Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
CALL FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST – VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT : 2200917
National Professional Officer (Irrigation Management)
Job Posting: 20/Jul/2022
Closure Date: 17/Aug/2022, 9:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit : PMUSA
Job Type: Staff position
Type of Requisition : NPO (National Professional Officer)
Grade Level : N-3
Primary Location: Saudi Arabia-Al Hofuf
Duration : Fixed-term: one year with possibility of extension
Post Number : 2008968
CCOG Code : 1H07
Important Notice – Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
The length of appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to the extension of appointments
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member nations and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold our values. FAO has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and FAO, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
- The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization.
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) contributes to the achievement of the 2030 Agenda through the FAO Strategic Framework by supporting the transformation to MORE efficient, inclusive, resilient and sustainable agrifood systems, for better production, better nutrition, a better environment, and a better life, leaving no one behind.
The Programme Management Unit (PMU) of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025) facilitates, coordinates and manages all technical and advisory services to be provided by FAO to the Saudi Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture (MoEWA) and its sister agencies. Within the framework of the Unilateral Trust Funds (UTF) Technical Cooperation Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed on 13 February 2019 between the Saudi Ministry of Environment, Water, and Agriculture on behalf of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, and FAO (2019-2025), the UTF project ‘UTF/SAU/053/SAU: Promoting efficient irrigation and water productivity amongst farmers’ and have been approved by the FAO and Saudi Irrigation Organization (SIO). The Project, developed jointly by SIO and FAO focuses directly on supporting implementation of the Saudi Irrigation Organization Corporate Strategy, which was developed within the context of the Saudi Vision 2030 and aims at strengthening the capacity of SIO to improve irrigation efficiency among small-scale farmers. The Project is expected to achieve the Outcome ‘Increased adoption of innovative and efficient irrigation technologies and practices in target Saudi regions’, and in turn contributing towards achieving the national development goal of improving irrigation efficiency and ensuring sustainable use of water resources in the Kingdom. The position is located in the Saudi Irrigation Organization in Al-Hassa in the Eastern Region of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
The National Professional Officer (Irrigation Management) reports directly to the Programme Coordinator in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in consultation with the project Technical Adviser (Irrigation Water Management) and in collaboration with the Director of the Directorate for Irrigation Development (SIO).
Programme development and management, coordination and operational support based on the knowledge of the local conditions, culture, language and institutions of the country of assignment.
Effective and efficient management and coordination of the technical and operational support of the programme and project activities of the FAO Office.
- Advises and liaises with government authorities, local, national and international institutions in the areas of FAO’s activities and other UN agencies. Represents FAO at inter-agency meetings.
- Promotes the image of FAO through advocacy of the Organization’s mandate, programmes, national priorities and activities including the coordination of development and maintenance of communication tools such as website, press releases and publications; provides FAO’s information, knowledge and resources to government, NGOs, the private sector and other local entities on food, nutrition and agriculture situations; and supports the implementation of FAO’s regulatory frameworks (Codex Alimentarius, Code of Conduct for Responsible Fisheries, Safe Use of Pesticides, etc.) in the country.
- Coordinates and manages the maintenance of country data on food, crops, livestock, forestry and fisheries including information on external aid in FAO’s corporate systems and monitor and communicate changes in national policies affecting the agricultural sector.
- Produces technical, economic and policy studies as required and participates in the development of country level development frameworks such as the Country Programming Framework (CPF) and the United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF).
- Identifies, formulates and prepares programme and project proposals, monitors and reviews the status of the programme/project implementation to ensure that all operational activities are carried out in line with the work plan and the project document; identifies inconsistencies and delays and submits proposals to the FAOR on how to improve results and increase efficiency.
- Briefs, trains and supervises lower grade level programme staff regarding all aspects of the job; ensures adherence to procedures and work requirements and accuracy and diligence of the work provided.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Monitors and supervises the execution of project activities, at both central and regional level in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, ensuring in particular close working relations with national and local authorities, and providing general supervision of national teams working at regional and field levels, and informs the Technical Adviser of issues that need attention and specific assistance.
- Provides coordination in the maintenance of country data on agriculture, irrigation and water monitor and communicate changes in national policies affecting the water and irrigation sector.
- Ensures that all operational activities are carried out in line with the work plan and the project document, and makes recommendations and details on how to improve results and increase efficiency.
- Contributes to the preparation of the project implementation planning consultation with nationals and concerned stakeholders.
- Liaises and coordinates with the relevant departments of the SIO at Head Office and regional branch levels as well as with MoEWA and other national stakeholders and partners to facilitate the smooth implementation of the Project’s activities.
- Contributes to consultation with concerned stakeholders to ensure validation of project recommendations and actions to implement the agreed-upon interventions/recommendations.
- Coordinates with concerned unit/team to ensure the preparation of plans, specifications, allocation, monitor and use of inputs and material required for the implementation of field interventions to benefit stakeholders.
- Contributes to the review of the project budgets, preparation of expenditure plans for the project and preparation of periodic progress reports and terminal report of the project.
- Identifies constraints and issues that require timely resolution and corrective actions.
- Provides support and advice to the Technical Adviser and FAO missions, consultants and experts visiting/engaging in assignments in the Kingdom.
- Assists in preparing itineraries, appointments and liaising with the government agencies and other stakeholders to assist with travel and other logistical arrangements and supports.
- Provides support in the design and conducting of the project diagnostic and baseline studies.
- Ensures that project investment and support components including the provision of equipment, construction of demo plots, extension sites and others are timely completed.
- Participates in assessing training needs of the Project, development of integrated and coordinated training programme including in-country, overseas training courses and study tours and oversees its implementation and evaluation.
- Contributes with the Technical Adviser and other technical advisors in the preparation and implementation of the Project joint activities.
- Performs other duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- National of the the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Advanced university degree in agriculture, agricultural economics, forestry, fisheries or any other field related to the work of the Organization.
- Five years of relevant experience in agricultural development and/or project implementation in an area of FAO’s activities in the country.
- Working knowledge (proficient – level C) of English and Arabic.
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions.
- Extent and relevance of experience in programme/project development and management.
- Demonstrated understanding of the purpose and functions of the technical programme, operational guidelines and project/programme management procedures, preferably those adopted by the United Nations or FAO.
- Extent and relevance of experience in the field of policy analysis relating to food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development OR extent and relevance of experience in the collection of country data on food, crops, livestock, forestry and fisheries.
- Extent and relevance of experience in the identification, formulation and preparation of programme and project proposals as well as programme/project implementation, monitoring and review.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency. GENERAL INFORMATION
- Staff members in this category are recruited locally and paid according to a local salary scale. Salary scales are reviewed periodically on the basis of comprehensive surveys of the best prevailing conditions of employment in the locality.
- FAO reserves the right not to make an appointment, to make an appointment at a lower grade, or to make an appointment with a modified job description.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required. Vaccination status will be verified as part of the medical clearance process
CONDITIONS OF SERVICE A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, click on the following link: (link) FAO encourages a positive workplace culture to increase inclusivity and diversity within its workforce. FAO applies measures in which all staff members contribute equally and in full to the work and development of the Organization. This includes:
- elements of family-friendly policies
- flexible working arrangements
- standards of conduct
HOW TO APPLY
- To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. We strongly recommend that your profile is accurate, complete and includes your employment records, academic qualifications, and language skills
- Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile
- Once your profile is completed, please apply, and submit your application
- Please note that FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at (link)
- Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments and authorization to conduct verification checks of past and present work, character, education, military and police records to ascertain any and all information which may be pertinent to the employment qualifications
- Incomplete applications will not be considered
- Personal information provided on your application may be shared within FAO and with other companies acting on FAO’s behalf to provide employment support services such as pre-screening of applications, assessment tests, background checks and other related services. You will be asked to provide your consent before submitting your application. You may withdraw consent at any time, by withdrawing your application, in such case FAO will no longer be able to consider your application
- Only applications received through the FAO recruitment portal will be considered
- Your application will be screened based on the information provided in your online profile
- We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
If you need help, or have queries, please contact: [email protected]
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT