Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Job Requisition Type: Evergreen (Formerly known as talent pools, in order to have a balanced number of ready-to-hire candidates who can be deployed at short notice to a vacancy that best matches their skills. Evergreens are primarily used to fill Temporary Appointments.)
Call for applications – Livelihood & Economic Inclusion Officer, P3: Location: Various location
Why should you join us?: UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, takes the lead in protecting people forced to flee wars and persecution around the world, providing life-saving aid including shelter, food and water to ensure their basic safety, rights and dignity. With 18,879 women and men working in 137 countries, we work tirelessly to make a difference in the lives of 89.3 million forcibly displaced people worldwide.: Our dedicated and professional staff work around the clock in roles including legal protection, community services, public affairs, health and more. Despite the challenges they can face, our staff are proud to work for UNHCR and determined to make a positive impact.
How can you make a difference?: The Livelihood and Economic Inclusion Officer should be proactive, always looking for new opportunities, and persuasive in mobilizing donors and new partners around new models of economic and financial inclusion. The incumbent will play a role in formulating interventions that position UNHCR a key catalyst for livelihoods and the economic inclusion of refugees.
S/he will interact with both internal and external counterparts. The incumbent will work closely with multi-functional teams on matters including but not limited to protection, education, cash, partnerships, research and analytics, GBV, solutions, complementary pathways and more. Externally, the Livelihoods and Economic Inclusion Officer will help promote refugees’ economic inclusion through effective partnerships with relevant government line ministries, development actors, the private sector, UN agencies, international organisations and NGOs, and research institutions and universities, both at the global and country levels.
Key responsibilities and duties::
- Act as sector expert for livelihoods and economic inclusion.
- Provide relevant technical expertise to senior management, staff and partners, ensure coordination of the livelihoods working group in the operation and represent UNHCR Livelihoods and Economic Inclusion Unit as appropriate and necessary in meetings within and outside UNHCR.
- Maintain and develop strategic partnerships, mobilize resources, facilitate joint programming to enhance the enabling environment and facilitate economic and financial inclusion of stateless and displaced persons.
- Facilitate the design, planning and implementation of the operation’s market-based livelihoods and economic inclusion strategy and provide technical guidance to advance employment, self-employment, agricultural livelihoods, and self-reliance of displaced persons, and enhance the enabling environment for economic and financial inclusion.
- Design and coordinate data collection and analysis for evidence-based advocacy livelihoods and economic inclusion programming including socio-economic assessments, joint assessment missions, refugee-specific labor policy analysis, market assessment and analysis, monitoring and evaluation.
- Promote knowledge-sharing and exchange and ensure the documentation of impact, good practices and lessons learned.
Who are we looking for?: Candidates with 6 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 5 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 4 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree.
Requirements: Technical competencies in sub-sectors relevant to livelihoods programming e.g. financial inclusion, employment, entrepreneurship, private sector development, local economic development, poverty reduction, agriculture, livestock, vocational and technical education, and training, etc. Experience in facilitating the economic inclusion of vulnerable and marginalized groups and managing and advising on development processes in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders, ideally in varied field contexts. Experience in working with and developing partnerships with private sector, NGOs, UN organisations, development actors, and government authorities in sub-sectors relevant to livelihood programming e.g. financial inclusion, employment, entrepreneurship, private sector development, local economic development, poverty reduction, agriculture, livestock, vocational and technical education and training, etc. Experience in conducting sector assessments using quality social-science methods and tools, and in developing at least one comprehensive multi-year strategic plan for livelihoods and economic inclusion.
Advantage: Experience with UNHCR policies and standards.
Previous exposure to refugee/forced displacement/returnee situations.
Knowledge about latest developments around economic inclusion of displaced and stateless persons, and broader UN processes on the SDGs and the Global Compact on Refugees.
For a more detailed description, please review the job description: (link)
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION: UNHCR’s workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. We seek to sustain and strengthen this diversity and to ensure equal opportunities, as well as an inclusive working environment, for our entire workforce. Joining us means living, sharing and promoting these core values of inclusion, diversity and gender equality.
Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on the grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.