World Health Organization (WHO)
OBJECTIVE OF THE OFFICE/DEPARTMENT
This is a requisition for employment at the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)/Regional Office of the World Health Organization (WHO)
Contractual Agreement: Non-Staff – International PAHO Consultant
Job Posting: August 8, 2022
Closing Date: August 14, 2022, 11:59 PM Eastern Time
Primary Location: Off Site
Organization: EIH Evidence and Intelligence for Action in Health
Schedule: Full time
PURPOSE OF CONSULTANCY
A PAHO Consultant may be engaged on a full-time or part-time basis for the purpose of performing a specific time-limited piece of work for PAHO in a technical advisory capacity or consultative capacity. Examples of the type of work for which a consultant contract should normally be issued are: analysis and advice on public health, medical, scientific or other health and related technical issues in countries, including the analysis of the national health situation, evaluation of national health programs, the establishment of local alliances and networks; direct technical assistance to address a particular health issue in countries (including disease outbreaks, response to emergencies, specialized training, research, development of policies, norms and protocols, etc.
Internationally-hired consultant: An internationally-hired consultant is a person who is not living or residing in the country and who has been hired from outside the country where the work is to be performed. The work performed by internationally-hired consultants is regional or subregional in scope (not country specific). An international consultant will normally be hired for periods not exceeding a continuous duration of up to one (1) year, renewable for a second period of up to one (1) year, for the same tasks as described in the ToRs, within the same work plan and/or project. Upon completion of a series of continuous contracts that equal 24 months in duration.
Pay Band A-Junior level covers junior level consultants at a level equivalent to the P.1 and P.2 levels for tasks that require professional level skills but not necessarily extensive practical experience.
…Hiring managers will be responsible for reviewing the consultant contract and for ensuring that: the services to be rendered match the criteria of the type of services to be provided by the consultant pursuant to the Consultant Policy; and that decisions on contracting and all other matters of substance are taken in accordance with policy provisions…
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
The consultant on Content Development for Knowledge Topics will support EIH-KM in the organization, monitoring, and dissemination of the Knowledge Topics for the Health in the Americas (HIA) platform.
The consultant will be responsible to support documenting the process used to assess and identify the information resources and tools for each topic, as well as validate with the respective entities within the Organization and run proof of concepts to ensure all the functionalities work as expected.
Under the Knowledge Management Project, the consultant is expected to deliver the following:
- Prepare a comprehensive methodology with a workflow to be used for the Knowledge Topics (template). It must consider a detailed-oriented documentation of each information source to be harvested, validation process with respective entities and focal point(s) and recommended update periodicity.
- Participate in daily/weekly meetings and initiatives as required by the Knowledge Management Team Leader and EIH Department Director.
Qualification requirements of the consultant: Education: Essential: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in knowledge management or library sciences; but also, in public health, human resources or international relations. Master’s degree on the above-mentioned fields of expertise could be an asset.
Languages: Essential: Very good knowledge of English or Spanish with a working knowledge of the other language. Knowledge of Portuguese and/or French would be an asset.
Years of relevant experience: Essential: Minimum of four years of previous professional experience in a similar position. National and/or international experience in development and implementation of content development, architecture of information for websites and/or digital libraries. Experience on using and searching information on scientific, bibliographic databases and/or specialized websites preferably in Public Health. Attention to details and organizational skills. Solid writing/editing skills on technical and executive documents, oral communication, Internet, and knowledge of online meeting tools.
Previous experience with projects on Information Management in Public Health would be an asset.
Pay rate: Minimum: $3,600 per month
Maximum: $3,900 per month
Contract duration: 20 August – 31 December 2022
- This vacancy notice may be used to identify candidates for other similar consultancies at the same level.
- Successful candidates will be placed on the roster and subsequently may be selected for consultancy assignments falling in this area of work or for similar requirements/tasks/deliverables. Inclusion in the Roster does not guarantee selection to a consultant contract. There is no commitment on either side.
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- All applicants are required to complete an on-line profile to be considered for this consultancy. For assessment of your application, please ensure that your profile in Stellis is updated; all experience records are entered with elaboration on tasks performed at the time. Kindly note that CV/PHFs inserted via LinkedIn are no accessible.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- If your candidature is retained for interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. PAHO/WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: (link) PAHO will also use the databases of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (link) and College Navigator, found on the website of the National Centre for Educational Statistics, (link) to support the validation process. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to PAHO/WHO Regulations, and e-Manual.
- For information on PAHO please visit: (link)
- PAHO/WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- PAHO is an ethical organization that maintains high standards of integrity and accountability. People joining PAHO are required to maintain these standards both in their professional work and personal activities.
- PAHO also promotes a work environment that is free from harassment, sexual harassment, discrimination, and other types of abusive behavior. PAHO conducts background checks and will not hire anyone who has a substantiated history of abusive conduct.
- PAHO personnel interact frequently with people in the communities we serve. To protect these people, PAHO has zero tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse. People who commit serious wrongdoing will be terminated and may also face criminal prosecution.
- PAHO/WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- Applications from women and from nationals of non and underrepresented Member States are particularly encouraged.
- Consultants shall perform the work as independent contractors in a personal capacity, and not as a representative of any entity or authority. The execution of the work under a consultant contract does not create an employer/employee relationship between PAHO and the Consultant.
- PAHO/WHO shall have no responsibility whatsoever for any taxes, duties, social security contributions or other contributions payable by the Consultant. The Consultant shall be solely responsible for withholding and paying any taxes, duties, social security contributions and any other contributions which are applicable to the Consultant in each location/jurisdiction in which the work hereunder is performed, and the Consultant shall not be entitled to any reimbursement thereof by PAHO/WHO.