UNFPA - United Nations Population Fund
Job Identification : 7454
Locations : Johannesburg, South Africa
Posting Date : 12/15/2022, 12:43 PM
Apply Before : 01/16/2023, 12:43 PM
Job Schedule : Full time
Grade : G5
Vacancy Type : Fixed Term
Rotational/Non Rotational : Rotational
Contract Duration : 1 Year with Possibility for extension
Education and Work Experience : High School certificate – 5 year(s) experience
First level university degree in business/public administration, finance, economics or relevant social science discipline desirable.
Required Languages : Fluency in oral and written English.
Working knowledge of French and/or Portuguese, an asset.
Vacancy Timeline : 4 Weeks
Job Category : Administration/Operations/Support
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS POSITION IS OPEN TO NATIONALS, PERMANENT RESIDENTS & HOLDERS OF VALID WORK PERMITS FOR SOUTH AFRICA.
The Programme Assistant position is located in the East and Southern Regional Office of UNFPA, Johannesburg and reports to a Deputy Director or Programme Adviser.
The Programme Assistant is part of the Integrated Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights Unit, which provides integrated programme and technical support within a systems strengthening approach fundamental to UNFPA’s overall strategy. The Programme Assistant also works in close collaboration with the Operations Manager (OM) and his/her team to ensure timely support to COs on operational matters.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s strategic plan (2022-2025), reaffirms the relevance of the current strategic direction of UNFPA and focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices. These results capture our strategic commitments on accelerating progress towards realizing the ICPD and SDGs in the Decade of Action leading up to 2030. Our strategic plan calls upon UN Member States, organizations and individuals to “build forward better”, while addressing the negative impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic on women’s and girls’ access to sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights, recover lost gains and realize our goals.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
The Programme Assistant provides programme, administrative and financial support to the programme and technical team, especially to advice and support to COs in the region, and to support the management of the regional programme. The Programme Assistant also provides some data and research assistance.
You would be responsible for the following:
- Assist the technical and programme team, in collaboration with the OM office, in providing support and advice to the COs on operational and programme matters;
- Undertake all logistical, administrative and financial arrangements required for the organization of technical workshops, inter-agency meetings, panel discussions, roundtables, missions, and other events organized by the programme and technical team;
- Assist ESARO in coordinating the UNFPA technical network in the substantive area;
- Assist in the preparation and monitoring process of the OMP;
- Assist in the preparation, implementation and monitoring process of the regional programme;
- Review incoming correspondence, collect and prepare necessary information for reply / action, and draft and finalize response;
- Prepare first drafts of responses to inquiries received by the programme and technical team for action by supervising officers;
- Prepare travel authorizations and make travel arrangements;
- Contribute to maintaining the office filing system and assist in archiving;
- Maintain and update country, partners and project files, including project progress reports, work plans and budgets in compliance with guidelines for the regional programme;
- Prepare requisition request in ATLAS with input from the programme and technical team members; utilize Atlas to produce monthly reports on the financial status of programmes or projects; create vouchers and payments in Atlas, as needed;
- Apply UNFPA rules, regulations and procedures:
- Follow up on the submission of financial reports by COS and partners;
- Perform research assistance duties including bibliographic and database searches; summarize information and draft contributions to ESARO reports, papers, technical notes, and publications;
- Identify sources, and gather and compile data and information for the preparation of documents, guidelines, speeches and position papers;
- Assemble briefing materials and prepare power-point and other presentations for the technical and programme team members;
- Organize, compile and process information from donors, Regional Offices, programme countries, and country offices, as inputs to various databases and documents; and
- Carry out any other duties as may be required by the Deputy Director or Programme Adviser.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Completed Secondary Level Education required.
- First level university degree in business/public administration, finance, economics or relevant social science discipline desirable.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Five years of relevant experience in project/programme management in private, national and/or international organizations including some experience in research assistance.
- Previous experience in the UN is an advantage;
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills;
- Computer literacy – Word, Excel, Power-point, etc.;
- Good knowledge of Atlas / People soft or other ERP system;
- Good writing and communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment
Fluency in oral and written English. Working knowledge of French and/or Portuguese, an asset.
- Exemplifying integrity,
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system,
- Embracing cultural diversity,
- Embracing change
- Achieving results,
- Being accountable,
- Developing and applying professional expertise/business acumen,
- Thinking analytically and strategically,
- Working in teams/managing ourselves and our relationships,
- Logistical support
- Managing data
- Managing documents, correspondence and reports
- Managing information and workflow
- Planning, organizing and multi-tasking
- Managing financial processes
- Job knowledge / technical expertise
- Proficiency in current office software applications; good basic knowledge of finances and mastery of a series of financial and spreadsheet software.
Compensation and Benefits:
This position offers an attractive remuneration package including a competitive net salary plus health insurance and other benefits as applicable.
UNFPA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Fraudulent notices, letters or offers may be submitted to the UNFPA fraud hotline (link)
In accordance with the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations, persons applying to posts in the international Professional category, who hold permanent resident status in a country other than their country of nationality, may be required to renounce such status upon their appointment.