UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
UNDP Kabul, Afghanistan
Job Identification : 5939
Locations : Kabul, Afghanistan
Posting Date : 09/19/2022, 05:29 PM
Apply Before : 10/04/2022, 03:59 AM
Job Schedule : Full time
Agency : UNOCHA
Grade : NOA
Vacancy Type : Fixed Term
Practice Area : Effectiveness
Bureau : Regional Bureau for Asia and the Pacific
Contract Duration : 1 Year with Possibility for extension
Education & Work Experience : Master’s Degree
Required Languages : Fluency in spoken and written English is required.
Mobility required/no mobility
no mobility required
Afghanistan is experiencing political, social and economic shocks across the country with a massive deterioration of the humanitarian and protection situation in 2021 and the outlook remaining profoundly uncertain. Internal displacement, drought and a developing economic crisis are contributing to increased strain on limited resources, livelihoods and basic services, and an increase in protection risks, especially for at-risk groups. It is estimated that more than 5.8 million people have been displaced by conflict and disasters inside the country since 2012. Because of the multi-dimensional threats facing Afghanistan of economic collapse, political instability, conflict and climate change, humanitarian needs are deep and widespread across the country, affecting all provinces. Afghanistan’s rural and urban communities have been aggravated by armed conflict, drought, economic shocks, and lack of recovery.
Afghanistan is also prone to earthquakes, floods, droughts, landslides and avalanches. Climate change and environmental degradation have contributed to the increased vulnerability of the Afghan people to cope with the sudden shock of natural disasters and increased risk to livelihoods. Each year about 230,000 people are affected by natural disasters which destroy shelter, crops, food stocks and cause damage to household and community assets such as water and sanitation infrastructure.
OCHA is the part of the United Nations Secretariat responsible for bringing together humanitarian actors to ensure a coherent response to emergencies. OCHA also ensures there is a framework within which each actor can contribute to the overall response effort. With its partners, OCHA contributes to principled and effective humanitarian response through coordination, advocacy, policy, information management and humanitarian financing tools and services.
The Data Management Analyst is expected to provide direct support to the Humanitarian Financing Unit in relation to information management, monitoring, reporting and design, as well as assisting with administrative and logistical issues while required. Work involves frequent interaction with other OCHA units, regional cluster representatives, Country-based Pooled Fund colleagues and humanitarian partners.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1.) Preparation of dashboards, maps, reports and infographics
Produce and update information products such as reports, charts and infographics by turning data into graphical products to convey messages and a storyline; Prepare and maintain online dashboards using Power BI platforms; maps; infographics/reports/visibility materials using Adobe InDesign and Adobe Illustrator.
2.) Maintain Afghanistan Humanitarian Fund website and databases
Collect, update, and verify humanitarian contact lists; collect, analyses and report project data; Updating websites either through HTML or content management system.
3.) Develop web-based and desktop applications and design surveys and feedback forms
Design surveys and feedback forms using Survey Monkey/Kobo toolbox; act as focal point on technical issues. Designing apps on PowerApps platform of the Office 365.
4.) Administrative and technical support
Assist with meetings and events including posting key documents on relevant OCHA-managed websites.
5.) Any other activities as directed by the Head of Humanitarian Financing
Support with project monitoring systems, other administration and logistics support as required.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by the deadline
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is a pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
- Learn Continuously LEVEL 1: Open-minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
- Adapt with Agility LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
- Act with Determination LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
- Engage and Partner LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
Digital & Innovation- Data analysis
- Ability to extract, analyze and visualize data (including Real-Time Data) to form meaningful insights and aid effective decision-making to meet HFU/AHF’s objectives
- Ability to plan the use of resources through digital channels to reach and engage target audiences effectively and to achieve objectives
Digital & Innovation-Visualization & mapping
- Ability to visualize and clarify ideas, processes, or (complex) situations by making quick sketches, and drawings, or using diagrams, illustrations, photos, videos, animations, and three-dimensional mock-ups to support group dialogues, reflection, ideation, problem-solving, or decision-making.
- Ability to communicate in a clear, concise, and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience.
- Ability to manage communications internally and externally, through media, social media, and other appropriate channels
Business Management-Customer Satisfaction/Client Management
- Ability to respond timely and appropriately with a sense of urgency, provide consistent solutions, and deliver timely and quality results and/or solutions to fulfill and understand the real customers’ needs.
- Provide inputs to the development of customer service strategy.
- Look for ways to add value beyond clients’ immediate requests.
- Ability to anticipate clients’ upcoming needs and concerns.
Information Management & Technology-Data Management & Analytics
- Knowledge in data management, data sciences, ability to structure data, develop dashboards, and visualization. Design data warehouses, data lakes, or data platforms concepts. Familiarity with Machine learning natural language processing or generation and the use of artificial intelligence to support predictive analytics. CDMP or TOGAF9 or equivalent certification desirable.
Digital & Innovation-Data governance
- Knowledge of data science, skills to develop data management tools, organize and maintain databases and operate data visualization technologies
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Management, International Studies, or another relevant field of study is required.
- A minimum of one year (with Master’s Degree) or three years (with a bachelor’s degree) of relevant experience in humanitarian programming and operations is required.
- A Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Management, International Studies or another relevant field of study is desired.
- Experience working with Adobe InDesign and Illustrator required.
- Experience with United Nations or a Non-Government Organization, preferably with at least two years with a UN organization or an NGO is desirable
- Experience working with data management (including analysis) and design/maintenance of databases and online dashboards using Power BI is desired.
- Experience updating websites is desired.
- Experience working with PowerApps, HTML, any scripting language is desired
- Fluency in spoken and written English is required.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fees in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.