WHO - World Health Organization
OBJECTIVE OF THE OFFICE/DEPARTMENT
This is a requisition for employment at the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)/Regional Office of the World Health Organization (WHO)
Contractual Agreement: Non-Staff – International PAHO Consultant
Job Posting: November 7, 2022
Closing Date: November 23, 2022, 11:59 PM Eastern Time
Primary Location: Off Site
Organization: CPI Country Health Emergency Preparedness and IHR
Schedule: Full time
PURPOSE OF CONSULTANCY
Objectives of the Department The Health Emergencies Department (PHE) of the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO/WHO) aims to increase health sector resilience to emergencies and disasters. PHE assists the Member States in strengthening the health sector’s capacities in prevention, reduction, preparedness, surveillance, response, and early recovery for emergencies and disasters related to any hazards (natural, artificial, biological, chemical, radiological, and others) and, when national capacities are overwhelmed, to lead and coordinate the international health response to contain disasters, including outbreaks, and to provide adequate relief and recovery to affected populations. PHE is responsible for ensuring the implementation and updating of the PAHO/WHO Institutional Emergency and Disaster Response Policy.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
Under the general supervision of the CPI Unit Chief and direct supervision of the Regional Advisor on Emergency Preparedness and Disaster Reduction, the incumbent is responsible for, but not limited to, the following assigned duties:
- Development of a Resilient Hospitals training materials and course.
- Support the update of at least two existing on Hospital preparedness for the use of national health authorities.
- Support the Regional Advisor on Emergency Preparedness and DRR in providing technical advice and guidance to the Member States related to Multi-hazard Response Planning (including COVID-19 response).
- Development of an online and on-site training course on “Expansion of Hospital Capacities” and support at least four countries of the Region.
- Support Staff on the Hospital Risk Assessment training course and support at least six countries on this matter.
- Develop a simulation exercise on “Evacuation in Hospitals” and provide support on this matter to PAHO Staff in at least six countries.
- Support the all-hazards mapping, vulnerabilities, and capacities in the health sector
- Provide technical guidance and expertise to countries to prepare and update multisectoral national plans for emergency risk management with a multi-hazard approach
- Support the development of meetings and technical sessions.
- Other duties assigned by the supervisor.
Education requirements (Qualifications)
Essential: A university degree in health sciences or a related field from a recognized institution and a master’s degree in public health or a related field from a recognized institution.
Desirable: An advanced degree (Specialist, Master’s, or Ph.D.) in health emergency and disaster risk management would be an asset.
Essential: At least nine years of national and international experience in health Disaster Risk Management
Desirable: Three years of continuous working experience in Health Disaster Risk Management within the U.N. system. The development of tools and documents on health emergency preparedness and disaster risk reduction will be an asset.
Excellent knowledge of English or Spanish with a working knowledge of the other language. Working knowledge of French or Portuguese would be an asset.
The incumbent will be expected to perform this position’s duties and responsibilities remotely.
Expected contract duration
One year, with the possibility for extension subject to performance and funding.
This consultancy is expected to be on a full-time basis. During the duration of this contract, the candidate should not have a working relationship with any public or private entity public or private.
- This vacancy notice may be used to identify candidates for other similar consultancies at the same level.
- Successful candidates will be placed on the roster and subsequently may be selected for consultancy assignments falling in this area of work or for similar requirements/tasks/deliverables. Inclusion in the Roster does not guarantee selection to a consultant contract. There is no commitment on either side.
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- All applicants are required to complete an on-line profile to be considered for this consultancy. For assessment of your application, please ensure that your profile in Stellis is updated; all experience records are entered with elaboration on tasks performed at the time. Kindly note that CV/PHFs inserted via LinkedIn are no accessible.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- If your candidature is retained for interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. PAHO/WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: (link) PAHO will also use the databases of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (link) and College Navigator, found on the website of the National Centre for Educational Statistics, (link) to support the validation process. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to PAHO/WHO Regulations, and e-Manual.
- For information on PAHO please visit: (link)
- PAHO/WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- PAHO is an ethical organization that maintains high standards of integrity and accountability. People joining PAHO are required to maintain these standards both in their professional work and personal activities.
- PAHO also promotes a work environment that is free from harassment, sexual harassment, discrimination, and other types of abusive behavior. PAHO conducts background checks and will not hire anyone who has a substantiated history of abusive conduct.
- PAHO personnel interact frequently with people in the communities we serve. To protect these people, PAHO has zero tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse. People who commit serious wrongdoing will be terminated and may also face criminal prosecution.
- PAHO/WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- Applications from women and from nationals of non and underrepresented Member States are particularly encouraged.
- Consultants shall perform the work as independent contractors in a personal capacity, and not as a representative of any entity or authority. The execution of the work under a consultant contract does not create an employer/employee relationship between PAHO and the Consultant.
- PAHO/WHO shall have no responsibility whatsoever for any taxes, duties, social security contributions or other contributions payable by the Consultant. The Consultant shall be solely responsible for withholding and paying any taxes, duties, social security contributions and any other contributions which are applicable to the Consultant in each location/jurisdiction in which the work hereunder is performed, and the Consultant shall not be entitled to any reimbursement thereof by PAHO/WHO.