Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
CALL FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST – VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT : 2300178
Job Posting: 23/Jan/2023
Closure Date: 06/Feb/2023, 10:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit : DDCE
Job Type: Staff position
Type of Requisition : General Service
Grade Level : G-5
Primary Location: Italy-Rome
Duration : Fixed-term: 2 years with possibility of extension
Post Number : 0242403
CCOG Code : 2102
Staff in the General Service category are recruited locally from the Primary Location area, which is where the office is located.
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO’s values
- FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
- FAO staff are subject to the authority of the Director-General, who may assign them to any of the activities or offices of the Organization.
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) contributes to the achievement of the 2030 Agenda through the FAO Strategic Framework by supporting the transformation to MORE efficient, inclusive, resilient and sustainable agrifood systems, for better production, better nutrition, a better environment, and a better life, leaving no one behind.
The position is located in the World Food Forum (WFF) Unit, Office of the Chief Economist (DDCE), at FAO headquarters in Rome, Italy.
The Office Assistant coordinates and performs the full range of office support, management support and administrative tasks, providing for the smooth and efficient running of the Office. He/she ensures quality and consistency of the flow of office work and information in the work unit.
The Office Assistant reports to the WFF Coordinator and Chief Economist. The incumbent operates independently, takes decisions on work priorities and exercises initiative for dealing with cases without precedents. Supervision received is focused on the quality of work outputs. He/she provides guidance and advice to other office support staff.
The Office Assistant works closely with a wide range of colleagues in the division/region, with central units and external clients, performing and coordinating office and management support services, and providing procedural guidance and information.
- Screen requests for appointments with supervisor; maintain supervisor’s calendar; confirm mutually convenient schedules and arrange appointments; receive visitors; place and screen telephone calls; respond to queries and correspondence, often of a sensitive, confidential or technical nature;
- Coordinate office support services for meetings, trainings, seminars, committees, and special projects and events; attend meetings, prepare minutes, monitor follow-up activities; make arrangements for formal editing, translation, etc., of documents and publications;
- Review, record, distribute and process incoming mail and correspondence; follow-up on pending actions; prepare draft responses to a wide range of correspondence and other communications, often requiring knowledge of technical terminologies and/or detailed office procedures; carry out quality control functions for outgoing documents; proofread texts for adherence to format, grammar, punctuation and style;
- Perform a variety of administrative duties, e.g. contract extensions and requests for temporary staff, leave and attendance recording, budget preparation and follow-up; coordinate with other units to ensure smooth running and expedition of work within the unit;
- Research, compile, and organize background information and reference materials from various sources for reports, briefs and speeches; generate a variety of statistical and other reports from various databases;
- Coordinate the work of other office support staff, establish priorities and ensure equitable distribution of work; train new staff to relevant administrative procedures and practices and provide general assistance as required;
- Create and maintain the work unit’s filing and reference systems; review the efficiency of office procedures and make recommendations for improvements; update office websites;
- Perform other duties as required.
Impact of work
The incumbent’s work impacts directly on the smooth and efficient running of the Office. He/she plays a lead role in the provision of office support services for successful achievement of the organizational unit’s mandate.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS – candidates will be assessed against the following
Education: Secondary School Education Experience: Four years of relevant experience in office/management support work Languages: Working knowledge (proficient – level C) of English and limited knowledge (intermediate – level B) of another official language of the Organization (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) IT Skills: Very good knowledge of the MS Office applications, Internet and office technology equipment
Residency: General Service Staff are recruited locally. To be eligible for this position, candidates must be nationals of the country of the duty station or possess an existing visa/work permit, and reside within commuting distance of the duty station at the time of the application. “Commuting distance” means the distance within which staff members can travel daily between their place of work and their residence.
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Very good knowledge of communication and documentation standards
- Very good knowledge of corporate computerized financial/travel/Human Resources systems and administrative procedures and policies
- Very good knowledge of the organizational structure
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS – OPTIONAL
- Working knowledge (proficient – level C) of a second FAO official language
- Knowledge of organizational structure, administrative procedures and policies and matters of protocol of the Organization
- Knowledge of liaison with partners and high-level government representatives and protocol
- Ability to draft standard and complex correspondence, and to proofread texts/outgoing correspondence and formal documents
- Experience in organizing High Level events
- Knowledge of major web platforms used for the organization of virtual events
FAO staff are expected to adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO,
Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing)
- Please note that FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at (link)
- The length of the appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to extension of appointments
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
- General Service Staff are recruited locally. To be eligible for this position, candidates must be nationals of the country of the duty station or possess an existing visa/work permit, and reside within commuting distance of the duty station at the time of the application.”Commuting distance” means the distance within which staff members can travel daily between their place of work and their residence.
- No international benefits will be payable as selected candidates are recruited locally and paid in the local currency of the office location
- Other similar positions may be filled from this vacancy notice
- For additional information visit the FAO employment website: (link)
REMUNERATION A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, click on the following link: (link) allowances/salary.htm
HOW TO APPLY
- To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. Once completed, please apply and submit your application, with language certificates as attachments. Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications. FAO reserves the right to request candidates to undertake a language test in the future, as appropriate
- Incomplete applications will not be considered
- Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments and authorization to conduct verification checks of past and present work, character, education, military and police records to ascertain any and all information which may be pertinent to the employment qualifications
- Incomplete applications will not be considered
- Personal information provided on your application may be shared within FAO and with other companies acting on FAO’s behalf to provide employment support services such as pre-screening of applications, assessment tests, background checks and other related services. You will be asked to provide your consent before submitting your application. You may withdraw consent at any time, by withdrawing your application, in such case FAO will no longer be able to consider your application
- Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered
- Your application will be screened based on the information provided in your online profile
- We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
- If you need assistance please contact: [email protected]
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT