European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)
Office of the General Counsel
EBRD’s Office of the General Counsel (OGC) is at the core of EBRD’s mandate to build sustainable and open market economies in the jurisdictions where it operates, ranging from Central and Eastern Europe and the Southern and Eastern Mediterranean to Central Asia. EBRD is a leader in climate finance, including investments in renewables, green bonds and energy efficiency programs, and through its projects works to promote equality of opportunity and support the digital transition.
The Office of the General Counsel handles all legal aspects of EBRD’s lending and investment transactions, provides legal advice for institutional and administrative matters and supports EBRD’s policy development in its region through its legal transition program.
OGC is currently recruiting for a Portfolio Lawyer position within the Banking Operations group. The position will be based in London.
The successful candidate will be offered a three-year fixed-term contract.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities
As a Portfolio Lawyer , you will:
- take the lead on all legal aspects of managing a portfolio of signed transactions, including liaising with Banking teams and clients, managing conditions precedent to disbursement and drafting and negotiating waivers, amendments, notices and consents; and
- provide legal advice with a view to protect EBRD’s interests and comply with EBRD’s internal policies for projects where you are the lawyer in charge.
This job description is not limited to the responsibilities listed and the incumbent may be requested to perform other relevant duties as required by business needs.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience & Qualifications
Candidates are expected to:
- have a law degree from a leading university in their home country and be admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction;
- have at least two years of practicing experience as a lawyer in private practice or comparable working environment;
- be particularly interested in emerging markets work;
- have demonstrated project management skills, the ability to monitor and follow up on many activities concurrently under time constraints and the ability to understand and manage priorities;
- possess excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to explain legal matters and provide guidance in resolving legal issues;
- have an excellent command of the English language, including a demonstrated skill to draft and negotiate legal documents in English. Fluency in an additional language, in particular Russian, French, Turkish or Arabic, would be an asset; and
- be a national of an EBRD member country.
What is it like to work at the EBRD?
Our agile and innovative approach is what makes life at the EBRD a unique experience! You will be part of a pioneering and diverse international organisation, and use your talents to make a real difference to people’s lives and help shape the future of the regions we invest in.
The EBRD environment provides you with:
- Varied, stimulating and engaging work that gives you an opportunity to interact with a wide range of experts in the financial, political, public and private sectors across the regions we invest in;
- A working culture that embraces inclusion and celebrates diversity;
- An environment that places sustainability, equality and digital transformation at the heart of what we do.
Diversity is one of the Bank’s core values which are at the heart of everything it does. A diverse workforce with the right knowledge and skills enables connection with our clients, brings pioneering ideas, energy and innovation. The EBRD staff is characterised by its rich diversity of nationalities, cultures and opinions and we aim to sustain and build on this strength. As such, the EBRD seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities and works in an inclusive environment. The EBRD encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of the EBRD member countries to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. As an inclusive employer, we promote flexible working.