World Health Organization (WHO)
WHO in Lilongwe, Malawi
Malaria Vaccine Implementation Programme ConsultantConsultants template
( 2209644 )
Contractual Arrangement : External consultant
Contract Duration (Years, Months, Days) : 2 months
Job Posting: Oct 19, 2022, 12:28:06 PM
T he Malaria Vaccine Implementation Programme (MVIP) coordinates and supports the phased introduction of the RTS,S/AS01 Malaria vaccine in selected areas of three African countries (Ghana, Kenya, and Malawi) through 2023. The purpose of the pilot implementation programme is to answer critical questions related to programmatic feasibility, impact, and safety of RTS,S/AS01. In October 2021, the project achieved a significant milestone when the WHO issued a recommendation for the RTS,S/AS01 to be used for the prevention of Plasmodium falciparum malaria in children living in sub-Saharan Africa and in other regions with moderate to high transmission. Following the recommendation, additional funding has been secured to facilitate rapid roll-out of the RTS,S/AS01 malaria vaccine in MVIP comparison areas.
The purpose of this position is to provide in-country team coordination and oversight of the programme activities, assuring successful implementation and expansion of the MVIP in country. The incumbent will serve as the WHO Country Office (WCO) MVIP focal point. He/she will work in the WCO Team and in close collaboration with the MOH, PATH, IST, AFRO and HQ colleagues to fulfil the joint Immunization/Global Malaria Programme objectives in facilitating pilot implementation and expansion of RTS,S/AS01 malaria vaccine.
As the counterpart to MOH MVIP focal point, supports the overall project coordination and resource management in country. Works closely with the National Government to support scientific, technical and policy aspects of the pilot. In collaboration with PATH and MOH focal points, facilitates work of the Malaria Vaccine Technical Working Group to ensure timely implementation of pilot activities (including expansion of vaccination to comparison areas) across all work streams. Ensures appropriate liaison with Project Coordination Team and partners at global and regional level. Engage with MVIP Evaluation Partners on case control study. Maintains a professional positive atmosphere in the country team. Serves as the focal point for the MVIP team at WHO HQ,AFRO and in the other MVIP WCOs. Serves as the liaison between the MVIP team at country level and headquarters, AFRO and country level partners. Updates the WR and in-country partners on the progress of the MVIP.
Qualifications, experience, skills and languages
Essential : Medical degree and Masters’ Degree in Public Health or Epidemiology or other related field.
- Desirable: University degree in Medicine or Doctorate in Health Sciences and Post-Graduate degree in Public Health / outbreak and emergency management /Humanitarian relief/Epidemiology
- At least 5 years’ experience of relevant work experience at the national and international levels in malaria and/or immunization programmes in low-resource environments.
- Demonstrated experience in working with MOH and partners on the development, planning, implementation or monitoring and evaluation of health strategies and programmes.
- Proven experience to work to deadlines and budgets, in collaboration with a diverse range of stakeholders.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Experience using data for decision making.
- Experience in immunization or EPI programmes.
- Additional experience in malaria control.
- Experience in doing costing and budgeting and working in collaboration with diverse range of stakeholders.
- Demonstrated in-depth knowledge of principles, practices, methodology and techniques of RTS,S MVIP programme
- Excellent capacity in programme management, coordination, and organization.
- Excellent understanding of malaria and EPI programme, and child health.
- Ability to work as a team member, and sensitivity to working in a multi-cultural environment.
- Outstanding communication and team building skills.
Languages and level required
Essential: Fluent knowledge of English