The World Bank
World Bank in Washington, United States
Job #: req19911
Organization: World Bank
Sector: Climate Change
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
Location: Washington, DC,United States
Required Language(s): English
Preferred Language(s): Closing Date: 11/30/2022 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? The World Bank Group (WBG) is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries, a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty and promoting shared prosperity. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit (link)
The Climate Investment Funds (CIF) – one of the world’s largest multilateral funds – uses climate financing to help low and middle-income countries accelerate low-carbon, climate-resilient development. CIF supports an inclusive and just climate-smart future, focusing on diverse partnerships that de-risk green markets and unlock additional investments and financing. To date, 14 contributor countries have pledged over US$11 billion to CIF, leveraging an additional US$62 billion in co-financing in 72 recipient countries. Since its start, CIF has worked in the areas of clean technologies, energy access, climate resilience, and sustainable forests. And now, after identifying the next frontier of climate challenges, CIF is investing in five new areas: the transition from coal, climate-smart cities, nature-based solutions, industry decarbonization, and renewable energy integration. The CIF’s success is premised on a solid partnership with national governments, citizen groups and communities, private sector sponsors, the CIF governing bodies, and the five multilateral development banks that serve as co-financiers and implementing agencies of the CIF.
At the center of this collaboration is the CIF Secretariat, a 35-person secretariat hosted by The World Bank which supports the work of the CIF governing bodies, including strategy and policy development as well as reporting; manages internal and external institutional relations as well as strategic partnerships; supports program development; delivers a large program of thought leadership, knowledge and learning work; is responsible for portfolio risk management and new private sector capital mobilization modalities and initiatives. Duties and Accountabilities: The Operations Analyst will report to the CIF Manager, working in close collaboration with the program teams. Key responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Prepare briefings and related materials that translate ideas, objectives, corporate positions, and management principles into actionable information for senior CIF staff and external stakeholders
- Review relevant documentation (CIF and MDB project documents, 3rd party reports) and synthesize data to support CIF program teams and other colleagues
- Supports the programs team leads in the coordination with the MDBs on procedural matters for the different CIF programs and project implementation
- Support the development of knowledge products and case studies for programs and projects across the CIF portfolio, including CTF, SREP, PPCR, and FIP, to synthesize knowledge and lessons across the different CIF programs
- Coordinates and provides technical inputs in the implementation of several knowledge management and partnership efforts of the CIF with external partners
- Supports the program leads to identify potential partners and institutions on knowledge and analytical work on climate finance
- Coordinate with technical teams to ensure timely and high-quality responses on requests for briefs and updates to Senior Management and other day-to-day senior management requests;
- Prepare well-researched talking points for senior CIF staff;
- Organize and execute events, including conferences, workshops, retreats, and high-level meetings;
- Support the coordination of CIF’s engagement at key events, including the Conference of the Parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change;
- Plan and coordinate strategic missions for senior CIF staff;
- Support other analytical and operational initiatives as required
- Master’s degree with relevant experience in multilateral development banks operations, climate finance, or consulting or equal combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience
- Proven writing skills and strong command of English, along with demonstrated ability to produce high-quality briefs and reports on tight timelines.
- Strong research skills and attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to methodically and efficiently synthesize large volumes of information from diverse sources to compile data, prepare quantitative and qualitative reports, and present concepts, ideas, etc. for presentation.
- Capacity to follow up systematically and efficiently on a broad set of initiatives and decisions.
- Proactive and action-oriented with flexibility to respond to changing circumstances.
- Excellent interpersonal and team skills.
- Working knowledge of the climate finance architecture and multilateral climate funds; in-depth knowledge of the Climate Investment Funds a plus.
- Productive and comfortable at multi-tasking, with the capacity to work under pressure; capable of initiative and working independently under limited supervision. Note: If the selected candidate is a current World Bank Group Staff Member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, they will retain their Regular or Open-Ended appointment. If the selected candidate is a current World Bank Group Staff Member with a Term appointment that expires later than the end date of this appointment, they will retain the duration of their current Term appointment.
Click here for the five WBG COS Competencies for all staff: COS Competencies
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.