Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Job Requisition Type: Evergreen (Formerly known as talent pools, in order to have a balanced number of ready-to-hire candidates who can be deployed at short notice to a vacancy that best matches their skills. Evergreens are primarily used to fill Temporary Appointments.)
Call for applications – Operations Data Management Officer, P3: Location: Various location
Why should you join us?: UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, takes the lead in protecting people forced to flee wars and persecution around the world, providing life-saving aid including shelter, food and water to ensure their basic safety, rights and dignity. With 18,879 women and men working in 137 countries, we work tirelessly to make a difference in the lives of 89.3 million forcibly displaced people worldwide.: Our dedicated and professional staff work around the clock in roles including legal protection, community services, public affairs, health and more. Despite the challenges they can face, our staff are proud to work for UNHCR and determined to make a positive impact.
How can you make a difference?: The Operational Data Management Officer (AODMO) will function under the direct supervision of a Senior Registration or Protection staff in the regional bureau or country operation. The incumbent supports data-related activities conducted in the core applications, whether conducted by UNHCR, partners or Governments. They may receive functional and technical guidance from the Data, Identity Management and Analysis (DIMA) Unit, in the regional bureau, and the Global Data Service (GDS), in Headquarters.
Operational Data Management is an essential role that supports the data collection activities for the delivery of protection, targeted assistance, and for identification of durable solutions and provides high-quality, user-focused support services to UNHCR field operations, partners, and host States, in line with agreed standards and objectives. S/he also supports and implements provision of user access to systems and applications in accordance with data protection protocols.
Key responsibilities and duties::
- Manage and oversee the use, maintenance, and technical support of core operational data applications, including systems for refugee registration and identity management. Oversee the quality of data collection and ensure consistency with standards and guidelines. As a database administrator, monitor data synchronization to prevent and mitigate data loss for local field server machines containing operational data.
- Design and develop operational data reports templates and forms, ensuring consistency with UNHCR global guidance, policies, and timely dissemination in consultation with relevant stakeholders, including registration and information management.
- Oversee the monitoring user management and access permissions for UNHCR staff, local government, and NGO partners in global and local operational data applications. Regularly clean up user accounts and access permissions in accordance with relevant guidelines and procedures, aligning with UNHCR policies and standards, including the Data Protection Policy and regional or local data protection protocols.
- Provide business analysis for operational needs. Conduct data quality assessment, data clean-up, and mapping from legacy or external databases to the core applications. Conduct data collection audits as required and perform additional data-related tasks as needed.
- Oversee the capacity building and guidance of technical users and administrators, including the provision of training materials and remote webinars and training sessions for technical staff related to data management, data query, and report-building. Ensure the provision of training and user guidance related to the operational systems, reports, and statistics.
Who are we looking for?: Candidates with 6 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 5 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 4 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree.
Requirements: Excellent computer skills, particularly in data management. Strong technical expertise in data collection and analysis, operational data management and individual case management, including knowledge of UNHCR data standards and procedures. Knowledge of SQL, data manipulation with Microsoft Dynamics CRM, data transformation (ETL). Experience in designing and building reports templates. Strong managerial, planning, and coordination skills with a background in working with various partners including host governments, humanitarian entities, and development organizations.
Advantage: Previous Technical experience in data management using the PRIMES suite of tools from UNHCR, including proGres and BIMS software. Experience in registration, identity management, and individual case management. Demonstrate ability to work with a diverse range of partners, including host Governments, humanitarian organizations, and development partners. Strong knowledge of the policies, standards, programs, and operations of both UNHCR and the interagency. Familiarity with UNHCR’s data management policies, procedures, and guidelines, as well as the organization’s overall strategy and goals. Excellent skills in planning, programming, strategic planning, project development, budgeting, and resource mobilization. Completion of relevant UNHCR learning programs or training for the position.
For a more detailed description, please review the job description: (link)
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION: UNHCR’s workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. We seek to sustain and strengthen this diversity and to ensure equal opportunities, as well as an inclusive working environment, for our entire workforce. Joining us means living, sharing and promoting these core values of inclusion, diversity and gender equality.
Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on the grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.