Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
FAO Regional Office for Europe and Central Asia
CALL FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST – VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT : 2202087
National Professional Officer (Finance)
Job Posting: 25/Jul/2022
Closure Date: 15/Aug/2022, 9:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit : CSLC
Job Type: Staff position
Type of Requisition : NPO (National Professional Officer)
Grade Level : N-2
Primary Location: Hungary-Budapest
Duration : Fixed-term: one year with the possibility of extension
Post Number : 2009186
CCOG Code : 1A01
Important Notice – Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
The length of appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to the extension of appointments
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member nations and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold our values. FAO has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and FAO, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
- The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization.
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) contributes to the achievement of the 2030 Agenda through the FAO Strategic Framework by supporting the transformation to MORE efficient, inclusive, resilient and sustainable agrifood systems, for better production, better nutrition, a better environment, and a better life, leaving no one behind.
The Shared Services Centre (SSC) recommends and administers process management and procedures that need to be executed effectively; ensures the management of quality assurance activities associated with the transactional processes and implementation of service delivery; continuously improves the satisfaction of its customers, internal or external, while pursuing a continuous improvement agenda that will drive up service excellence while driving down the costs of service delivery through process standardization, process automation and self-service capabilities.
The National Professional Officer (Finance) reports to the SSC Finance Officer, Head of Finance Unit.
Programme administration and financial management, including accounting.
Effective and efficient provision of administrative support in the area of finance.
- Advises on and support the Head of SSC Finance Unit with respect to all areas of finance and accounting;
- Supervises the activities of an operational team in the area of banking, accounts payable, assets, bank reconciliation, and any other team defined in the SSC Finance Unit;
- Participates in work planning within the SSC;
- Ensures that financial transactions comply with organizational rules, regulations, policies and procedures; acts as certifying officer;
- Leads the creation and maintenance of Standard Operational Procedures (SOPs) in the area of banking, accounts payable assets and bank reconciliation;
- Monitors the performance management of the finance function within the SSC, ensuring timely completion within established Service Level Agreements (SLAs) and tracking of statistics;
- Coordinates the development of training and related training materials and promotes best practices and capacity development at headquarters and in Decentralized Offices;
- Coordinates process improvement initiatives and undertakes requirements gathering activities in the assigned area of work in collaboration with Decentralized Offices and the Finance Division.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- National of Hungary.
- Advanced university degree in a field related to business or public administration and two years of relevant experience in office management, administration, accounting and/or audit, budget or finance.
- Working knowledge (proficient – level C) of English.
- Working knowledge (proficient – level C) of the local language (Hungarian).
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Extent and relevance of experience in finance, business analysis, banking and/or accounting as well as payment processing and/or reconciliation or supplier banking records masterfile maintenance.
- Extent and relevance of knowledge and experience in analysing and evaluating financial reports and/or experience in International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS).
- Knowledge of UN or standard operational rules and procedures, and knowledge of administrative management procedures of projects and programmes is considered an asset.
- Knowledge of FAO’s corporate systems and database, or knowledge of other financial modules or applications relevant to finance operation is considered an asset.
- Experience in a shared services or business support centre is highly desirable.
- Limited knowledge (intermediate – level B) of Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish is highly desirable.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency. GENERAL INFORMATION
- Staff members in this category are recruited locally and paid according to a local salary scale. Salary scales are reviewed periodically on the basis of comprehensive surveys of the best prevailing conditions of employment in the locality.
- FAO reserves the right not to make an appointment, to make an appointment at a lower grade, or to make an appointment with a modified job description.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
CONDITIONS OF SERVICE A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, click on the following link: (link) FAO encourages a positive workplace culture to increase inclusivity and diversity within its workforce. FAO applies measures in which all staff members contribute equally and in full to the work and development of the Organization. This includes:
- elements of family-friendly policies
- flexible working arrangements
- standards of conduct
HOW TO APPLY
- To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. We strongly recommend that your profile is accurate, complete and includes your employment records, academic qualifications, and language skills
- Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile
- Once your profile is completed, please apply, and submit your application
- Please note that FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at (link)
- Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments and authorization to conduct verification checks of past and present work, character, education, military and police records to ascertain any and all information which may be pertinent to the employment qualifications
- Incomplete applications will not be considered
- Personal information provided on your application may be shared within FAO and with other companies acting on FAO’s behalf to provide employment support services such as pre-screening of applications, assessment tests, background checks and other related services. You will be asked to provide your consent before submitting your application. You may withdraw consent at any time, by withdrawing your application, in such case FAO will no longer be able to consider your application
- Only applications received through the FAO recruitment portal will be considered
- Your application will be screened based on the information provided in your online profile
- We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
If you need help, or have queries, please contact: [email protected]
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT