World Health Organization (WHO)
OBJECTIVE OF THE OFFICE/DEPARTMENT
This is a requisition for employment at the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)/Regional Office of the World Health Organization (WHO)
Contractual Agreement: Non-Staff – International PAHO Consultant
Job Posting: October 11, 2022
Closing Date: October 19, 2022, 11:59 PM Eastern Time
Primary Location: Off Site
Organization: EMO Emergency Operations
Schedule: Full time
PURPOSE OF CONSULTANCY
This requisition is for a consultancy at the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)/Regional Office of the World Health Organization (WHO)
Objectives of the Department
The objective of the Health Emergencies Department (PHE) of the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO/WHO) is to increase health sector resilience to emergencies and disasters. PHE assists Member States to strengthen the health sector’s capacities in prevention, risk reduction, preparedness, surveillance, response, and early recovery for emergencies and disasters related to any hazards (natural, man-made, biological, chemical, radiological and others) and, when national capacities are overwhelmed, to lead and coordinate the international health response to contain disasters, including outbreaks, and to provide effective relief and recovery to affected populations. PHE is responsible for ensuring the implementation and updating of the PAHO/WHO Institutional Emergency and Disaster Response Policy.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
Under the direct supervision of the Incident Manager del Incident Management System Team (IMST) for the Haiti Cholera Emergency the incumbent is responsible for, but not necessarily limited to, the following assigned duties:
- 1. Identify, collect, compile, and maintain updated strategic data and information relevant to the Cholera outbreak in Haiti and the PAHO emergency response, liaising with stakeholders from within the Organization, UN agencies, and partners; propose and maintain systems and processes to facilitate information management on behalf of the IMST.
- 2. Contribute to the preparation and updating of situation reports and ad hoc reports on initiatives, projects, action plans, and response efforts for internal and external dissemination; compile information and draft written outputs using information from a variety of sources for dissemination to different stakeholders (such as donors, partners, and the general public) within short timeframes in support of humanitarian coordination, resource mobilization, and other needs.
- 3. Collaborate in the development and periodic updating of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for the Cholera response, with a focus on information management.
- 4. Support the experts of the IMST in the development and implementation of methodologies for updating guidelines, technical documents, and preparation of technical materials.
- 5. Support cholera emergency operations, with a focus on communications, information management and develop information products, lessons learned, and data to be used for documents for mobilization of resources.
- 6. Perform other related duties, as assigned, including replacing and backstopping for others as required.
Essential: Three to five years of combined national and international experience working in information management, project management, business administration in emergency response projects. Demonstrated experience in the health sector for non-profit organizations and/or the United Nations. Experience in research, analysis, and synthesis of quantitative and qualitative information, and providing support creating, updating, and reviewing reports and technical documents for reporting and resource mobilization in emergency situations.
Desirable: Experience working with international organizations in emergency response programmes would be an asset.
Excellent written and spoken English and Spanish. Working knowledge of French or Portuguese would be an asset.
Additional skills Demonstrated ability to effectively use current technology and software, spreadsheets, and presentations, as well as Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) and management information systems. Other IT skills and knowledge of software programs such as Microsoft Excel, Outlook, OneDrive, PowerPoint, Teams, SharePoint, and Word are considered essential.
The incumbent will be expected to perform this position’s duties and responsibilities remotely.
Expected contract duration
Start date: As soon as possible. Duration: 3 months with possibility for extension subject to performance and funding. This consultancy is expected to entail a full-time commitment.
Remuneration: Band A (P1/P2 level).
The application must include:
Cover letter and most up to date CV.
- This vacancy notice may be used to identify candidates for other similar consultancies at the same level.
- Successful candidates will be placed on the roster and subsequently may be selected for consultancy assignments falling in this area of work or for similar requirements/tasks/deliverables. Inclusion in the Roster does not guarantee selection to a consultant contract. There is no commitment on either side.
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- All applicants are required to complete an on-line profile to be considered for this consultancy. For assessment of your application, please ensure that your profile in Stellis is updated; all experience records are entered with elaboration on tasks performed at the time. Kindly note that CV/PHFs inserted via LinkedIn are no accessible.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- If your candidature is retained for interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. PAHO/WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: (link) PAHO will also use the databases of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (link) and College Navigator, found on the website of the National Centre for Educational Statistics, (link) to support the validation process. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to PAHO/WHO Regulations, and e-Manual.
- For information on PAHO please visit: (link)
- PAHO/WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- PAHO is an ethical organization that maintains high standards of integrity and accountability. People joining PAHO are required to maintain these standards both in their professional work and personal activities.
- PAHO also promotes a work environment that is free from harassment, sexual harassment, discrimination, and other types of abusive behavior. PAHO conducts background checks and will not hire anyone who has a substantiated history of abusive conduct.
- PAHO personnel interact frequently with people in the communities we serve. To protect these people, PAHO has zero tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse. People who commit serious wrongdoing will be terminated and may also face criminal prosecution.
- PAHO/WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- Applications from women and from nationals of non and underrepresented Member States are particularly encouraged.
- Consultants shall perform the work as independent contractors in a personal capacity, and not as a representative of any entity or authority. The execution of the work under a consultant contract does not create an employer/employee relationship between PAHO and the Consultant.
- PAHO/WHO shall have no responsibility whatsoever for any taxes, duties, social security contributions or other contributions payable by the Consultant. The Consultant shall be solely responsible for withholding and paying any taxes, duties, social security contributions and any other contributions which are applicable to the Consultant in each location/jurisdiction in which the work hereunder is performed, and the Consultant shall not be entitled to any reimbursement thereof by PAHO/WHO.