FAO - Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
FAO in Banjul, Gambia
National Project Coordinator
Job Posting: 16/Sep/2022
Closure Date: 07/Oct/2022, 9:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit : FRGAM – FAO Representation in Gambia
Job Type: Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition : NPP (National Project Personnel)
Grade Level : N/A
Primary Location: Gambia-Banjul
Duration : 12 months renewable
Post Number : N/A
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO’s values
- FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
FAO Gambia and partners are implementing the Climate Fishery Initiative for Livelihood Improvement in the Gambia (PROREFISH Gambia) project. The Project aims to address increased resilience and enhanced livelihoods, health, well being, food and water security of the most vulnerable people, communities and regions. Expected results include resilience of ecosystems, ecosystem services, infrastructure and the built environment to climate change threats as well as reduced emissions from land use, reforestation, reduced deforestation through sustainable forest management and conservation of forest stocks.The project will scale up adaptation measures that have been proven in a number of countries in West Africa, and in similar contexts, with a particular focus on climate-proofing fisheries infrastructure and on value chain segments dominated by women (fish handling and processing). The project will promote the adoption of aquaculture technologies and support the strengthening of the enabling environment for Gambian fisheries and promote a stronger engagement of the private sector.
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in The Gambia, the AFAOR-Programmes and the direct supervision of the Lead Technical Officer (LTO), the National Project Coordinator will act as the leader in the project implementation and will be responsible for leading, supervising and coordinating all activities aimed at the successful implementation of the project. The National Project Coordinator will be responsible for the overall and annual preparation of Work-plans and Budgets, preparation of contracts and agreements with Implementing Partners and consultants, participate in technical supervision of works under the project, manage contracts and ensure the overall daily management of the project.
The Project Coordinator will work in consultation with the Project Steering Committee, the Technical Advisory Committee, the FAO Evaluation Office, the Lead Technical Officer (LTO) and FAO-OCB, the Coordinator to coordinate project activities and deliver transformational change sought by the PROREFISH Project.
Leadership and technical expertise and project related services to support the delivery of the project objectives.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Coordinate and participate in the preparation of the Annual Work Plan and Budget.
- Ensure technical compliance with project objectives, outcomes and outputs, and follow the monitoring and Evaluation Plan prepared by the Monitoring and Evaluation Expert.
- Provide technical guidance to project partners in the implementation of the project.
- Establish and foster an effective line of communication with project implementation partners’ to enhance project implementation.
- Periodically conduct supervisory field visits and provide technical guidance to project technical personnel and implementing partners.
- Ensure effective contract management; ensuring that deliverables are completed on time in line with standards, specifications and value for money.
- Monitor risks according to the risk matrix (as stipulated in the project document) and ensure the implementation of mitigation measures.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual reports as required for project progress reporting as well as project terminal report.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Master’s degree in Fisheries, Natural Resources, Biological Sciences or related areas.
- Minimum of ten years’ experience in the field of Fisheries, Natural Resources or related areas.
- Minimum of five years’ experience in management, coordination of development projects or components financed by international funding partners.
- Working knowledge of English Language.
- National of Gambia
- Experience in the coordination of multidisciplinary teams.
- Knowledge and experience in results-based management, development and implementation of budgets, preparation of technical and financial reports, and monitoring and evaluation.
- Ability to prepare concise reports according to internationally acceptable standards.
- Knowledge and use of participatory planning tools.
- Extensive knowledge of the socioeconomic reality of The Gambia and gender mainstreaming.
- Proven ability to lead a team and capacity for teamwork.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Availability to travel frequently to the project sites.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing)
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help please contact: [email protected]
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted
- Please note that FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at (link)
- For additional employment opportunities visit the FAO employment website: (link)
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in its staff and international consultants in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
HOW TO APPLY
- To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. We strongly recommend that your profile is accurate, complete and includes your employment records, academic qualifications, and language skills
- Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile
- Once your profile is completed, please apply, and submit your application
- Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments and authorization to conduct verification checks of past and present work, character, education, military and police records to ascertain any and all information which may be pertinent to the employment qualifications
- Incomplete applications will not be considered
- Personal information provided on your application may be shared within FAO and with other companies acting on FAO’s behalf to provide employment support services such as pre-screening of applications, assessment tests, background checks and other related services. You will be asked to provide your consent before submitting your application. You may withdraw consent at any time, by withdrawing your application, in such case FAO will no longer be able to consider your application
- Only applications received through the FAO recruitment portal will be considered
- Your application will be screened based on the information provided in your online profile
- We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date. If you need help, or have queries, please contact: [email protected]
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT