UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
Job Identification : 5810
Locations : Chisinau, Moldova
Posting Date : 09/09/2022, 01:40 PM
Apply Before : 09/24/2022, 03:59 AM
Job Schedule : Full time
Agency : UNDP
Grade : NOC
Vacancy Type : Fixed Term
Practice Area : Management
Bureau : Regional Bureau for Europe and the CIS
Contract Duration : 1 Year with Possibility for extension
Education & Work Experience : Master’s Degree – 5 year(s) experience
Required Languages : English, Romanian and Russian
Mobility required/no mobility
no mobility required
The Republic of Moldova is a middle-income country with European aspirations, in a rapidly changing environment and volatile context namely with the Ukraine armed conflict. As the operational backbone for UN system in Moldova, UNDP operations have been instrumental in supporting specialized humanitarian agencies and delivering immediate response to emerging needs during the time of crisis such as the COVID19 pandemic and the Ukrainian refugees crisis in addition to contributing to the emergency preparedness activities aiming at staff safety and security.
In this context, UNDP seeks to offer innovative development and business solutions to the Government, including innovations in programme implementation support services and national capacity development support for effective business operations.
The Operations Manager works under the guidance and supervision of the Deputy Resident Representative, acts as an advisor to Senior Management on all aspects of Country Office (CO) management and operations and leads strategic planning for UNDP operations. This includes strategic financial and human resources management, efficient procurement and logistical services, ICT and common services consistent with UNDP rules and regulations. The main role is to lead the operations, ensuring smooth functioning of the CO/programmes/projects operations, consistent and high-level services delivery and constant evaluation and readjustment of the operations to take into account changes in the operating environment as and when needed.
The Operations Manager ensures integration of operations in programming, a client-oriented approach to operations service delivery, coordinates support to national implementation and operations capacity development, and supports partnership building and external negotiations with Government on programme implementation and resource mobilization.
The Operations Manager facilitates and coordinates the process of integration and simplification of UN business practices at the country level, including enhancing quality of existing common services, and developing solutions for integrated service delivery of back-office services (HR, finance, procurement and ICT).
The Operations Manager leads and guides the Country Office (CO) Operations Team and fosters collaboration within the team, with programme staff and with other UN Agencies. The Operations Manager ensures a client-oriented approach and consistency with UNDP rules and regulations and good management practice. The Operations Manager works in close collaboration with programme and project teams in the CO, operations staff in other UN Agencies, UNDP HQs staff and Government officials, multilateral and bilateral donors to successfully deliver operations services.
KEY DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
In this section list up to five primary functions/accountabilities of the position (Typically one sentence each) and examples of duties that must be performed to successfully accomplish key responsibilities.
Strategic direction of operations and streamlining of business practices
- Full compliance of operations with UN/UNDP rules, regulations and policies, implementation of corporate operational strategies, establishment of management targets and monitoring of achievement of results.
- CO business processes mapping, maintenance of the Internal Control Framework (ICF) and establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in Finance, Human Resources Management, Procurement, Logistical and ICT services.
- Constant monitoring and analysis of the operating environment, timely readjustment of the operations, advice on legal considerations and risk assessment.
- Development of a sound and regularly updated Business Continuity Plan (BCP).
- Knowledge building and sharing with regards to management and operations in the CO, organization of the operations staff trainings, synthesis of lessons learnt/best practices, and sound contributions to UNDP knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Overall management of the CO Operations Unit, including regular work planning for the Unit, allocation of tasks and responsibilities among Unit members, overall monitoring and reporting on Unit’s activity.
Supervision of Operations multidisciplinary team: Finance, HR, Procurement and ICT and management of resources
- Proper planning, expenditure tracking and audit of CO financial resources, including extra-budgetary income in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations.
- Acting as Project Manager for all management projects ensuring efficient planning and use of resources.
- Proper management of the contribution’s administration and accounting for contributions to ensure that the money due to UNDP are properly identified, consistently and uniformly classified, recorded on a timely basis and received with sufficient supporting documentation.
- Performance of Manager Level 2 role in Atlas for voucher and Treasury transactions approvals. Member of bank signatory panel.
- Organization of cost-recovery mechanisms for CO services provided to projects and UN Agencies, monitoring and reporting on the status of direct project costs (DPC) and cost-recovery.
- Organization and oversight of CO cash management processes, including liquidity management, recommendation of impress level, risk assessment, bank relationship management; timely accounting and reconciliation of all transactions, security for cash assets on site.
- Monitoring of CO financial performance dashboard indicators and financial exception reports for unusual activities, transactions and investigation of anomalies or unusual transactions. Provision of information to supervisors and other UNDP staff at HQ of the results of the investigation when satisfactory answers are not obtained.
- All financial transactions are identified, recorded and verified in compliance with IPSAS as outlined in the corporate policies and procedures.
- CO compliance with corporate human resources policies and strategies.
- Advice to CO Senior Management on optimal staffing of the office and projects.
- Oversight of recruitment processes in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations, respecting diversity and gender equality principles.
- Appropriate use of different contractual modalities, contracts management.
- Establishment and maintenance of the proper performance management and staff development systems.
- CO compliance with corporate rules and regulations in the field and elaboration of the CO procurement strategies including sourcing strategy, supplier selection and evaluation, quality management, customer relationship management, e-procurement promotion and introduction, performance measurement.
- Elaboration of the CO contract strategy including tendering processes and evaluation, managing the contract and contractor, legal implications. Oversight of procurement processes and logistical services in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations, acting as Manager Level 2 in Atlas for Purchase Orders approvals and contracts’ signatures in line with ICF.
- Proper management of UNDP assets, facilities and logistical services, including full compliance with IPSAS in the accounting for the procurement, utilization and disposal of the CO’s assets.
- Use of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) System functionality for improved business results and client services.
- Identification of opportunities and ways of converting business processes into automated/electronic systems for efficiency and full accountability.
- Maintenance of a secure, reliable infrastructure environment for ICT and adequate planning for disasters and recoveries.
- Identification and promotion of corporate systems and applications and development of in-house e-tools for optimal content management, knowledge sharing, information provision and learning.
Effective strategic direction of programme finance management
- Proper management of programme finances and advice to CO Senior Management on strategies and plans affecting programme finance management, programme delivery and GMS/cost-recovery and yearly institutional budgets planning
- Guidance and advice to national implementing partners on NIM procedures, HACT implementation, reporting and budgetary matters.
- Continuous analysis and monitoring of the financial situation, presentation of forecasts for development projects
- Advice to Programme and Project Staff on different donor reporting requirements; monitoring of financial reports to be submitted to donors.
- Participation in projects’ audit and verifications, control on the follow up actions.
Reliable and cost-effective common services organization and management, and development of solutions for integrated service delivery : UNDP services to UN Agencies:
- Establishment and revision of the framework for provision of reliable services to UN Agencies (including Service Level Agreements (SLAs)), in full compliance with UNDP rules and procedures.
- Overseeing the effective provision of services including financial, human resources, procurement and logistics, reviews with UN counterparts service requirements. Ensures that the work is performed in accordance with all relevant UN Rules and Regulations and other established guidelines for the respective areas, including minimum service level agreements and other quality indicators.
- Establishing of the mechanisms for monitoring, charging of and reporting on the cost-recovery from UN Agencies.
UNDP contribution to reliable and cost-effective UN Common Services:
- Management of the Common Service Account for administration of the shared premises service in coordination with all UN House Agencies and development of new common services.
- Development and update of Standard Operating Procedures for UN House administration.
- Proper planning and tracking of common services budget and of Agencies’ contributions to the common services account.
- Ensures UNDP contribution to establishment of common services, maintenance of coordinating machinery to ensure integrated activities on common services and implementation of the UN reform.
- Elaboration of the strategic approach for implementation of common services in line with the latest developments in common services and the best practices, ensuring added-value for UNDP and UN contracts on travel and other common services
- Liaison with Government department, UN Agencies and HQs on common services issues.
Development of solutions for integrated service delivery:
- UNDP contribution to development and implementation of the UN Moldova Business Operations Strategy, including preparation of cost benefit and feasibility assessments to focus the design of additional and integrated common services.
- Advice to UN Resident Coordinator (RC) and Operations Management Team (OMT), on development of new integrated Common Services to reduce transaction cost and lead to effectiveness gains of UN Business Operations in a Delivering as One context.
Coordination of forward-looking partnerships on operations, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Representing UNDP in OMT and leads selected inter-agency operations meetings/teams, ensuring smooth cooperation between agencies on joint undertakings and Delivering as One.
- Advocating for UNDP services and delivery capacities with government counterparts, donor community, international financial institutions and the UN.
- Negotiation of agreements and cooperative arrangements with the Government counterparts, donor community, international financial institutions and UN Agencies.
- Establishment of collaborate arrangements with potential partners, a client relationship management system for resource mobilization purposes and appropriate operational partnership arrangements.
- Training of operations staff of UNDP and other UN Agencies, as well as projects on efficient operations and harmonized business practices.
Organization of security of UNDP staff and premises
- Acting as UNDP Security Focal Point.
- Ensure implementation of UNDP Minimum Operating Security Standards (MOSS) compliance and management of the security funds.
- Effective implementation of UNDSS guidelines for MOSS compliance as relating to UN House premises.
- Actively participating in emergency preparedness in the country in collaboration with UNDSS and Crises Management Team (CMT) as per the UNDSS Critical Incident Stress Management Unit (CISMU) standard operational procedures on critical incidents.
Development of operations service line and capacity building for national implementation
- New and innovative approaches and measures to further enhance UNDP service delivery capacities and approach, professional management and cost effectiveness.
- Co-ordinate delivery of demand-driven service delivery to national implementing partners and programmes ensuring professionalism in support – e.g. timelines, responsiveness, quality in deliverables.
- Technical guidance and operational support to implementing partners to enhance performance and quality assurance.
- Development, establishment and management of UNDP operations service line, including capacity development programme for national implementation and business operations.
- Works closely with the Programme Team to integrate capacity building for effective national implementation and operations into programming.
- Supervising Operations Team
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance, Economics or related field.
- A completed Bachelors’ degree (University) with two additional years of relevant work experience may be also considered.
Experience, Knowledge, and Skills
- 5 years of relevant experience with a public and/or private organization at the national or international level in providing management advisory services, programme implementation support services and operational systems. Experience in managing cooperation among international organizations and/or national governments is an advantage.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in people management, managing a multidisciplinary team.
- Computer literacy and experience in the usage office software packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems and ERP systems, preferably PeopleSoft.
- Experience with accrual accounting, International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) or International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) is highly desirable.
- Experience with UN or public procurement is a strong advantage
- Proficiency in English, Romanian and Russian.
- Working knowledge of other UN language desirable.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 3: Set and align challenging, achievable objectives for multiple projects, have lasting impact
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 3: Proactively mitigate potential risks, develop new ideas to solve complex problems
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 3: Create and act on opportunities to expand horizons, diversify experiences
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 3: Proactively initiate and champion change, manage multiple competing demands
- Act with Determination LEVEL 3: Think beyond immediate task/barriers and take action to achieve greater results
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 3: Political savvy, navigate complex landscape, champion inter-agency collaboration
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 3: Appreciate benefits of diverse workforce and champion inclusivity
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
- Business Direction and Strategy: Strategic Thinking: Ability to develop effective strategies and prioritized plans in line with UNDP’s objectives, based on the systemic analysis of challenges, potential risks and opportunities, linking the vision to reality on the ground, and creating tangible solutions. Ability to leverage learning from a variety of sources to anticipate and respond to future trends; to demonstrate foresight in order to model what future developments and possible ways forward look like for UNDP
- Business Direction and Strategy: Business Acumen: Ability to understand and deal with a business situation in a manner that is likely to lead to a good outcome. Knowledge and understanding of the operational frameworks in the organization and ability to make good judgments and quick decisions within such frameworks
- Business Management Operations Management: Ability to effectively plan, organize, and oversee the Organization’s business processes in order to convert its assets into the best results in the most efficient manner. Knowledge of relevant concepts and mechanisms
- Business Management Resource Management: Ability to allocate and use resources in a strategic and tactical way in line with principles of accountability and integrity
- Business Management Result-based Management: Ability to manage programmes and projects with a focus at improved performance and demonstrable results
- Business Management Digital Awareness and Literacy: Ability and inclination to rapidly adopt new technologies, either through skillfully grasping their usage or through understanding their impact and empowering others to use them as needed
- Operations: Administration, Finance, HR, Procurement, IT and Security Audit Risk Management Ability to address audit issues raised in the course of an audit and propose solutions in order to ensure a true and fair audit opinion is achieved
- Candidates selected pursuant to this vacancy may be subject to UNDP’s policy on Probation upon assignment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
- Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
- The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web