ICRC - International Committee of the Red Cross
ICRC HQ Geneva
Please note that the ICRC is not a UN-system organization.
Reports to (role)
- Project sponsor or Program Manager
What we do
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an independent, neutral organization providing humanitarian protection and assistance for victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence. It takes action in response to emergencies, works in protracted conflicts and other situations of violence and at the same time promotes respect for international humanitarian law (IHL) and its implementation in national law.
- The Outcome-based Approach (OBA) Program was established to design, test, implement, and evaluate both programmatic and organizational development changes, which will enable the ICRC to strengthen its delivery of sustainable humanitarian outcomes for affected people through a more effective and efficient functioning of the organization. It also seeks to alleviate several institutional issues related to clarity around roles and responsibilities, decision-making, and accountability.
- The OBA Program will strive to drive change in the institution through a participative and evidence-based methodology. Part of this includes co-creating, testing and learning through prototypes in specific delegations.
- The OBA Program focuses on outcomes, which makes the experience and knowledge of our colleagues in the field central to the co-creation and prototyping processes. The OBA Delegation Prototype Managers are thus deployed in delegations around the world, which have opted for participation in these programmatic and organisational development processes.
Purpose of the role
The OBA Delegation Prototype Manager coordinates the work of co-creation and prototyping teams in the delegation under the direct supervision and line management of the Head of Delegation and the functional management of the OBA HQ Prototype Manager.
Before the OBA Delegation Prototype Manager initiates the work, s/he will be trained in co-creation and prototyping methods, which find inspiration in design thinking, user centred design and other participatory methods. S/he then receives framework descriptions and works on different prototypes in parallel, which includes facilitating and conducting data collection, ideation, designing and testing, while s/he ensures monitoring, evaluation and learning as well as drafts the final proof of concept. Throughout the process, s/he manages the different prototypes as sub-projects.
In addition, the OBA Delegation Prototype Manager coordinates prototype developments with prototype managers working on related prototypes in different delegations, and s/he travels and tests prototypes in other delegations, which enhances prototype robustness and informs the proof of concept.
- Internally, the OBA Delegation Prototype Manager interacts with delegation prototyping teams in and outside the delegation of deployment as well as all relevant stakeholders impacted by the prototype development and possible implementation.
- Internally, the OBA Delegation Prototype Manager cooperates with the OBA Program at headquarters and takes advice from relevant specialists on regional and central levels.
- No external relationships
- Understands and adheres to the seven Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement
- Understands and adheres to the ICRC Code of Conduct
- Understands the roles of the components of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement
- Respects and observes staff regulations and security rules at all times
- Represents the ICRC in a professional manner at all times
- Develops and maintains a pleasant and conducive working environment with colleagues and line managers
- Performs all duties with the highest level of confidentiality in the interest of the employees and the ICRC
- May be asked to perform tasks not covered in this job description and to provide support to other departments when necessary
Accountabilities & Responsibilities
- Manages the individual prototype as a sub-project, which includes the full project cycle and a detailed workplan as well as management of quality, interdependencies and risks
- Coordinates the work of the prototyping teams responsible for providing experience and knowledge as well as active participation in the co-creation and prototyping process
- Organizes, prepares, conducts, coordinates, facilitates and reports on all co-creation and prototyping activities, which includes facilitating and conducting data collection, ideation, designing and testing as well as ensuring monitoring, evaluation and learning
- Works in an evidence based and structured manner allowing for robust advice for future piloting
- Drafts the final proof of concept
- Advices the delegation management on their contributions to the co-creation and prototyping process
- Works closely with the OBA Program together with other headquarter specialists and stakeholders providing knowledge and support
- Cooperates closely with the OBA HQ Prototype Manager taking advice on the specific prototypes, securing coherence among prototypes and ensuring alignment with institutional OBA objectives
- Cooperates closely with the OBA Communication and Change Manager, delegation communication colleagues and delegation management to develop and implement change management activities related to the prototypes
- Cooperates closely with other OBA Delegation Prototype Managers ensuring coherence and alignment between specific prototypes
- Project cycle management of sub-projects incl. detailed workplan
- Data collection, ideation, design, testing and evaluation of specific prototypes
- Organisation and facilitation of prototyping team workshops, meetings and other activities
- Draft of evidence based and robust proof of concept
- Development of change management and communication plans
The OBA Program needs a diversified group of prototype managers and encourages candidates with competencies covering a range of the following requirements to apply for the available positions:
- Has an educational background with at least a Bachelors but preferably a Masters in social and/or political science
- Can demonstrate knowledge and experiences in working on user centered design, Design Thinking, Network Governance or other participatory innovation approaches
- Can demonstrate knowledge and experiences working on management and/or governance concepts preferable including Outcome Based Approaches (OBA) and/or Result Based Management (RBM) approaches
- Can demonstrate knowledge and experiences working on qualitative and quantitative methods for data collection and data analysis preferable including common needs assessment and/or monitoring, evaluation and learning
- Can demonstrate tools and experiences in facilitating multiple-stakeholder activities and processes including workshops, processes and meetings
- Has good experience in project management
- Has experience working in a national public organisation, non-governmental organisation (NGO) and/or international organisation
- Brings a good understanding of work processes in a delegation and roles in the field incl. delegation and sub-delegation levels
- Has a good understanding of the functions of field operations
- Very good English skills both spoken and written.
- Good language skills in French, Arabic, Spanish or Russian is an asset.
- Has an innovative mindset and appreciate learnings from fail fast processes
- Adapts to evolving scope of work given the agile co-creation and prototyping processes
- Has a proactive approach and works on own initiative
- Appreciates both the development process and the following results
- Collaborates with multiple stakeholders, ensuring clarity and efficiency of role and deliverables.
- Has good facilitation and communication skills.
- Starting date: Ideally 1st September 2022
- Location: Pretoria, South Africa
- Length of assignment: 9 months
- Application deadline: 24/06/2022
Ready to apply? Don’t forget to check if you meet all the criteria before sending your application. You will need to upload your resume and a cover letter as well as copies of your diplomas and certifications, passport, and driving license.
The ICRC values diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates.