ICRC - International Committee of the Red Cross
ICRC Delegation in Odessa
Please note that the ICRC is not a UN-system organization.
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organization whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance.
The ICRC is mandated to work in countries affected by armed conflict or other situations of violence. The ICRC is present in over 80 countries and has some 19,000-field staff.
In 2014, the ICRC expanded its presence to Ukraine. There are more than 600 ICRC staff working in Kyiv, Dnipro, Poltava, Vinnytsia, Lviv, Donetsk, Luhansk, and Odesa.
The ICRC is looking for an enthusiastic and motivated person to fill the position of Political Advisor in its sub-delegation in Odesa.
Political Adviser advises the sub-delegation on political developments and changes in the overall environment, conflict and security dynamics in the Area of responsibility, which consist of 4 regions (oblast): Mykolayiv, Odesa, Kherson, Kirovohrad. S/he identifies, maintains and broadens high-level relations with key regional stakeholders and facilitates the management’s access to a wide network of contacts.
Functional general responsibilities:
- Advises management and staff on political issues, the conflict and security situation and contributes to defining the sub-delegation’s overall strategies.
- Is aware of the political, security, social and cultural context and its evolution in ODE area of responsibility.
- Develops, maintains and strengthens a relevant network of interlocutors (municipal/district/state authorities, security forces, civil society, other humanitarian actors, etc.). Facilitates management’s access to them.
- Holds briefings on the context and cultural sensitivities for sub-delegation staff (mobiles and residents).
- Writes reports, situation reports, briefing notes and other required documentation to share the results of political and other analyses.
- Regularly summarizes and analyses the general situation in the 4 regions under ODE’s responsibility.
- Update statistics of area covered and generates Sub-Delegation’s reports
- Is aware of other humanitarian organisations’ activities and relations with ICRC
- Assumes an advisory role to Management on matters relating to politics, security and cultural questions
- Reports events and changes within the region that could have an impact on ICRC’s activities and hence provides sound elements to the Sub-Delegation that allow to establish objectives and priorities
- Verifies and channels information on general/security events published in various media (newspapers, internet, etc.) by searching alternative sources of information
- Presents the ICRC principles, mandate and activities to interlocutors and beneficiaries.
- Provides adequate support to the departments of the Sub-Delegation when necessary (advices, information, security, participation in field trips, etc.)
- Translates institutional documents
- Represents the ICRC in an appropriate way during activities, in meetings and in the field, and avoids any activity that may reflect negatively on the ICRC’s image
The tasks and responsibilities defined above are not exhaustive and can evolve depending on organizational needs.
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- High Education (University or Institute)
- 4-6 years work experience in a similar field of activity
- Very good knowledge of spoken and written English and local languages
- Very good computer literacy
- Good rigor, method and analytical skills
- Strong knowledge of the political, social and cultural assigned environment
Social package and other benefits
- Official employment according to Ukrainian labour law
- Annual paid 28 calendar days’ vacation
- Medical insurance for employees and family
- ICRC Institutional training
- Individual development covered by ICRC
- foreign language courses
- Convenient office location in the city centre
Starting date: ASAP
How to apply
Please submit your CV, along with your motivation letter in English and salary expectations to the attention of the Human Resources Department.
Application deadline: 26/10/2022
Only candidates meeting the above-mentioned criteria will be considered and contacted for tests and/or interviews. No inquiries by phone, please.
ICRC is Equal Opportunity Employer giving the highest priority to staff safety and security.
For more information, visit the website: (link)