we promote flexible working.