World Health Organization (WHO)
WHO Colombo, Sri Lanka
Epidemiology & Biostatistics
( 2208056 )
Contractual Arrangement : External consultant
Contract Duration (Years, Months, Days) : 6 months
Job Posting: Sep 13, 2022, 9:33:32 AM
Purpose of consultancy
WHO is seeking a Senior Consultant with expertise in the fields of epidemiology and biostatistics to provide the overall guidance for the technical units in the Country Office (WCO).
The WCO recognizes the importance e pidemiological and biostatistical analysis of local data gathered through routine surveillance and other information systems in the country, including Ministry of Health, Department of census and statistics, other government Ministries and Departments and NGOs. Comparison of local data such as trends in time and distribution as well as comparison with global data are vital for evidence-generation and strategic planning.
In this regard, the Consultant is expected to strengthen the capacity of the technical units in the WCO in the key areas of epidemiology and biostatistics, for analysis and interpretation of relevant local data I and their documentation. Review of technical papers, research articles, fact sheets, web postings and other publications of the WCO, particularly in relation to their epidemiological and statistical relevance and accuracy are among others. The Consultant is also expected to provide technical guidance for studies and surveys and other evidence generation activities undertaken or coordinated by the WCO including their publications . Further, as WHO’s support to MoH, WCO has undertaken evidence synthesis activity for improving health systems efficiency in the dual challenge of a prolonged global pandemic and an unprecedented economic crisis in Sri Lanka. The Consultant is expected to provide technical guidance on the a nalytical work to be done by the technical teams and the subsequent consolidation and publication of recommendations into a Policy Options document.
- Capacity building of WCO staff in epidemiology and biostatistics for analysis, interpretation and documentation of relevant data.
- All technical papers, research articles, fact sheets, web postings and other publications of the WCO reviewed.
- Technical guidance provided for all studies and surveys conducted by the WCO.
Work to be performed
Under the general supervision of the Public Health Administrator and in close consultation with the WCO team, the Consultant will work (as a part-time consultancy) to:
- Provide support to strengthen the capacity of the technical units in the WCO in the key areas of epidemiology and biostatistics, for analysis and interpretation of relevant data i.e., local and global for technical reporting, decision making and policy recommendations.
- Provide technical guidance to the technical units in the WCO for documentation including publications of fact sheets on a regular basis.
- Review technical papers, research articles, fact sheets and other publications of the WCO, particularly in relation to their epidemiological and statistical relevance and accuracy. Assist in the technical editing and ensuring the accuracy of web postings related to health events and activities.
- Provide technical guidance for studies and surveys and evidence generation activities undertaken or coordinated by the WCO in collaboration with Ministry of Health and other stakeholders in Ministries.
- Whenever necessary represent the WHO at technical meetings related to the areas of expertise in the Ministry of Health or outside.
- Support the WR and the team in any other matters related to his/her expertise and experience.
Qualifications, experience, skills and languages
Essential: Advanced University degree from a recognized University on public health with epidemiology and biostatistics as major fields
- Specialization or training in advanced epidemiology and biostatistics at national or international level
Essential: At least 15 years work experience in the field of advanced epidemiology and biostatistics
- Experience in conducting research related to advanced epidemiology and biostatistics
- Demonstrated experience in review of research articles at the national or international level
Skills/Knowledge: Excellent knowledge of computer applications; ability to make oral and written presentations; and ability to write detailed, coherent, and concise briefing documents.
Languages and level required (Basic/Intermediate/Advanced):
Excellent written and spoken English, fluency in Sinhala or Tamil.
On site: Colombo, Sri Lanka (WCO Office)
Travel: No travel involved is involved during the consultancy assignment
Remuneration and budget (travel costs are excluded):
- Remuneration: National Consultant, NO-C (Max) – LKR 945,892 per month
- Expected duration of contract: 6 Months
- This vacancy notice may be used to identify candidates for other similar consultancies at the same level.
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- If your candidature is retained for interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/ diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: (link) Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- For information on WHO’s operations please visit: (link) .
- WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- Applications from women are encouraged.
- WHO prides itself on a workforce that adheres to the highest ethical and professional standards and that is committed to put the WHO Values Charter into practice.
- WHO has zero tolerance towards sexual exploitation and abuse (SEA), sexual harassment and other types of abusive conduct (i.e., discrimination, abuse of authority and harassment). All members of the WHO workforce have a role to play in promoting a safe and respectful workplace and should report to WHO any actual or suspected cases of SEA, sexual harassment and other types of abusive conduct. To ensure that individuals with a substantiated history of SEA, sexual harassment or other types of abusive conduct are not hired by the Organization, WHO will conduct a background verification of final candidates.
- Consultants shall perform the work as independent contractors in a personal capacity, and not as a representative of any entity or authority. The execution of the work under a consultant contract does not create an employer/employee relationship between WHO and the Consultant.
- WHO shall have no responsibility whatsoever for any taxes, duties, social security contributions or other contributions payable by the Consultant. The Consultant shall be solely responsible for withholding and paying any taxes, duties, social security contributions and any other contributions which are applicable to the Consultant in in each location/jurisdiction in which the work hereunder is performed, and the Consultant shall not be entitled to any reimbursement thereof by WHO.
- This assignment is subject to local recruitment and will be filled by persons recruited in the local commuting area of the duty station/assignment location.