United Nations World Food Programme (WFP)
OSH Cority Specialist
TYPE OF CONTRACT:
Regular Consultancy level II
DUTY STATION (City, Country):
11 months (with opportunity to extend)
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
WFP has the opportunity and the obligation to leverage data and technology to better ensure the environments where team members live, and work are adhering to Occupational Safety and Health standards. In March 2015 the United Nations High-Level Committee on Management (HLCM) approved the Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) Framework – United Nations Common System. This Framework gives effect to the request of the HLCM for developing OSH Policy in the UN System while describing common principles for an Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) management system and facilitating the adoption of an OSH programmes across the UN Agencies, Programmes and Funds.
WFP is committed to implementing its OSH Risk Management System across all WFP operations with the main objectives of:
- reducing the incidence of work-related injuries and ill-health and to limit their severity and impact;
- improving the physical and mental well-being of staff members;
- establishing defined workplace safety and health rights, responsibilities and duties;
- establishing and updating, when necessary, occupational safety and health standards and guidance;
- providing an accurate representation of workplace incidents, injuries and illnesses;
- integrating safety, health and well-being considerations into organizational processes and decision-making;
- ensuring that staff receive training and support related to workplace safety, health and well-being.
The OSH Cority Specialist will have a key role during the OSH management system global implementation phase and subsequent continuous improvement cycles regarding OSH incident reporting and incident investigation/FFP (Fact-Finding Process) systems.
This position, based in HQ, will report directly to the OSH Risk Manager and will be responsible for the following: ACCOUNTABILITIES/RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Act as nexus between WFP OSH branch and the OSH platform team (third-party/ provider), assuring WFP OSH requirements are covered by the reporting platform, any technical issue is promptly and efficiently addressed, and the implementation/upgrade schedule is followed up.
- Develop and provide trainings and technical assistance to Occupational Safety Reporting Solution’s users and OSH Focal Points worldwide.
- Keep up to date reporting procedures, forms, flowcharts and instructions as required.
- Ensure that incidents/accident reports are correctly uploaded into the system.
- Monitor and collaborate with HQ and Field staff during the reporting process, providing necessary assistance to reduce deviations and delays in reporting process.
- Depending on the case, conduct or assist with OSH Incident/Accident Investigations (FFP), from the RCA to the CAPA implementation.
- Manage OSH alerts, “lessons learned” database, feedback to OSH risk register, incident/accident database, and CA/PA/OI database (Corrective Actions/Preventive Actions/Opportunities for Improvements), ensuring these databases are up to date.
- CA/PA/OI Action Plan follow-up, registering deviations and implementing corrective measures when possible.
- Develop, update and maintain up-to-date OSH incidents/accidents indicators and KPI’s – OSH dashboard.
- Develop and keep up-to-date OSH files database, records and archiving of WFP OSH related documents, register, information and data.
- Work in close collaboration with Reporting Platform technical team on implementing OSH mobile app and train users worldwide.
- Liaise closely with all OSH Field Focal Points in order to gather and collate accurate data about OSH activities and incidents.
- Consolidate and analyse data on programme implementation and indicators (e.g. health, safety, reporting incidents accurately) in order to facilitate the preparation of periodic reports, activity-specific reports, as required.
- Prepare information as required for engaged stakeholders.
- Draft and/or check reports.
- Others related, as required.
This OSH Cority Specialist will require frequent travel to WFP field locations worldwide with short notice, mainly to conduct/assist with FFPs, provide trainings, help staff with regard to Occupational Safety Reporting Solution.
DELIVERABLES AT THE END OF THE CONTRACT:
- Full implementation of a Global Reporting Solution within all WFP locations.
- Identified Focal Points and relevant stakeholders fully trained in incident/accident reporting.
- Fully functional OSH database in place.
- OSH SOPs, technical guidelines and OSH training material fully developed/updated accordingly.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Advanced degree in occupational health & safety, engineering or equivalent work experience in Engineering – or other, related field.
- Minimum 5+ years’ experience in OHS/EHS management, operations function supporting EHS/OSH working for large multinational companies.
- At least 3+ years of experience in Occupational Safety and Health Incident Investigation processes according to international recognized methodologies, including use of OSH platform/software, with hands-on as well as management skills across the full application and systems lifecycle. Good knowledge of different methods is required (Loss Causation Model, SCAT, ICAM).
- Technical knowledge of project management and applying them for delivering successful organizational change.
- Ability to lead actions during specification, development and implementation of a system targeting Occupational Safety and Health.
- Experience in working in and directing global teams working across multiple countries and time zones.
- Experience in developing and providing topic-relevant trainings to a variety of audiences.
- Experience in working in a fast-paced and demanding team.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Proven ability to adapt to changing priorities, maintaining consistent project quality and delivering it within budget and deadlines.
- Results Driven. Ability to meet OSH goals and stakeholder expectations. Inherent to this is the ability to make decisions that lead to high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analysing problems.
- Attention to details.
- Self-motivated person.
- Comfortable in an international environment with a very diverse workforce.
- Ability to work independently and under pressure with a high-level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Functional experience and knowledge with CORITY, is strongly desirable.
- Fluency in written, spoken, and oral comprehension in English.
- Working knowledge of Arabic, French, Spanish is a strong asset.