UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
UNDP in Sittwe, Rakhine State
Operations Assistant (Myanmar Nationals Only)
Location : Sittwe, Rakhine State, MYANMAR
Application Deadline : 09-Aug-22 (Midnight New York, USA)
Type of Contract : Service Contract
Post Level : SC-3
Languages Required : English
Duration of Initial Contract : One year with possible extension
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The United Nations Organizations in Myanmar seek to recruit suitably qualified nationals for the position of Operations Assistant (1 post). The Operations Assistant works in close collaboration with the UNDSS Field Security Assistants and other UN personnel (especially Security Wardens) in providing support on telecommunications related issues and the tracking of field missions.
Under the supervision of the FSCO/FSA Rakhine, the Operations Assistant will be responsible for the day to day tracking of UN field missions in Rakhine State. S/he will also broadcast security related information originated from either the Security Adviser/FSCO/FSA which could affect operations; keep track of all UN vehicle movements; conduct telephone checks with UN staff as required and more specifically with Wardens and Deputy Wardens; and submit reports to the 24/7 UN Security Operations Centre (SOC) in Yangon.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Tracking of UN field missions and movement of personnel on missions
- Providing telecommunications support and advice
- Supports knowledge building/sharing
1. Function / Expected Results
Tracking of UN field missions and movement of personnel on missions, focusing on the achievement of the following:
- Record and track movement of UN vehicles and staff during field missions within Rakhine State.
- Maintain a detailed incident logbook for the daily checks and reports.
- Conduct telephone checks with UN staff members and wardens when requested to do so.
- Obtain accurate information for further action about all reported security incidents and other relevant occurrences during field missions, record such information and inform FSCO/FSA/SOC immediately.
- Submit Daily Tracking Sheets of missions completed to SOC in Yangon.
- Performs other security related tasks assigned by the SA/FSCO/FSA.
- Contact agency Security Focal Points regarding matters affecting staff security.
2. Function / Expected Results
Providing telecommunications support and advice, focusing on the achievement of the following:
- In coordination with the SA/FSCO/FSA, transmit security information to update UN staff in the field on updated security/emergency situation in the areas where they operate.
- Communicate with relevant local Government officials to obtain updated information about a specific area or developing security situation in order to ensure that missions are safe and secure.
- Act quickly in the event of an emergency and contact FSCO/FSA, Heads of Agencies and Agency Security Focal Person of concerned Agencies with relevant safety and security information that have potential to impact field missions.
3. Function / Expected Results
Supports knowledge building/sharing, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Maintain and update national and international staff lists at the duty station
- Monitor security situation in areas where field missions have gone/are located and report all incidents to the FSCO/FSA/SOC immediately.
- Maintain deep knowledge and understanding of geographic conditions of Rakhine State.
- Shares information with relevant Agency Heads and Focal Persons as and when necessary.
- Demonstrates commitment to UN mission, vision and values
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
Functional Competencies: Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience and provides helpful advice to others in the office
- Ability to provide basic telecommunications support services
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Windows and Office Suite
- Ability to work in a team environment, with minimum supervision
- Ability to plan, prioritize and initiative to solve problems
- Excellent communication skills
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexity
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
Required Skills and Experience
- High School education required to perform the duties of the post.
- Technical qualification with focus on telecommunications and/or related disciplines (computer science, engineering) is desirable but not a requirement.
- 3 years’ experience including experience in call-center communications is desirable.
- Good knowledge of computer applications (MS Office, internet);
- Experience as Radio Operator, Call agent or related is desirable.
- Proficiency in Myanmar and English languages (both oral and written).